Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has Korean Gutted Awards?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2022, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
It should be possible, although there are some flights which are "closed to standby" which I guess is another way of saying sold out.
I am looking out way at end of schedule. If I look at JFK to ICN then it shows economy as available and business as sold out, with the option to search for standby. If I look at ICN to SIN segments then both economy and business show available on 2 of 3 daily flights, with a option to search for standby. But, if I look at JFK-SIN then it shows only economy available and "not operated" for business class and no option for standby.

I have tried to search with multi-segment, and that only works when searching for economy. If I select business then it comes back with an error message.

Can standby be requested over the phone? If so, what is the best strategy... book as economy and then call and ask for standby? I am very flexible on dates... would take any date(s) that allow for ~2 week stay in Singapore. But I won't fly in economy.

Thanks for any advice.
DAK
Old Oct 23, 2022, 7:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by dkerr
I am looking out way at end of schedule. If I look at JFK to ICN then it shows economy as available and business as sold out, with the option to search for standby. If I look at ICN to SIN segments then both economy and business show available on 2 of 3 daily flights, with a option to search for standby. But, if I look at JFK-SIN then it shows only economy available and "not operated" for business class and no option for standby.

I have tried to search with multi-segment, and that only works when searching for economy. If I select business then it comes back with an error message.

Can standby be requested over the phone? If so, what is the best strategy... book as economy and then call and ask for standby? I am very flexible on dates... would take any date(s) that allow for ~2 week stay in Singapore. But I won't fly in economy.

Thanks for any advice.
DAK
Calling is probably your best bet. I find they pick up quickly and are quite competent.
Yes, you can request standby over the phone.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by benji2227
Would be nice if F also got released but happy to finally start burning that massive pile of miles anyway.
So interestingly no F seats got released despite there being 6 seats available until day of boarding. Quite a shame.

However, at the check-in desk in ICN I asked and they agreed to upgrade from J to F for 17,500 extra miles + 30,000 won.

Only 3 passengers in First.
JapanFlyerT likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 9:44 am

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Which route was this for? ICN => JFK/LAX on what aircraft?
Old Oct 26, 2022, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
Which route was this for? ICN => JFK/LAX on what aircraft?
ICN -> Paris CDG route on a 773.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 8:00 pm

So interestingly no F seats got released despite there being 6 seats available until day of boarding. Quite a shame.

However, at the check-in desk in ICN I asked and they agreed to upgrade from J to F for 17,500 extra miles + 30,000 won.

Only 3 passengers in First.
That is great to know. A good chance for me to burn extra miles perhaps!
I figure with the amount I am paying in fuel charges I might as well go big.
I just checked and my flight in January still has First wide open. Seats sell for $12,000!

I guess I should get to the airport early!
Old Oct 27, 2022, 9:20 am

That is great to know. A good chance for me to burn extra miles perhaps!
I figure with the amount I am paying in fuel charges I might as well go big.
I just checked and my flight in January still has First wide open. Seats sell for $12,000!

I guess I should get to the airport early!
Seems like they have that flexibility at ICN airport. However not all airports have the right to « sell tickets », recently at CDG airport I tried to upgrade to First from J, despite seats being still available they had no power to issue a ticket, said it had to be via the website.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 4:59 pm

Seems like they have that flexibility at ICN airport. However not all airports have the right to « sell tickets », recently at CDG airport I tried to upgrade to First from J, despite seats being still available they had no power to issue a ticket, said it had to be via the website.
I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up then.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 5:29 pm

FYI
You have to look up Korean national holidays.

Eg.
September 29 2023 is chuseok, 3day holiday, in Korea. Naturally, ke won't release any, mabe a few, award seats.

Holidays to note areChinese new year (feb)
Mid Autumn Festival (sep)
Old Oct 31, 2022, 2:59 pm

Calling is probably your best bet. I find they pick up quickly and are quite competent.
Yes, you can request standby over the phone.
So, I made standby reservation for JFK-ICN online, then I telephoned KE and asked to add the ICN-SIN segments. The agent at first did not think this possible, that he would need to do a whole new booking, but he checked with supervisor and yes they could add the ICN-SIN segments. However, despite the ICN-SIN being available for 2x passengers in Prestige class they cannot confirm those without the JFK-ICN segments also being confirmed. So I now have waitlist reservations for JFK-ICN-SIN and back.

I'm kind of nervous because the ICN-SIN-ICN flights are still showing available for 2x passengers, so someone else could swoop in and grab those making it harder for me. And if the waitlists don't clear before the devaluation in April then I'm in trouble as I don't think I have enough miles under the new program. Deep breath and keep hoping.

Regards,
DAK.
JapanFlyerT likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 6:58 pm

I checked my flight (5 weeks out) and saw first class still wide open.
Also, on the award booking site, the first class waiting list box was now allowing it to be checked (it wasn't when I booked in October).
I called KE and got on the waiting list for an upgrade, then 3 days later it was approved.
At first the agent (contracted person, I think) wanted 80,000 for an upgrade, but after checking came back and said 17,500.

Seeing as this is the last chance to get in a premium flight before the April devaluation, I figured burning the miles on a 16hr flight made sense.
One thing I noted: checking the entire itinerary will not work for first, since there is no first class service for the second leg.
hurnik likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 10:11 am

One thing I noted: checking the entire itinerary will not work for first, since there is no first class service for the second leg.
Yes, this has been a problem forever. In the past I could secure USA-ICN in F then connecting flight in J by using the "chat with us" link at the bottom of the website and requesting the agent book it for me. They would turn into quite lengthy chat sessions, but it got done and they would put the reservation onto a 5 day hold and direct you to the web site to complete the purchase.

DAK
JapanFlyerT likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 2:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
So, in looking at the Korean Air award calendar, a fair amount of J awards (close in and at end of schedule) are available. No F I can see anywhere. Do you need to waitlist for F? Call in?

I’m curious if anyone has had success with an F award lately?
Old Feb 25, 2023, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by jimmygottfredson
So, in looking at the Korean Air award calendar, a fair amount of J awards (close in and at end of schedule) are available. No F I can see anywhere. Do you need to waitlist for F? Call in?

I’m curious if anyone has had success with an F award lately?
As I wrote in other threads, KE seems to hand pick people on the F wait list instead of opening up awards in the general pool.

F also seems to open up a few days before flights, or you can get your F ticket at ICN check-in if seats are available.
jimmygottfredson likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 11:34 am

Another way is to periodically check availability in the KE mobile app. There has been spotty F seat comes and goes for some ex-USA routes, assume it is due to cancelled tickets from someone. Not ideal but KE app is relatively easier and faster to search.
jimmygottfredson likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.