Reload this Page >

Seoul Food - Korea

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seoul Food - Korea

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2011, 3:25 am

I dont think Korean food is very expensive in Seoul.

If u eat Korean food like bibimbap, porridge, Chicken ginseng soup etc, they are all fairly well priced.
Cheaper than in the USA.
Those sushi rice things with seaweed are really cheap too.
Food is tasty as well.

Coffee is really expensive though.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by HawaiiO

And tasteless. I've had stronger coffee from McDonald's than some of the franchise joints.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 5:22 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by stupidhead
And tasteless. I've had stronger coffee from McDonald's than some of the franchise joints.
Lots of the Korean coffeeshop franchises import their own coffee beans directly from African or South American countries and grind them on-site in their shops.

Would you know what the origin of the McD coffee is in Korea?
Old Jun 12, 2011, 8:46 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by mosburger
I've easten a lot of (Korean) Chinese food in Seoul and elsewhere in Korea over the years and never got sick out of it. The MSG point is true and therefore it's good to ask the staff beforehand if they use it and ask not to put anything into your dishes.

Could recommend a few (Korean) Chinese restaurants in Seoul if anyone has interest. The "real" Chinese are harder to find and not always in desirable parts of the capital.
If you give Koreans real Chinese food, most of them wouldn't like the taste. That's why it's hard to find authentic Chinese restaurants in Korea. It's only available where there is high concentration Chinese population, which I do not know where that is in Seoul.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 3:23 am

Programs: Skypass, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Asiana, Krisflyer, Etihad Guest, Velocity Rewards
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
I dont think Korean food is very expensive in Seoul.

If u eat Korean food like bibimbap, porridge, Chicken ginseng soup etc, they are all fairly well priced.
Cheaper than in the USA.
Those sushi rice things with seaweed are really cheap too.
Food is tasty as well.

Touche. BBQ, Bibimbap is very very well priced.

Can't understand the complaints.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Vidic15
Touche. BBQ, Bibimbap is very very well priced.

Can't understand the complaints.
Go to the nearest megamart and look at the price of fresh foods. Also take into account the fact that GDP per capita in the US is $48k while Korea's is $20k, the 10,000won in Seoul isn't that much better priced than $15 for the same dish in New York. In real price terms, food in Korea is more expensive.

One point on BBQ, how many portions do you order? For me at least, I have to order at least two to be full (esp. beef) while in the US one will be more than enough. The cost of domestic beef is ridiculous here. US$22 a pound for something like ribeye at the local megamart. I've only seen prices within even screaming distance of that at Whole Foods back in the states.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:14 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Go to the nearest megamart and look at the price of fresh foods. Also take into account the fact that GDP per capita in the US is $48k while Korea's is $20k, the 10,000won in Seoul isn't that much better priced than $15 for the same dish in New York. In real price terms, food in Korea is more expensive.

One point on BBQ, how many portions do you order? For me at least, I have to order at least two to be full (esp. beef) while in the US one will be more than enough. The cost of domestic beef is ridiculous here. US$22 a pound for something like ribeye at the local megamart. I've only seen prices within even screaming distance of that at Whole Foods back in the states.
When did US GDP jump to 48k? Anyways, eat the beef and pork that locals eat and you'll save money. Koreans don't eat much steak, they prefer thin sliced and marinated beef.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by skchin
When did US GDP jump to 48k? Anyways, eat the beef and pork that locals eat and you'll save money. Koreans don't eat much steak, they prefer thin sliced and marinated beef.
The cost of ALL food went up. Like doubled. Even the meats the the locals eat doubled in cost (I read at least a half dozen articles in the past two months on the cost of pork bellies, which I hate and everyone seems to like-now a whopping $13 a pound). They were expensive in the first place, now the cost of food is somewhere between absurd and insane. Next you'll tell me to starve

Btw, they don't prefer thin sliced and marinated beef, none of the beef restaurants sell the stuff anymore. And btw, the thin sliced stuff at the megamart is sold thin sliced and marinated because it's usually the lowest quality beef. Don't even get me started on the restaurants that sell imported beef/pork/whatever as domestic and charge twice as much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...al)_per_capita US GDP per capita varies between $45k and $47k depending on the source. Either way, the cost of fresh food should be cheaper in Korea given that people make less money here, but it's more expensive.

Last edited by stupidhead; Jun 19, 2011 at 5:16 am
Old Jun 22, 2011, 8:10 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Just wrapped up my first week (of 8) in & around Seoul. This thread has been quite useful in suggesting some good places. Thanks! I'm also lucky to have several Korean friends as willing tour guides.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 9:18 pm

Programs: SPG
Anybody visit the Korea Food Festival at Jeonju before? I will travel to Seoul coming October, but not sure if worth to go there.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Btw, they don't prefer thin sliced and marinated beef, none of the beef restaurants sell the stuff anymore.
I was at a BBQ place in Haengsin that had it on Wednesday. 15,000 won all you can eat beef/pork/sausage/duck. Must've been a fluke.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 4:18 pm

Free Shuttle Bus to Jeonju

Originally Posted by ahfang
Anybody visit the Korea Food Festival at Jeonju before? I will travel to Seoul coming October, but not sure if worth to go there.
If you're headed to Jeonju, are you going to sign up for the free Shuttle Bus for tourists as part of the VisitKorea program?

I've had colleagues try it out this year, and it was worth it to them. Just need to sign up in advance, and it's open only to non-Korea passport holders.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
IMHO all the better Myeong-dong area restaurants are on the Namsan side, i.e where the Prince and Pacific hotels are located. That is where the local office workers eat daily as opposed to the touristy offerings on the shopping streets.
Well, at least two exceptions to this where I've been recently with Korean friends with discerning tastes.

One joint specialized in Korean black pudding in a small side street in Myeong-dong and an offal restaurant on the main throughfare. Both are packed with Japanese tourists trusting their guidebook recs, and in this case they are right to trust those.

Will post the restaurants names and addresses when back in Seoul.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:41 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by n301dp
Just wrapped up my first week (of 8) in & around Seoul. This thread has been quite useful in suggesting some good places. Thanks! I'm also lucky to have several Korean friends as willing tour guides.
^ to both statements
Will post the restaurants names and addresses when back in Seoul.
excellent, thanks.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by imm2b
Great thread on Seoul food. I'll be staying at the Park Hyatt Seoul (995-14 Daechi 3 - dong Gangnam - gu) for a few days next month. Could any recommend a few local Korean restaurants to try in that neighborhood? Thanks!
This is a fantastic hotel. I stayed there in May.

Have you gone already? If you go over to Gangnam, you can find some great restaurants. Bonga 본가 is really good... also Sae-Ma-Eul-Shik-Dang (새마을식당) (www.newmaul.com). That's actually me and my fiance's favorite place to go... it's a chain within Seoul but it is excellent. It's really thinly sliced pork with a spicy sauce that they put on top and mix when putting it on the grill. Get the 7 minute kimchi jigae as well and you will be very happy.

You can also go to COEX if you're tired and don't want to stray too far from the hotel. There's this thing called AnDongJjimDalk (Andong Chicken) that is really good in COEX. I think it's near a 7-11 there. If you can't find it, just ask information and I'm sure they'll guide you there.

Have fun in Korea and definitely enjoy the Park Hyatt!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.