Wiki Posts
Search

Korea train

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2009, 11:37 am
bjf
Original Poster

Korea train

Has anyone had experience with the KTX Bullet train in Korea. I'm thinking about going from Seoul to Busan. I will be in Koea the middle of May for a week plus.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 4:41 pm

Sure it's great. Fast, simple, convenient. Ride takes about 3 1/2 hours. Go here for more info.

www.korail.com For some reason the site seems to work best with Internet Explorer. Good Luck
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:47 am

While I have no experience with the product, I can research for you if you have any particular question. This posting seems to be out of place, maybe mod can move it to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia-460/ ?
I do not believe ktx serves ICN airport yet, so you'll need an alternate ground transportation to a train station in Seoul if you are flying in.
If you are curious about general experience, have you tried google search?
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:55 am

Programs: *G
Expect the most uncomfortable train seat in the world. I'm being a little cynical here but seats are just not comfortable at all. I would take Air Busan from GMP to PUS. But if you insist on taking KTX, make sure you take seats facing forward (direction in which train is heading) not backward !!!

The reason why korean webs are working best with IE is those webs needs ActiveX which koreans do seem to love which I do not understand myself as a Korean living abroad.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 3:23 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
What does this have to do with credit cards?
Old Apr 17, 2009, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Gold
The trains are comparable to most other high-speed trains (shinkansen, ICE, eurostar, etc). The ride from seoul station to busan takes a little under three hours. One thing, the seat pitch is very tight in the standard class (much tighter seat pitch than shinkansen, for example). So, even if you're of average height, it's worth the extra W20,000 for 1st class.
Old May 2, 2009, 1:26 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
ModSpeak On

This seems like it would get better responses in Asia than OCC.

ModSpeak Off
Old May 2, 2009, 11:18 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Yes, like all TGV based trains the KTX has rather limited space in standard class. Look out for web specials as those can get particular good prices for 1st class tickets.
Old May 3, 2009, 6:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Avis
I took it last summer in first class and it work just fine. A lot better than my military days when I took the over night sloooow train.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
A bump for anyone who's traveled on the KTX in First Class recently. Do the seats have power outlets? WiFi in the compartment?
Old Sep 1, 2009, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
A bump for anyone who's traveled on the KTX in First Class recently. Do the seats have power outlets? WiFi in the compartment?
In April 2009, they had wi-fi, but for a nominal fee. It might be difficult to access without working knowledge of the payment system, i.e. Korean language and/or Korean credit card. If I recall, it was less than 3000 won for access.

I'm not sure about first class, but there are definetely no power outlets in the regular class. Seoul to Busan should be at or just less than 3 hours - hopefully you'll have enough juice. Also if you plan on doing the Seoul to Busan trip, it may be well worth it to buy a 3 day saver pass, even if you are only making one round trip.

BTW if you end up in a standard seat and feel extremely cramped, you can always try moving to the "jump" seat - they are located in-between trains.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 10:19 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
The prices are not bad as there is still fierce competition from Asiana and Korean Air. Best is to book 1st over the web as most Koreans do (book over the web, not travel 1st)

As a note of caution, Busan bound trains run from Seoul station while Gwangju and Mokpo can be reached from Yongsan. Do not mix up the two major stations, although closely located.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:14 pm

Programs: DL,EK
I took this last week. Very nice and on time. Wifi Is available for a fee (1000w/hr ??) I didn't use it tho. No problems with the seat pitch either... tho not as nice as the Japanese Shinkansen.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by mosburger
Yes, like all TGV based trains the KTX has rather limited space in standard class. Look out for web specials as those can get particular good prices for 1st class tickets.

Actually, KTX has even more limited space than other TGV-based trains. Since KTX and Eurostar are the only TGV-based trains that are configured 20-car as one trainset, have KTX compared to Eurostar. Although they are both roughly 400m long and have 18 passenger cars per trainset, KTX has about 950 seats per trainset while Eurostar has 750 seats per trainset.

Originally Posted by slippahs

Power outlets = no AFAIK
Wi-Fi = yes
A total of six hot-spots available per trainset, so each hot-spot covers three passenger cars.

Originally Posted by dc-flyer
In April 2009, they had wi-fi, but for a nominal fee. It might be difficult to access without working knowledge of the payment system, i.e. Korean language and/or Korean credit card. If I recall, it was less than 3000 won for access.

I'm not sure about first class, but there are definetely no power outlets in the regular class. Seoul to Busan should be at or just less than 3 hours - hopefully you'll have enough juice. Also if you plan on doing the Seoul to Busan trip, it may be well worth it to buy a 3 day saver pass, even if you are only making one round trip.

BTW if you end up in a standard seat and feel extremely cramped, you can always try moving to the "jump" seat - they are located in-between trains.

I used this service once in April 2008 when they were offering it for free during promotional period. Not so fast, probably comparable to EDGE or 3G connection at most. AFAIK, they sell cards with username and password at vending machines. IIRC, the rate is KRW1000 for either a half hour or an hour and KRW2000 for 24 hours. There are few public computers available for this paid Wi-Fi connection.

Last edited by N227UA; Sep 2, 2009 at 12:52 am
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Thanks for all the replies. We ended up booking a last minute flight on KE instead and canceling our KTX tickets for $.66, since our hotel was on the GMP subway line in Seoul and we didn't want to deal with a 3 hour train ride (and of course, KE flights earn us EQMs!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.