Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

Does KE really check credit card at check in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2013, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Beed
I booked flights with Korean Air through Expedia. I used my mum's credit card and I'm a little worried that they will ask to see it at check in.
Do you think they will? Or will I be OK because I booked the ticket through Expedia?
If you booked thru a third party, you'll be ok.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: US Airways, Silver United, Gold Hilton, Platinum Marriott, Gold SPG
Booked some tickets direct, my father in law helped to buy with his cc, do I have to bring his card with me? Or what should I do?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred

Did you go directly through korean air, if yes then you need to show the card. If you purchased through a travel agency, like Travelocity, Expedia etc,. Then no. Korean air usually has you sign statement that the card was used at the check in desk.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: WN,DL,AA,UA,B6,more!
i flew a Korean Air award ticket issued by Korean Air in November 2013. I had to show my credit card at check in at JFK.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
I bought a KE ticket directly on KE's website in Feb 2014. Did NOT have to show my CC at ICN. I guess my experience was the exception not the rule?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: 1865 Voyager, GHA Black, *G, KFEG, OWR, MPCS.
I think they are just have confident in you so the checking process "internally" exempted. As per my experience Thai Airways, Cathay Pacific, Emirate does require cc checking during check in.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 4:15 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
The credit card rule is only for flights purchased directly on koreanair.com. That being said, they haven't asked for the credit card the last few trips I've taken (with tickets purchased directly).
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:58 am

another data point: booked a ticket directly on koreanair website. one-way hkg-lax in biz. was asked for cc during check-in (was notified when I purchased the ticket this would be required).
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:15 pm

Programs: United MP, SQ Krisflyer, SPG, HHonors, SkyPesos
I just checked in for KE 12 at LAX. They asked for my card at check-in. The ticket was purchased online directly from KAL. The original card I used to purchase the ticket was part of the Target breach and was replaced with a new card by my issuer. There was some confusion at check-in since I no longer have that card, but I filled out some form and it was eventually sorted out.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:44 am

Now that it is mandatory for the ticket to have the flyer's full name, including middle names, exactly as in the passport, is there any issue with the credit card having only lastname and initials or firstname and lastname but no middle name?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred

Not at all
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by lazyzee
Now that it is mandatory for the ticket to have the flyer's full name, including middle names, exactly as in the passport, is there any issue with the credit card having only lastname and initials or firstname and lastname but no middle name?
The billing section in the ticket has to match the info in the credit card. This is for KE's own cc fraud prevention. This is what's being discussed in this thread.

The passenger info portion in the ticket has to match what's it's in the passport. This is for airport security and immigration and is generally required even on other airlines.

HTH
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:58 am

Got it - thanks !
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:02 am
formerly ltabi

Programs: AA PLT, Hyatt Explorist
flew KE on both 4/3 and 4/5 with miles (taxes paid by cc) and the check in staff never asked to see my cc...
Old Apr 29, 2014, 2:44 am

I'm glad there are some recent reports that KE does not check credit card at check in. My recent experiences still requires physical cc, though, whenever I
1. purchased directly through koreanair.com website and
2. used non-Korean cc.

However, if I explain situations well, they tend to understand some of the situations. Also, if I don't have it with me, I was told that KE will just cancel the transaction and re-pay the same price with any other credit card I have at the check in. So KE won't deny boarding in the end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.