Wiki Posts
Search

ATMs in Seoul

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2007, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Free Agent
ATMs in Seoul

Are there any issues with US ATM cards and ATMs in Seoul? I take it that I won't have any problems with getting cash using an ATM in ICN?
Old Sep 8, 2007, 10:54 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
You have to find one that is designated as a global or international ATM. The regular ones won't work. I find that most banks will have at leat one in their lobby, just look for the one marked global. Have not yet found any in the convenience stores.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
I have had a MUCH easier time getting cash out of ATMs in Seoul versus Tokyo, if that helps. I bank with a smallish local credit union.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL Gold ex DM, Marriott and Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Condition One
Are there any issues with US ATM cards and ATMs in Seoul? I take it that I won't have any problems with getting cash using an ATM in ICN?
As it was said earlier, regular ATMS in Seoul will not work with your foreign debit card. Even the ones that are labeled GLOBAL or INTL seems not to work... most of the times, the banks disable the function.

I have found Citibank ATMS to be just fine.. Even better, the ATMS inside post offices, subway stations and convenience stores work EVERY time... without a doubt.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
Originally Posted by xxdboixx
As it was said earlier, regular ATMS in Seoul will not work with your foreign debit card. Even the ones that are labeled GLOBAL or INTL seems not to work... most of the times, the banks disable the function.

I have found Citibank ATMS to be just fine.. Even better, the ATMS inside post offices, subway stations and convenience stores work EVERY time... without a doubt.

Not quite my experience....

International ATMs with the Cirrus logo would not take my Cirrus ATM-only card, but would take my bank-issued ATM/debit card (Mastercard/Cirrus). Definitely the case with the ATM I generally used in the main Seoul train station.

Aggravating, because as a rule I avoid debit cards like the plague.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 2:13 pm

Programs: Starwood, National, United, Asiana, Southwest
ATMs in Seoul

Hi,

I found that my debit card worked very well when I lived in Seoul. I was actually able to use the ATM that was in the subway, at least the one in I'Taewon, which is an area near the Army base and caters to foreigners.

Jenn
Old Sep 12, 2007, 3:01 pm

I should have clarified.. when I say debit card.. i meant both debit card and credit card with the Cirrus or Plus logo.

The Korean bank ATMS with even GLOBAL or INTL will have a hard time reading these cards... even if it says Cirrus or PLUS on the machine. The best place to go and get money with any kind of foreign card is the post office, subway station or convenience store... or like i said before, a Citibank machine.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:15 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
good to know about Citibank, anyone know if there is a Citibank ATM inside of ICN?

--
Old Sep 13, 2007, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
good to know about Citibank, anyone know if there is a Citibank ATM inside of ICN?

--
Yes. there is a branch and ATMS at ICN...

Address: 1F, Incheon 1st Port International Passenger Terminal 85-72, Hang-dong 7ga Jung-gu Incheon , 400037
Staffed Hours: 09:30 to 16:30
Phone: 032/891-2600
Services:
24 Hour International ATM Service
24 Hour Citicard Banking Center (CBC)
CitiGold Service
Safe Deposit Box
Emergency Cash

Most of the ATMs at ICN will work with foreign cards, just fine. You don't necessarily have to go to Citi, unless that's your home bank.. =)

I know Bank of America has affiliations with certain worldwide banks where you don't get charged for using their ATMs... At the last time I called them, there were no Korean banks that were affiliated with BofA but things might have changed now... I know there were some banks in UK, Japan, Australia and France that were affiliated with BofA.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Yes. there is a branch and ATMS at ICN...

Address: 1F, Incheon 1st Port International Passenger Terminal 85-72, Hang-dong 7ga Jung-gu Incheon , 400037
Staffed Hours: 09:30 to 16:30
Phone: 032/891-2600
Services:
24 Hour International ATM Service
24 Hour Citicard Banking Center (CBC)
CitiGold Service
Safe Deposit Box
Emergency Cash

Hi,

Sorry to dig out an old thread. But I am going there on Sat. citibank website didn't show this branch. Wondering if this is still a citibank within airport.

Thanks
Old Aug 28, 2013, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
to answer my own question, as i just been there couple days ago. There was no more citibank in the airport.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

There's tons of Citibank branches in Seoul though.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:14 am

Programs: SPG, Krisflyer
Hi,

Certain machines work, and they have the option to change the language to english.

It will probably be a button in the bottom right Saying "English, chinese and japanese" In their respective languages.

Press this and then you have the choice, domestic or foreign.. Hit foreign and then you will have another choice of which account to withdraw from.. Your checking or your savings I think, regardless of whether you have savings linked to the bank card itself.

Another thing I noted that confused me while I was there is in the ATM banks, where you have five or so in a row, only one of them will be international.. And it may not always be clear.

Fees are not shown at time of withdrawal when using the English language, so that really peed me off.. charged a few thousand for the privilege and not being told about it.

Best of luck,

Will
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by Aventine
There's tons of Citibank branches in Seoul though.
My advice is to seek out a Citibank. There are 220 branches and they have ATM machines in the subway. No fees charged for foreign cards.

Being used to Japan, I figured there would only be a handful of Citis in the city (turned out that there was one a few 100 metes have), so I first tried a 7-11 next to my hotel. The machine was Lotte Bank. They wanted 3000 something service fee and then a conversion to USD using their rate causing nearly $10 total or 10% fee to withdraw 100,000 won.

One thing is that you can use CCs everywhere in Seoul. The only exception is public transit. If we had not taken public transit then we could have managed a weekend without any cash.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by gnaget
Being used to Japan, I figured there would only be a handful of Citis in the city (turned out that there was one a few 100 metes have), so I first tried a 7-11 next to my hotel. The machine was Lotte Bank. They wanted 3000 something service fee and then a conversion to USD using their rate causing nearly $10 total or 10% fee to withdraw 100,000 won.
My experience with 7-11 ATMs was that I could decline the conversion to euros but it wanted the 3000 won fee. Also with any amount over 100000 wons it said with my Mastercard that withdrawal limit exceeded. In other words, better find some other ATM but 7-11 works in emergencies as long as you decline the conversion and let your bank/cc-company do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.