Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

Help! Very short connection time at ICN (merged with same post in Asiana forum)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2008, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO

I have a flight booked (through Expedia, quite possibly my first mistake) for next Saturday from ATL-ICN and ICN to BKK. Our ATL-ICN flight on Korean lands at 5:10PM, with the ICN-BKK leg on Asiana now leaving at 6:10PM (it was originally 6:30PM). Is this connection totally undoable? I am just trying to figure out what the best plan of action would be to ensure that we arrive in BKK as scheduled (or at least the same night--Asiana has another ICN-BKK flight 2 hours later, so wondering if I should go ahead and try and get us on there now).

Any advice/opionions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:48 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Assuming your KE flight is on time, then you can make 1 hr. connection.
You'll have to pass security, but it's normally painless.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Thank you

I guess my main concern is that since it appears our luggage won't be checked through, having to claim and recheck it will be our downfall. Any thoughts? (Besides taking only carry-ons, which is just not going happen, nice as it sounds!)
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by TravelgirlAtl
I have a flight booked (through Expedia, quite possibly my first mistake) for next Saturday from ATL-ICN and ICN to BKK. Our ATL-ICN flight on Korean lands at 5:10PM, with the ICN-BKK leg on Asiana now leaving at 6:10PM (it was originally 6:30PM). Is this connection totally undoable? I am just trying to figure out what the best plan of action would be to ensure that we arrive in BKK as scheduled (or at least the same night--Asiana has another ICN-BKK flight 2 hours later, so wondering if I should go ahead and try and get us on there now).

Any advice/opionions would be greatly appreciated.

Are you sure that the ICN-BKK flight two hours later is operated by Asiana, not Thai? I don't think small company Asiana can have mid-haul flights departing within two-hour frame. I'm guessing the latter is opearted by Thai. Unless you purchased an expensive ticket, they won't put you on codeshare. What you should have done is flying ATL-ICN-BKK on KE. Had you done that, KE would certainly make sure you get on your connecting flight.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:19 pm

Thank you

I guess my main concern is that since it appears our luggage won't be checked through, having to claim and recheck it will be our downfall. Any thoughts? (Besides taking only carry-ons, which is just not going happen, nice as it sounds!)

If they don't interline baggage, there is no way for you to make connection with checked baggage in one hour. BTW, PLEASE do not double post the same thread in different forums.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

I appreciate the advice, N227, and apologize for apparently breaking a rule of etiquette on here. I was unsure of where this post would really belong, and did not realize I would be causing such grave offense by posting on two different forums. But really, was "yelling" at me in caps truly necessary?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the insight--I just double checked and it does appear that the later flight is operated by Thai. I absolutely agree that a full KE itinerary would have been the best option. Unfortunately, when we bought the tickets a few weeks ago, going KE all the way was about twice the cost for whatever reason.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:06 am

Isn't your ticket a through-fare? Airlines will usually check-through luggage if the connection time is within limit, even when on separate tickets anyway.

Not sure of the minimum connection time at ICN normally, but as above you're almost definitely not going to make the connection unless your transfer is entirely airside.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:16 am

Programs: DL PM, 2 Million Miller
You have an illegal international connection. You might make the connecting flight but any checked bags won't. Are your flights on 2 separate records? What class of service are you flying?

ICN is a very efficient airport. When you deplane from the transpacific flight you will need to clear security at ICN and go upstairs to the the departure level. If you are in coach, you will be the last group to deplane since the passengers in F and C will be allowed to exit the aircraft before the Y customers. The line at security moves quickly but if there is a long line.......

The departure to BKK will begin boarding 40 min before the departure time. You'd be well advised to re book your flights and make sure you have a proper connection time. BTW, why are you cross posting in separate forums?
Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:44 am

KE throughchecks bags within KE, even on separate itineraries. I'm not sure if they'll throughcheck to Asiana, though I think I saw one of the counter people throughcheck onto Lufthansa.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 1:30 am

INC is busy in the early morning and in the evening. That could be VERY tight. During the day you might make it but not a t this time. Expedia should be responsible for making corrections to illegal connections. You know I don't even know why outfits like Expedia even offer them they should know better and should be held liable for this nonsence. Lots of Newbees get caught with connections like this.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 2:34 am

I'm sure they have interline agreements with OZ as well, but if the connection time is too tight on a separate ticket then they could refuse to through-check at the origin.That's the issue.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 3:01 am

I appreciate the advice, N227, and apologize for apparently breaking a rule of etiquette on here. I was unsure of where this post would really belong, and did not realize I would be causing such grave offense by posting on two different forums. But really, was "yelling" at me in caps truly necessary?

Sorry, but I wasn't really yelling. Just emphasizing.

Originally Posted by stargold
Isn't your ticket a through-fare? Airlines will usually check-through luggage if the connection time is within limit, even when on separate tickets anyway.

Not sure of the minimum connection time at ICN normally, but as above you're almost definitely not going to make the connection unless your transfer is entirely airside.

Through-fare has nothing to do with baggage interline agreement. For instance, try getting a CX ticket with through-fare between OZ and CX, and see if OZ will do baggage interline to CX.

MCT at ICN for international connections is 60 minutes IIRC.

Originally Posted by stargold
I'm sure they have interline agreements with OZ as well, but if the connection time is too tight on a separate ticket then they could refuse to through-check at the origin.That's the issue.

I'm not positive if OZ has baggage interline agreement with KE given that they are competing fiercely. Anyhow, as long as they have the agreement and MCT is obeyed, KE would accept bag. The OP stated that she bought her ticket on Expedia, and Expedia wouldn't issue a ticket that doesn't meet MCT requirement.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by bescobar
You have an illegal international connection. You might make the connecting flight but any checked bags won't. Are your flights on 2 separate records? What class of service are you flying?

ICN is a very efficient airport. When you deplane from the transpacific flight you will need to clear security at ICN and go upstairs to the the departure level. If you are in coach, you will be the last group to deplane since the passengers in F and C will be allowed to exit the aircraft before the Y customers. The line at security moves quickly but if there is a long line.......

The departure to BKK will begin boarding 40 min before the departure time. You'd be well advised to re book your flights and make sure you have a proper connection time. BTW, why are you cross posting in separate forums?

Do you know what the MCT at ICN is exactly?

Originally Posted by moeve
INC is busy in the early morning and in the evening. That could be VERY tight. During the day you might make it but not a t this time. Expedia should be responsible for making corrections to illegal connections. You know I don't even know why outfits like Expedia even offer them they should know better and should be held liable for this nonsence. Lots of Newbees get caught with connections like this.

Suggestions to the OP, contact KE, OZ or Expedia to find out what the exact minimum connecting time at ICN between international flights is. If it's more than 60 minutes, ask Expedia to change your ticket since the connection has become illegal due to schedule change. If it's 60 minutes, ask KE if they have interline baggage agreement with OZ. If not, you really can't check any bag. If they do, checking bag should be okay since your itinerary obeys MCT.

If you're connecting flights that are operated by the same company or the same alliance, like Skyteam, transferring at ICN would have been a lot easier. Since KE and OZ hate each other, I don't know which company will be taking care of you at ICN. Typical practice is that your outbound flight operator, which is OZ, should take of you at ICN. However since KE and OZ do not cooperate, I don't think OZ would pick you up upon your KE arrival.

If I were you, I would seek OZ ground staff as soon as I deplane. Let them know that you're on the flight to BKK, and they should take care of you then. Although boarding begins like 45min before departure, don't mind that. Most Asian carriers would wait for pax until departure time, especially when they are informed pax is coming. I'm not sure if there is something KE can do for you here at ICN though. Good luck.

Last edited by N227UA; Apr 3, 2008 at 3:41 am
Old Apr 3, 2008, 3:31 am

The point is, if it is in the same ticket, it wouldn't have been ticketed (unless manually overridden) if the MCT was not obeyed. On the other hand, it is possible to buy two separate tickets that have any amount of time, including under the MCT, for the connection.

My point regarding the through-fare was therefore to do with the difference of everything on one ticket, not to do with the fare paid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.