Search

Consolidated "Scenic taxi scam/longhauling - experiences, how to stop" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2013, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yup, you were longhauled.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
Is a cab ride to the Palazzo not quicker and cheaper on the freeway?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I don't see how it would be. Should be about $16 plus tip.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Geoggy
Is a cab ride to the Palazzo not quicker and cheaper on the freeway?
Cheaper? No way. Tunneling can add anywhere from 3-4.5 miles depending on the hotel and the terminal. As I mention in a past FT post, waiting time charges from taking surface streets are not going to come anywhere close to making up for this additional mileage.

Quicker? Depends on the time of day and the hotel location (both how close to the airport and on what side of the Strip). I doubt anything south of Wynn or so is ever quicker on the highway, with the possible exception of Mirage since there is a north entrance to the property on Spring Mountain just off the I-15 exit.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:38 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
Ok thanks
Old Sep 29, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, others including Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by john398
Tell them you want to be taken to your hotel via Swenson Avenue
Just realized that we'll be landing around 5pm, will that make a difference with traffic?

Also, when returning to the airport, do I mention Swenson again (or is that one-way)?

THANK YOU
Old Sep 30, 2013, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Traffic will likely be heavier everywhere so my answer is no, it will all be relative. And I always mention it so they know I know.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:51 am

Does that happen often? I mean that cabbies try to rip you off?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by flyerred
Was at the Venetian and headed to McCarran on Sunday for a 1 PM flight. Shared a cab with some strangers who were dropped off at T1. The meter at that point after the cabbie had insisted on taking the freeway from the Venetian to T1 showed $32. The cabbie then drove and dropped me off at T3 for Virgin, and the meter showed something like $38. Felt like the cabbie ripped us off by insisting on taking the freeway.
Indeed. From the Venetian, the cabbie turns right on the Strip, then right on Sands, follows it to Paradise, turns right, and continues straight to the airport. If they're honest.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by GentleScotsman953
Does that happen often? I mean that cabbies try to rip you off?
It's been my experience 80% of the time, although I've generally found the cabbies to be pretty good going anywhere except from the airport to the Strip. In other words, I've never had them try to rip me off going from the Strip to the airport.

Don't let it get to you on your upcoming first trip to Las Vegas this winter. Assuming you are staying on the Strip, you can either tell them not to take the tunnel when you get in the car (at which point they will scoff at you as if you insulted their honesty, even though there is a good shot that they would have hit the freeway if you hadn't said anything) or, if you're feeling adventurous, not say anything and, if they take you on the freeway, either A) pay the cabbie the $13 it would have cost and tell them that they're lucky to get that or just tell them that you're not paying at all and they can take it up with the taxi authority.

And, having said all that, don't stress too much about it. Just go and have a great time!

Mike

P.S., It doesn't matter that Las Vegas is in the desert. It's cold in the winter, so dress for it!
Old Oct 23, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by mikeef
It's been my experience 80% of the time, although I've generally found the cabbies to be pretty good going anywhere except from the airport to the Strip. In other words, I've never had them try to rip me off going from the Strip to the airport.

Don't let it get to you on your upcoming first trip to Las Vegas this winter. Assuming you are staying on the Strip, you can either tell them not to take the tunnel when you get in the car (at which point they will scoff at you as if you insulted their honesty, even though there is a good shot that they would have hit the freeway if you hadn't said anything) or, if you're feeling adventurous, not say anything and, if they take you on the freeway, either A) pay the cabbie the $13 it would have cost and tell them that they're lucky to get that or just tell them that you're not paying at all and they can take it up with the taxi authority.

And, having said all that, don't stress too much about it. Just go and have a great time!

Mike

P.S., It doesn't matter that Las Vegas is in the desert. It's cold in the winter, so dress for it!
This is good advice.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thebat
This is good advice.
Agreed. Thanks Mike ^

Wish I would have read more on longhauling years ago. I'm still sour from a longhaul 18 months ago.
LV gets enough money from visitors, they don't need to be scammed the minute they walk out of the airport.

Vegas needs a flat rate from LAS-Strip. Simple as that. Until that's in place, the city is complicit in the scamming of visitors IMO.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting article from a former cab driver on why long-hauling is so prevalent. Doesn't excuse it, but helps explain it. I've seen it posted elsewhere on FT, but here it is again.

Mike
Old Oct 28, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Originally Posted by mikeef
Cabbie attempted to longhaul me a few days ago. Going from the Mandalay Bay the airport. 11am on a Friday. After getting in the cab, the cabbie started off by telling me "Roads crowded, everyone going home now. I use freeway." I told the cabbie to use surface streets. The cabbie started again with the crowded roads argument. I reiterated no tunnel, dropped a few street names the cabbie should use and the cabbie relented. Needless to say, the roads were not crowded and we quickly arrived at the airport.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DoubleJ
Cabbie attempted to longhaul me a few days ago. Going from the Mandalay Bay the airport. 11am on a Friday. After getting in the cab, the cabbie started off by telling me "Roads crowded, everyone going home now. I use freeway." I told the cabbie to use surface streets. The cabbie started again with the crowded roads argument. I reiterated no tunnel, dropped a few street names the cabbie should use and the cabbie relented. Needless to say, the roads were not crowded and we quickly arrived at the airport.
I hope your wallet was too crowded to give the guy much of a tip.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.