Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has Korean Gutted Awards?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Has Korean Gutted Awards?

Korean used to have fantastic award availability for award tickets in premium cabin.

I a few hundred thousand miles saved up, but every route I search has either 0 award seats or just economy.

What’s going on?
Old Jun 11, 2022, 1:58 pm

It's been addressed in other threads, but yes, they are releasing less inventory than they have in the past--seems like only 2 J seats per flight. I just booked some flights in April 2023, and even that far out, the availability of 2 J seats on the same flight was spotty.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 7:31 am

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
They have changed to releasing everything at schedule loading, and nothing afterwards. You need to book 355 days out to get a J award.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 5:08 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
sorry I didn't see in the other threads, so they won't release more J award inventory closer to actual flight date?

meaning only way of getting J if not a year out is hoping someone will cancel?

thanks
Old Jun 18, 2022, 10:00 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by chichow
sorry I didn't see in the other threads, so they won't release more J award inventory closer to actual flight date?

meaning only way of getting J if not a year out is hoping someone will cancel?

thanks
Correct. Grab it the day it's available or you'll never get it unless someone cancels.
chichow likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:42 pm

Good news.
KE has started releasing « last minute » rewards again on some flights (not all).
A quick check with US flights such as JFK or ATL and you can see premium cabin rewards unlock for dates from tomorrow to a few weeks ahead. This includes Y, J and F (for JFK) rewards.

This is exactly as it used to be. Fixed number of rewards unlocking upon release and then rewards being released later on depending on demand.
mikesaidyes likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Is KE systematically blocking all Saudia First awards now? Even when Expert Flyer shows 5 seats in "A", no matter what, koreanair.com doesn't show any availability in Saudia F award inventory.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
Is KE systematically blocking all Saudia First awards now? Even when Expert Flyer shows 5 seats in "A", no matter what, koreanair.com doesn't show any availability in Saudia F award inventory.
Korean and all airlines are always this way. It's not about what Expert Flyer shows, but what Saudi and Korean agree to give each other. So, if it's not on the Korean Air website - call them and ask, but if they don't have it, that's that. No magic trick to get it otherwise from Korean.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Korean and all airlines are always this way. It's not about what Expert Flyer shows, but what Saudi and Korean agree to give each other. So, if it's not on the Korean Air website - call them and ask, but if they don't have it, that's that. No magic trick to get it otherwise from Korean.
Have you ever flown SV F? It is often empty as there aren't many sources that would allow award F bookings. If SV gives award inventory to KE but KE strategically chooses not to make it available, it isn't a matter of SV not allocating the award inventory.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
Have you ever flown SV F? It is often empty as there aren't many sources that would allow award F bookings. If SV gives award inventory to KE but KE strategically chooses not to make it available, it isn't a matter of SV not allocating the award inventory.
But if it's not there, it's not there, so it doesn't really matter whose fault that is.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But if it's not there, it's not there, so it doesn't really matter whose fault that is.
You are assuming it isn't there. If KE is blocking it, of course it won't be there.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 5:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by KE81
It's been addressed in other threads, but yes, they are releasing less inventory than they have in the past--seems like only 2 J seats per flight. I just booked some flights in April 2023, and even that far out, the availability of 2 J seats on the same flight was spotty.
So I guess you got it under the current system, not the proposed new system?

I haven't had a chance to go overseas for a couple years, and just now checked on my KE account and noticed this:

Award Ticket Redemption Table (for tickets issued on or after April 1, 2023)

Seems like they are going back to the Zone idea, which will increase the amount required by 50% or more for many of my potential flights.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 7:21 pm

Oddly, I noticed for May 2023 - just was checking randomly - ICN ATL has FIRST CLASS space at 80k one way. Like TONS OF IT EVERYDAY. but no biz seats.
hurnik likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:05 pm

Oddly, I noticed for May 2023 - just was checking randomly - ICN ATL has FIRST CLASS space at 80k one way. Like TONS OF IT EVERYDAY. but no biz seats.
Likely due to the fact that KE has just announced resuming some F flights to Europe ans US from this October-November.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 12:32 am

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Just the ATL route it seems... too bad they also only flag that as a 777-300ER for now. Hopefully they get enough confidence to start scheduling the planes they actually want to fly (and put the 747-8i on) in the future!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.