Reload this Page >

Seoul Food - Korea

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seoul Food - Korea

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2010, 3:49 am

Is the Benihana at Seoul still around? I've been wanting Japanese teppanyaki like for-freakin'-ever and I haven't been able to find such a place in either Seoul or Busan.

I never went to Benihana when I was in the states, ugh my standards are getting way too low.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 4:18 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by skchin
Cheese isn't very big in Korea.
There are exceptions to this. Some amazingly well kept wine bars even in the provinces with excellent cheese sortiments considering the availability.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by stupidhead
Is the Benihana at Seoul still around? I've been wanting Japanese teppanyaki like for-freakin'-ever and I haven't been able to find such a place in either Seoul or Busan.

I never went to Benihana when I was in the states, ugh my standards are getting way too low.
I've heard that there's one at Nonhyun Station but I'm not sure.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by warlando
I've heard that there's one at Nonhyun Station but I'm not sure.
Turns out there's none in Seoul per their website, but found a teppanyaki place in Hongdae. Probably absurdly expensive too.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:22 am

Someone upthread mentioned the Myeongdong area. I highly recommend Myeongdong Gyoja (also, last known working English link), and it happens to be one of the few places in the area where the line snakes out the door with locals on weekend mornings. Some online reviews consider it overrated, but I personally enjoy it.

Menu is simple; go for the kalguksu (knife-cut wheat noodles) soup and maybe a side of mandoo (dumplings). Orders are taken fairly quickly, so the line moves fast.

Last edited by ntamayo; Dec 22, 2010 at 11:28 am
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:14 pm

about Gyoja's Kalguksu, I personally dislike it as it's too greasy to me but yeah, I agree that place is very popular and most people like it.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 2:34 am

Lots of domestic, Chinese and Japanese shopping toursts at Gyoja's so be prepared for big crowds and busy staff.

IMHO all the better Myeong-dong area restaurants are on the Namsan side, i.e where the Prince and Pacific hotels are located. That is where the local office workers eat daily as opposed to the touristy offerings on the shopping streets.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by warlando
There is one famous Korean BBQ restaurant I know as a local. It's called "Byeokje Galbi" in Bangi station(subway). They serve fresh meat from Korea and you can roast it as much as you want in front of you by yourself. kinda expensive compared to other Korean BBQ restaurants but I think it worhts it.
There is also an excellent BBQ place next to Janghan-pyeong subway station (line 5) somewhat NE of Namsan. It's opposite of a big officetel building and next door of a car parts shop.

The restaurant is combined with a first rate butchershop (you select the meats from the butchers counter first) and apparently people who just sold their car to one of the scrap shops in the area come here to blow their hard earned won away. Really prime meats and some tasty fish soup etc. afterwards if that wasn't enough. And the soju flows freely.
Old May 1, 2011, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by mosburger
One of the owners is French and to my undestanding also part of the kitchen brigade. The absolute majority of the Korean customers order mussel pots and beer/wine but I do think their other bistro dishes are quite passable. Cheese plate is well executed.
Now that you say bistro, I so want a big, bloody steak frites the size of my head....every steakhouse I go to overcooks it. Even the Korean BBQ places (which I stay away from since they cut the $50/pound beef so thin it disintegrates the second it hits the pan...it's terrible what Koreans do to good beef here. I've been to a restaurant that actually made knife marks so deep the steak looked like a waffle.....and this on a TENDERLOIN!!!!)

....it's really too bad I have to stay away from beef since I'm trying to lose weight and all...13 pounds and counting.

Last edited by stupidhead; May 1, 2011 at 4:03 am
Old May 9, 2011, 3:44 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by stupidhead
Now that you say bistro, I so want a big, bloody steak frites the size of my head....every steakhouse I go to overcooks it. Even the Korean BBQ places (which I stay away from since they cut the $50/pound beef so thin it disintegrates the second it hits the pan...it's terrible what Koreans do to good beef here. I've been to a restaurant that actually made knife marks so deep the steak looked like a waffle.....and this on a TENDERLOIN!!!!)

....it's really too bad I have to stay away from beef since I'm trying to lose weight and all...13 pounds and counting.
Beef is expensive in Korea, just stick with pork tenderloins.
Old May 12, 2011, 8:24 am

Everything's expensive in Korea. Everything except wages. You earn 40% of what you'd earn in the US and food costs twice up to five times as much.
Old May 22, 2011, 3:29 am

Or offal. Just had a rather boozy lunch in an offal restaurant just next to the Pacific Hotel near Myeong-Dong with a business partner. The place is on the opposite side of the pork knuckle joint mentioned earlier in this thread.

Delicious tongue and stomach, accompanied by microbrewed Korean rice wine, good rice and side dishes including a complimentary miso stew.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Or offal. Just had a rather boozy lunch in an offal restaurant just next to the Pacific Hotel near Myeong-Dong with a business partner. The place is on the opposite side of the pork knuckle joint mentioned earlier in this thread.

Delicious tongue and stomach, accompanied by microbrewed Korean rice wine, good rice and side dishes including a complimentary miso stew.
On the opposite side toward Myeong-Dong or away? And doesn't the pork place have two store fronts?
Old May 24, 2011, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
On the opposite side toward Myeong-Dong or away? And doesn't the pork place have two store fronts?
More or less directly across the Pacific Hotel entrance and parking lot. The staff are all Korean-Chinese and a bit disinterested but the food really makes up for that.

Yes, the pork place has two storefronts, one a few meters towards Namsan.
Old May 24, 2011, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
More or less directly across the Pacific Hotel entrance and parking lot. The staff are all Korean-Chinese and a bit disinterested but the food really makes up for that.

Yes, the pork place has two storefronts, one a few meters towards Namsan.
OK, facing the pork resto. I understand fully now. Will look out for it on the next visit. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.