Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

going to Thailand, is Seoul worth a stop?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2009, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Going on KAL and want to know if it's worth a few days in Seoul or should we simply spend that time in Thailand?

Your thoughts appreciated.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:06 am

Seoul doesnt really have any amazing sights for a tourist, some nice places to walk around, yes, but nothing world-class. Some people hate it, some people love it. The food can take a bit getting used to, and if you are eating at local restaurants, you will have a hard time finding an english menu. Prices will be much higher than in Thailand (esp for your hotels). It really depends on the cost of the stopover for me, if its free, on a neglible amount, I would go (if you have never been), but if its going to cost you quite a bit more, I wouldn't bother.

Also, Incheon airport is over an hour away from the city, so think of that if you are planning on stopping for less than 24 hours.

I do love this city though.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:38 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I like Seoul and think it is a great city for a couple of days stopover. The exchange rate against the US dollar makes it even more tolerable as far as hotel and restaurant costs etc. Yes, most local restaurants do not have english menus but just point at what you want as most have picture menus. If you have never been and have time for a couple of day stopover I say it is worth it, I think the weekends are much cheaper on the hotels.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 11:30 am
In Memoriam: Original Member

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
There is no easy way to get from the airport to downtown and allow at least 1-1/2 hours + depending on the traffic. I like Seoul and there are things to see and good food to enjoy.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Sorry I disagree...

... I dont think Seoul is worth the stop...it is a massive city that takes you forever to get from place to place...the sightseeing options are limited (the tower in the park? Itaewon?) Thailand on the other hand deserves to be tourist destination that is. Unless you are planning to go back to thailand again and again I would use all of my time there. I do agree about the food in Seoul it is good.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Seoul does have some nice royal palaces and there is the DMZ tour (which I never did and really should have done). Avoid Itaewon like the plague, it's horrific - it's a junk market for US service people and sums up all that is bad about Seoul. There's an ok antiques/crafts/tourist area (Chonga something?) which verges between really tacky and really some quite nice stuff with some interesting wee restaurants.

I quite like Seoul - if you haven't been and might not have the change to go again, then I'd probably do the stop off.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 2:40 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Please continue this discussion in the Asia forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz moderator
Old Mar 10, 2009, 4:17 pm

For those who haven't travelled much but like it, the answer would usually be yes to any city within reason. So if you spend only 24 hours in Seoul, it will always be fun.

I arrived at the airport at about 7 a.m. and had a 6 p.m. flight. When I arrived, I looked around the airport and washed up since most places are not open that early. Tip: the exchange rate is better at the upper/departures floor than the lower/arrival floor, even among the same bank!

I visited the Korean War Museum and the COEX Mall. I was going to visit a 3rd place but ran out of time. See how long it takes to get into town. I think it is 1.5 hours.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 5:16 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by Jenbel
There's an ok antiques/crafts/tourist area (Chonga something?)
It would be InSaDong. I quite like there, but I speak fluent Korean.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
If you have limited time, I would just spend the whole time in Thailand. But if you have a couple of days to spare, Seoul is worth a visit. I would definitely do the Panmunjom and/or DMZ tour and one of the palaces.

As for ordering food, true, very few small restaurants have English menu or English speakers but somehow I managed to order what I wanted to eat by pointing at what people on the other tables were having.

The trek from ICN to the city is pretty straight forward so I wouldn't count it against visiting Seoul.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 7:41 pm

Programs: CX Silver, QFF Bronze, Mabuhay Miles
Depends when you are going also. Right now Seoul is very cold and that would not be very attractive (for me at least) - especially since you are on your way to Thailand. But, I really liked Seoul - great food, people and sites. You can get shuttle buses to the city from the airport. The DMZ tour is very interesting. If you are a warm-weather person and have spare time in Thailand, just go to another place there (or somewhere else close, such as Ankor Wat for a few days).
Old Mar 11, 2009, 5:56 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
The short answer is, yes, Seoul is worth a stop, all other things being equal. But the variables you haven't told us are: have you been to Thailand before, how long do you have in Thailand, and will stopping in Seoul be in lieu of time in Thailand or in addition to what you have already planned. I would consider those important factors.

As between stopping in Seoul on the way to Thailand or on the way back, Korean Air's schedule would push me to stopping on the way over. The short redeye BKK-ICN will ruin you for the day you arrive in Korea if you try to do the stop then. It's much better to just get on your onward connection, eat, and sleep. In contrast, arriving at Incheon from the US in the late afternoon would put you in town in the early evening, enough time to have dinner and settle down to bed-- a much easier adjustment to the time zone. And the evening flights BKK-ICN will give you a nice full day in Seoul before you head to the airport.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 7:10 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
The short answer is, yes, Seoul is worth a stop, all other things being equal. But the variables you haven't told us are: have you been to Thailand before, how long do you have in Thailand, and will stopping in Seoul be in lieu of time in Thailand or in addition to what you have already planned. I would consider those important factors.
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Thailand on the other hand deserves to be tourist destination that is. Unless you are planning to go back to thailand again and again I would use all of my time there.
fully agree to both statements^

Unless the your trip encompasses the wide variety of experiences that Thailand has to offer or you are going back to Thailand (or have been before), I would concentrate on all your trip in Thailand.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 9:22 am

Yes, Seoul is a wonderful place and worth a visit.

Korean food is delicious, and it`s fun especially to find little inexpensive places where some of the most delicious Korean specialties can be found.

The city is not beautiful in the sense that some other cities are, but it is a great place if you are open minded, and it does have its own unique beauty to it (Mountains in the city, classical Korean Architecture, small streets with trendy shops and cafes in some areas, etc..)

In order to decide if it is worth it for you, you should read a guidebook and decide if it is the right place for you.

I think it`s worth two or three days for anyone- especially when one has the opportunity to do it as a nice stopover. Don`t need to pay for extra airfare, and it breaks up a long trip.

Be aware, that the weather will obviously be very different from Thailand (especially in the winter. When Seoul is cold. Think Chicago)

Have a good trip!
Old Mar 13, 2009, 2:59 pm

Programs: *G (NZ SQ), MPC Gold, Amex Plat
My 2 cents worth - Seoul definitely worth a couple of days. Has some great shopping (particularly given the massive depreciation in the won v USD and EUR), amazing food and friendly people.

Yes, as someone mentioned it's hard to get an english menu although staff will help as much as they can. If you speak chinese sometimes some of the staff will speak it which is a help. 4 of us were there last month and ordered by pointing at the pictures we liked at one particular local restaurant (near the University, we were staying at Sofitel). When the food came out we didn't know what to do with it, seeing that we were puzzled the owner blended all the food together for us, cut up our kimchi etc. She was so hopeful and we found this to be the case all over Korea.

If you're into premium brand shopping then there's a number of top end department stores as well as the Premium Outlet shopping centre in Yeoju.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.