FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Scenic taxi scam/longhauling - experiences, how to stop" thread
Old Oct 23, 2013, 1:04 pm
mikeef
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by GentleScotsman953
Does that happen often? I mean that cabbies try to rip you off?
It's been my experience 80% of the time, although I've generally found the cabbies to be pretty good going anywhere except from the airport to the Strip. In other words, I've never had them try to rip me off going from the Strip to the airport.

Don't let it get to you on your upcoming first trip to Las Vegas this winter. Assuming you are staying on the Strip, you can either tell them not to take the tunnel when you get in the car (at which point they will scoff at you as if you insulted their honesty, even though there is a good shot that they would have hit the freeway if you hadn't said anything) or, if you're feeling adventurous, not say anything and, if they take you on the freeway, either A) pay the cabbie the $13 it would have cost and tell them that they're lucky to get that or just tell them that you're not paying at all and they can take it up with the taxi authority.

And, having said all that, don't stress too much about it. Just go and have a great time!

Mike

P.S., It doesn't matter that Las Vegas is in the desert. It's cold in the winter, so dress for it!