Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

transit in INCHEON to US

transit in INCHEON to US

Old Jun 19, 2020, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

transit in INCHEON to US

I'm in Taiwan right now, and I'm planning to book a mid-July Delta flight from Taiwan to Atlanta. The itinerary would be TPE -> INC -> ATL. The layover at INC is 50 mins.

I've heard that the Korean government is requesting people to install a self-reporting COVID-19 app. But I'm assuming that's for people entering Korea and not transit passengers?

Also on the Korea airlines website it says passengers traveling to the US from Korea need to go to Exit Station B and get a health screening certificate first before they can check-in. I am also presuming this doesn't affect transit passengers since we are already "inside" the terminal?

I'm concerned because the transit time is only 50 mins, and if there's some additional COVID-19 requirements/hiccups I'm not aware of, I'm completely screwed. I've never been to incheon before by the way. Thanks a lot.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tesphergas213
I'm in Taiwan right now, and I'm planning to book a mid-July Delta flight from Taiwan to Atlanta. The itinerary would be TPE -> INC -> ATL. The layover at INC is 50 mins.

I've heard that the Korean government is requesting people to install a self-reporting COVID-19 app. But I'm assuming that's for people entering Korea and not transit passengers?

Also on the Korea airlines website it says passengers traveling to the US from Korea need to go to Exit Station B and get a health screening certificate first before they can check-in. I am also presuming this doesn't affect transit passengers since we are already "inside" the terminal?

I'm concerned because the transit time is only 50 mins, and if there's some additional COVID-19 requirements/hiccups I'm not aware of, I'm completely screwed. I've never been to incheon before by the way. Thanks a lot.
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm
Korea (Rep.)
Published 15.06.2020
1. Short-term visas (type C-1 and C-3) issued on or before 5 April are no longer valid.
2. Visa exemptions for 90 nationalities with a normal passport are temporarily suspended.
- This does not apply to airline crew.
- This does not apply to passengers with an APEC Business Travel Card.
3. Korean visas issued by the Wuhan Consulate in the Hubei Province are no longer valid.
4. Visitors who have been in the Hubei Province (China People's Rep.) in the past 14 days are not allowed to transit or enter Korea (Rep.).
5. Nationals of China (People’s Rep.) with a passport issued in the Hubei Province are not allowed to transit or enter Korea (Rep.).
6. Passengers arriving from China (People's Rep) must have a visa issued by Korea (Rep.) to transit through Korea (Rep.).
- This does not apply to nationals of Albania, Andorra, Barbados, Dominica, Guyana, Ireland (Rep.), Korea (Rep.), Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Nicaragua, Palau, San Marino, Slovenia, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, USA, Vatican City (Holy See) and Venezuela.
- This does not apply to passengers with a British passport.
- This does not apply to passengers with a diplomatic, consular, official, service or special passport.
7. Passengers are subject to quarantine for 14 days and to a PCR test for Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- This does not apply to nationals of China (People's Rep.) traveling on business under the Fast Lane program and their accompanying family members. They must:
- self-monitor their health conditions minimum 14 days before departure and hold a medical certificate to prove Coronavirus (COVID-19) negative testing result issued at most 72 hours before departure, and
- be tested on Coronavirus (COVID-19) upon arrival. They must stay at designated quarantine facilities for 1 or 2 days until a negative test result is obtained.
8. Nationals and residents of Korea (Rep.) are required to install 'Self-quarantine safety protection mobile app'.
9. Passengers and airline crew must install 'Self-diagnosis Mobile App' in their personal device and a completed Health Declaration Form and a Special Quarantine Declaration Form must be presented to the quarantine desk upon arrival.
10. All flights must arrive at Incheon International Airport (ICN) between 5:00 and 20:00.
11. Residents of Korea (Rep.) must have a Re-Entry Permit and a medical certificate.
The certificate must:
- be issued by a local authorized medical institute at most 48 hours before departure; and
- be written in English or Korean; and
- include the date of examination, and the presence or absence of fever, cough, chills, headache, difficulty of breathing, muscle pain and pulmonary symptoms; and
- be signed by a medical examiner.
- This does not apply to passengers with status Diplomats (A-1), Government Officials (A-2, A-3) or Overseas Korean (F-4).
12. Nationals of Mongolia are not allowed to transit if they depart from Mongolia or travel onward to Mongolia.
13. Nationals of Russian Fed. are not allowed to transit if they depart from Russian Fed. or travel onward to Russian Fed.
14. Nationals of Thailand are not allowed to transit if they depart from Thailand or travel onward to Thailand.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 3:53 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
You'll be fine as long as it is one reservation together. The app is for arriving passengers. You do not need a visa or any special procedure to transit this way. MANY people make 50 minute connections. Especially in these "Corona times," they would require a longer layover if there was "more to do." You'll be fine. Many people are doing exactly as you are and transiting through ICN to go to America/other places.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 3:54 am

This doesn't really answer the OP's question though........as a transit passenger none of that is really relevant.
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks Mike haha.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 6:50 pm

OP, did you have your flight yet? I'm transiting through ICN soon and wondering if I also have to get the health screening certificate.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by hieunguyen725
OP, did you have your flight yet? I'm transiting through ICN soon and wondering if I also have to get the health screening certificate.
The health certificate is only for passengers departing from Korea. Aka checking in at ICN airport as their first flight. If you are transiting, they might take your temperature or ask a question or two, but you don't have to exit the airport to go get that form. It's literally not possible to exit freely.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

yeah you don't need to do anything. they give you a form and take your temperature thats it.
Old May 26, 2021, 1:19 pm

Update on transit at ICN

May I know if there are new rules or policies when transiting at ICN?
Do I need to have only 1 booking reference or ticket for my first and connecting flights? Or 2 different tickets (ie. 2 different airlines wherein the boarding pass for the connecting flight will be collected at ICN) are also allowed?
What's the maximum time of layover?
Any other tips?
Thanks.
Old May 27, 2021, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by ABG2202
May I know if there are new rules or policies when transiting at ICN?
Do I need to have only 1 booking reference or ticket for my first and connecting flights? Or 2 different tickets (ie. 2 different airlines wherein the boarding pass for the connecting flight will be collected at ICN) are also allowed?
What's the maximum time of layover?
Any other tips?
Thanks.
The rules are the same. If you have bags - be careful that they will automatically transfer. You can't go get them and re check-in. You can fly with two separate boarding passes IF you can have them on mobile sure.
Old May 27, 2021, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
The rules are the same. If you have bags - be careful that they will automatically transfer. You can't go get them and re check-in. You can fly with two separate boarding passes IF you can have them on mobile sure.
Thanks for your reply.
So, I need to have single booking ref with multiple BP/airlines.
Two (2) booking ref is not allowed? Where can I find this rule?

From: https://flyasiana.com/C/US/EN/custom...5030Additional Notice
  • Transit Regulations
    • Only possible for ticket holders with confirmed departure within 24 hours - Does this means single booking reference?
Old May 29, 2021, 3:19 am

Thanks for your reply.
So, I need to have single booking ref with multiple BP/airlines.
Two (2) booking ref is not allowed? Where can I find this rule?

From: https://flyasiana.com/C/US/EN/custom...5030Additional Notice
  • Transit Regulations
    • Only possible for ticket holders with confirmed departure within 24 hours - Does this means single booking reference?
You can have two separate bookings sure IF AND ONLY IF you can get the boarding pass yourself on your phone OR the transit desk (because you cannot go out and re check in at the check in counters) AND if you have luggage it MUST be transferred by the airlines ( you can't go out and collect it and re check in)

Only possible ....within 4 hours means very simply:

If you arrive at 5 PM - your next flight out must be within 24 hours of that aka you can't stay in transit more than 24 hours....nothing to do with single booking reference at all.
Old May 29, 2021, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
You can have two separate bookings sure IF AND ONLY IF you can get the boarding pass yourself on your phone OR the transit desk (because you cannot go out and re check in at the check in counters) AND if you have luggage it MUST be transferred by the airlines ( you can't go out and collect it and re check in)

Only possible ....within 4 hours means very simply:

If you arrive at 5 PM - your next flight out must be within 24 hours of that aka you can't stay in transit more than 24 hours....nothing to do with single booking reference at all.
What if the bp on the phone doesn't have the gate info yet? Will it be updated before boarding?

Are the transfer desk in ICN airside available 24 hours during this pandemic?

Last edited by ABG2202; May 29, 2021 at 3:41 am
Old May 31, 2021, 3:39 am

What if the bp on the phone doesn't have the gate info yet? Will it be updated before boarding?

Are the transfer desk in ICN airside available 24 hours during this pandemic?
Totally fine without gate info that always changes anyway

Not sure of the exact hours BUT they're operating of course bc flights are still going too
Old Jun 29, 2021, 9:35 am

Just re-activating this thread. This time, planning to have a separate booking. First PNR, to ICN, second PNR from ICN. If I can check-in online for the 2nd PNR, good.
But will I be allowed at the boarding gate of ICN using the online check-in BP?
Or do I need to go to transfer desk to collect the printed BP?
I don't have any check-in luggage, only hand carry.
Can I pass through T2 & T1 vice-versa? Just in case if I arrive at T2 and T1 is my connecting flight or vice-versa.
Hope someone can answer these questions.
Thanks.

Last edited by ABG2202; Jun 29, 2021 at 10:38 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.