Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

Does KE really check credit card at check in?

Old Aug 22, 12, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, DL diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz Plat, Avis President

Does KE actually check for the CC used at purchase at check in (will be JFK in this instance)? This is a skybonus ticket and they advised me over the phone that they would check, but I find it unusual.

If you do online check in can they still check the CC?
Old Aug 22, 12, 10:22 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, AS MVP, Starwood Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

As a former KE LAX employee, I can assure you that they will check. There is a system stop if the cc flag is enabled. We can't release the bp without checking the cc. Even with olci, system will not print a bp.
Old Aug 22, 12, 10:30 am
Used to be highman123

Originally Posted by xxdboixx View Post
As a former KE LAX employee, I can assure you that they will check. There is a system stop if the cc flag is enabled. We can't release the bp without checking the cc. Even with olci, system will not print a bp.

I lost my Sapphire CC which I used for most flight bookings. How will I get a bp?
Old Aug 22, 12, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by highman123 View Post
I lost my Sapphire CC which I used for most flight bookings. How will I get a bp?
IIRC, they only check if you bought the ticket directly from KE and not using a TA.

If so, try calling their reservation office beforehand or give yourself extra time on check-in as they might send you to the ticketing office to get it sorted.
Old Aug 22, 12, 2:08 pm

Programs: New to United
Originally Posted by yannix View Post
IIRC, they only check if you bought the ticket directly from KE and not using a TA.

If so, try calling their reservation office beforehand or give yourself extra time on check-in as they might send you to the ticketing office to get it sorted.
Good to know..so if I bought my KE ticket by calling Delta and using my delta miles for an award ticket and using my CC for the taxes, I do not need to show that card? I actually no longer have that card..
Old Aug 22, 12, 6:42 pm

Programs: Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum
My wife booked her award ticket with KE using her miles and she did have to show her credit card with the gate agent. I booked with my skymiles and did not have to show my credit card. That was back in March 12.
Old Aug 23, 12, 2:56 am

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy View Post
Good to know..so if I bought my KE ticket by calling Delta and using my delta miles for an award ticket and using my CC for the taxes, I do not need to show that card? I actually no longer have that card..
I flew KE on a SkyMiles Business award to Vietnam earlier this year. I flew KE2 from LAX-NRT, and back from SGN-ICN and ICN-JFK. When I checked in at the KE desk each time, they happily issued my boarding passes without asking to see my credit card. Looks like YMMV, but I'd try and get it sorted before arrival, or give yourself some extra time.
Old Aug 23, 12, 9:51 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
I had this problem with Vietnam Airlines. Just contact their NYC ticket office (or whichever one is most local to you) and they will help you get around it so you can be 1,000% safe by the time you travel. I ended up having an old copy of my card scanned from years ago, but they also said just scanning my first passport page would be fine.....
Old Aug 24, 12, 3:26 pm

It seems KE only checks for the credit card if using KE miles to book the ticket.
I have never been asked for the card when I used DL miles to book on KE.
Also, I had a friend argue with KE agent about the credit card issue one time at the airport, and the supervisor just waived the verification.
And CX is another Asian airline that checks the credit card as well.
Old Aug 26, 12, 7:43 am

Programs: LH Sen, Skyteam Elite, 9W Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by chewy3 View Post
Does KE actually check for the CC used at purchase at check in (will be JFK in this instance)? This is a skybonus ticket and they advised me over the phone that they would check, but I find it unusual.

If you do online check in can they still check the CC?
Yes, KE and many other airlines check the credit card. If you can not produce it you'll have to buy a new ticket. Not sure why their information system cannot see that the payment has been made. If you bought your tickets several months before the flight - the accounts should be updated; actually the question is why they cannot update their internal procedures.
Old Aug 26, 12, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by Madame R View Post
Yes, KE and many other airlines check the credit card. If you can not produce it you'll have to buy a new ticket. Not sure why their information system cannot see that the payment has been made. If you bought your tickets several months before the flight - the accounts should be updated; actually the question is why they cannot update their internal procedures.
Many other airlines might be a stretch The only one I interacted with was United but they've stopped since they became the new Continental. I know Singapore does, and Korean does, but they're definitely not the norm, as this is nothing more than a pain in the ...
Old Aug 26, 12, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Madame R View Post
It's generally an anti-fraud measure, not that they can't see that the payment has been made.
Old Aug 28, 12, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by arcticbull View Post
Many other airlines might be a stretch The only one I interacted with was United but they've stopped since they became the new Continental. I know Singapore does, and Korean does, but they're definitely not the norm, as this is nothing more than a pain in the ...
The only other airline I know that does this too is CX if you bought the tickets directly from them.
Old Aug 30, 12, 9:40 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, AS MVP, Starwood Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
If you use your DL miles, KE does not ask for the CC. If you use KE miles or book directly with KE on their website, KE will require that you have the CC. It's disclosed on the site, and over the phone when you book your ticket.

If for whatever reason you don't have the credit card, you lost it, someone else's credit card, at the station's discretion, they will refund the amount to the original credit card # and ask you for an alternate card in your name. They'll charge the amount of the ticket on the new card and ask you to sign a credit card fraud disclosure.

If you really really really argue and fight with the station manager, I have seen the managers allow the agents to take the new CC number down, and have you sign a disclosure stating that you and the new card will cover the ticket cost if anything goes wrong with the original card. But note, that this is rare.

There has been so many fraud cases with fradulent cc's being used, esp in Asia, that they've implemented this policy.
Old Aug 30, 12, 10:23 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
Yes, Vietnam Airlines requires the CC also.

Search this Thread