Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has Korean Gutted Awards?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2024, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by dkerr
I just got a reschedule notice from Korean. My flight in September from SIN is now scheduled to arrive 10 mins later, making the connection to the flight to BOS only 45 minutes. This feels awfully tight and I'm not sure it even complies with minimum connection times in ICN.
According to KE site, 45 minutes is a minimum to connect at ICN for the same terminal (T2). I actually did that couple times (usually from US to ICN and to SE Asia). Yes, It's tight but still possible as ICN is very efficient. Usually, there should be KE staff waiting and you have to walk very fast to follow them. The issue could be your check-in luggages which might come with the later flight (happened to me once).

Last edited by karlkim; Jan 31, 2024 at 7:31 pm
Old Jan 31, 2024, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by dkerr
I just got a reschedule notice from Korean. My flight in September from SIN is now scheduled to arrive 10 mins later, making the connection to the flight to BOS only 45 minutes. This feels awfully tight and I'm not sure it even complies with minimum connection times in ICN. What are my chances of success if I ask KE to change the ICN-BOS to ICN-JFK? That would be a 75 minute connection. KE doesn't seem to be releasing any J awards on the JFK flights until much closer to flight date, but would they open up for this situation?

Any recommendations?

Thanks
DAK.
I wouldn't switch — the morning ICN-JFK in September is going to be the A380 which is a pretty big downgrade in J (2-2-2 Prestige Sleeper without direct aisle access) from the Apex Suites on the 77W to BOS. And echo the point below about ICN being extremely efficient for connections as well.

Alternatively it sounds like you're connecting from KE646 (1am SIN departure) to KE91 — is there any space on the previous day's KE644 (10pm SIN departure) to switch to instead?
Old Jan 31, 2024, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by truncated
I wouldn't switch — the morning ICN-JFK in September is going to be the A380 which is a pretty big downgrade in J (2-2-2 Prestige Sleeper without direct aisle access) from the Apex Suites on the 77W to BOS. And echo the point below about ICN being extremely efficient for connections as well.

Alternatively it sounds like you're connecting from KE646 (1am SIN departure) to KE91 — is there any space on the previous day's KE644 (10pm SIN departure) to switch to instead?
Correct, I am on the KE646. I would much rather be on the 10pm departure to allow for comfortable connection in ICN but it was not available. I did notice that the A380 is going back on the JFK route but it is much more convenient for us to fly into JFK than BOS. There are two of us so a 2-2-2 arrangement is not that bad, what matters most is lie-flat for sleeping. I was intending to contact Korean and request waitlisting on it anyway, irrespective of the schedule change. I'll post here how they respond to my request for a schedule change accommodation..

DAK
Old Feb 14, 2024, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Has anyone had any luck in finding KE J using partner miles Delta/AF/KLM/Virgin? I'm getting 0 availability especially from US (JFK, IAD, BOS, ATL, SFO, LAX) - ICN
Old Feb 19, 2024, 9:44 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
Has anyone had any luck in finding KE J using partner miles Delta/AF/KLM/Virgin? I'm getting 0 availability especially from US (JFK, IAD, BOS, ATL, SFO, LAX) - ICN
KE J on partners has been a UNICORN for years. They give literally MAYBE one seat is what everyone says, so you better be ready THE DAY the booking opens to snap it up. Don't hold your breath and definitely plan alternatives.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, National Exec, Hertz Pres
KE has released zero First Class awards lately. I am taking a KE ICN-LAX flight next week on a business class award (62,500 miles) and the first class seat map is completely empty. Back in 2017, I upgraded an LAX-ICN mileage award from business to first class at the check-in counter by paying the mileage difference. Will I still be able to pay the difference of 17,500 miles at the airport to move up to first class or will KE rather fly the first class cabin empty? Has anyone here asked about paying the mileage difference at the airport in 2023 or 2024 and were you successful?

Trying to decide if it's worth it to gamble/transfer more Marriott points to my Korean Air account for this possibility. Thanks!

Last edited by EricUSC; Mar 17, 2024 at 11:58 am
Old Mar 18, 2024, 10:35 pm

Personally i feel Ke F is not much of an upgrade over KE J prestige suites and not worth paying anything.

F is only a big upgrade over the old 2-3-2 business seats.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by EricUSC
KE has released zero First Class awards lately. I am taking a KE ICN-LAX flight next week on a business class award (62,500 miles) and the first class seat map is completely empty. Back in 2017, I upgraded an LAX-ICN mileage award from business to first class at the check-in counter by paying the mileage difference. Will I still be able to pay the difference of 17,500 miles at the airport to move up to first class or will KE rather fly the first class cabin empty? Has anyone here asked about paying the mileage difference at the airport in 2023 or 2024 and were you successful?

Trying to decide if it's worth it to gamble/transfer more Marriott points to my Korean Air account for this possibility. Thanks!
I've got the same question for my flight next week. From my searches so far, I haven't seen that that is still possible.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Personally i feel Ke F is not much of an upgrade over KE J prestige suites and not worth paying anything.

F is only a big upgrade over the old 2-3-2 business seats.
Yeah I think the only F seat worth getting is on the 747.

But KE has stopped (AFAIK) offering First for Award ticket booking. Cash/money only. OR if you hold status with them, they may upgrade or offer an upgrade.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 5:19 pm

KE usually flies A380 on ICN-LAX route, so upgrading from J (prestige sleeper) to F (kosmos suite) should still be worth it.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 1:33 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by karlkim
KE usually flies A380 on ICN-LAX route, so upgrading from J (prestige sleeper) to F (kosmos suite) should still be worth it.
Yes, I have flown both J and F on the A380. The J product is side-by-side lie flat which is fairly outdated by today's standards. Prestige Sleeper J is still as good as a modern J seat if I have a window with no seat mate (fingers crossed, picked seat in back on an empty flight). It is definitely worth the extra 17,500 miles if offered.

My question is on whether KE will allow me to pay the mileage difference to upgrade upon check-in considering the flight is less than a week out and F is 100% empty. I'd rather not be a guinea pig and transfer the extra 17,500 miles from Marriott but the limited data might mean I have to gamble and report back on the results.
karlkim likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 6:01 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Lifetime, TK E+
Originally Posted by EricUSC
Yes, I have flown both J and F on the A380. The J product is side-by-side lie flat which is fairly outdated by today's standards. Prestige Sleeper J is still as good as a modern J seat if I have a window with no seat mate (fingers crossed, picked seat in back on an empty flight). It is definitely worth the extra 17,500 miles if offered.

My question is on whether KE will allow me to pay the mileage difference to upgrade upon check-in considering the flight is less than a week out and F is 100% empty. I'd rather not be a guinea pig and transfer the extra 17,500 miles from Marriott but the limited data might mean I have to gamble and report back on the results.
yes, agree that we don’t have enough actual data about possibility to upgrade at check in. Also, seat assignments with aircraft’s that don’t sell first class but has these seats and I can see someone has assigned in it. How do people get those seats? For example out of BOS is 777-300 with first class seats but KE is selling it as business class so if I book business award how can I get those assigned in advance?
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by SQ025
yes, agree that we don’t have enough actual data about possibility to upgrade at check in. Also, seat assignments with aircraft’s that don’t sell first class but has these seats and I can see someone has assigned in it. How do people get those seats? For example out of BOS is 777-300 with first class seats but KE is selling it as business class so if I book business award how can I get those assigned in advance?
KE told me at checkin that award flights cannot select those F seats.
SQ025 and karlkim like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:19 am

@EricUSC

If you check my post on 10th Dec above, you’ll probably get the answer to your question.

Also regarding J to F upgrade worthiness in general, the small mileage difference (only 17.5K) make it absolutely worth it, whatever the hardware, IMO. Most airlines charge much much more for an upgrade to F.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by benji2227
@EricUSC

If you check my post on 10th Dec above, you’ll probably get the answer to your question.

Also regarding J to F upgrade worthiness in general, the small mileage difference (only 17.5K) make it absolutely worth it, whatever the hardware, IMO. Most airlines charge much much more for an upgrade to F.
I did read your post of this not working and read other posts before yours that it did work in the past. I now have another data point to report. My ICN-LAX flight in late March 2024 was 100% empty in F, and even then, they would not accept my 17,500 mile difference and said my only option to get F is to buy a cash ticket. I asked if there is anybody in F, and was told nobody was in F. This was confirmed during boarding when no F boarding group was called and the F boarding door remained closed.
hurnik likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.