Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

JSA tour recommendation?

JSA tour recommendation?

Reply

Old Apr 10, 18, 4:27 am
  #16  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, hold AA, UA, BA, AMEX points
Posts: 1,332
Apparently the JSA is closed for April, so unfortunately I won't be going. Trying to determine the quickest route to Dora Observatory for a quick glimpse. Do not want to go on a prolonged tour.
saaveraward is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 18, 2:09 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 1,867
Originally Posted by saaveraward View Post
Apparently the JSA is closed for April, so unfortunately I won't be going. Trying to determine the quickest route to Dora Observatory for a quick glimpse. Do not want to go on a prolonged tour.
Just for april or is this going to go into may as well? I was planning on a mid-may trip.
Red259 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 18, 7:17 pm
  #18  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, hold AA, UA, BA, AMEX points
Posts: 1,332
I'm not sure. There's no website to check but I've been told all of April and until April 27.
saaveraward is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 18, 7:18 pm
  #19  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, hold AA, UA, BA, AMEX points
Posts: 1,332
And I've been told if you want to do the DMZ you have to do the entire tour course which is 2.5-3 hours. There is no going just to Dora lookout.
saaveraward is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 18, 8:34 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: AA EXP LT Plat >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Posts: 2,337
Originally Posted by saaveraward View Post
I'm not sure. There's no website to check but I've been told all of April and until April 27.
There are meetings at the end of April between N and S Korea at the JSA so it is closed to the public.
worldiswide is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 18, 5:35 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 1,867
Originally Posted by worldiswide View Post
There are meetings at the end of April between N and S Korea at the JSA so it is closed to the public.
Is this extending into mid-May in the lead-up to the summit?
Red259 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 18, 7:18 pm
  #22  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, hold AA, UA, BA, AMEX points
Posts: 1,332
Best to book now, contact your hotel concierge to see how long it is scheduled to be closed.
saaveraward is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 18, 8:34 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: AA EXP LT Plat >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Posts: 2,337
Originally Posted by Red259 View Post
Is this extending into mid-May in the lead-up to the summit?
unknown, but concierge should know or call kori door during business hours. We have decided to replace it with the war memorial of Korea as our history spot..
worldiswide is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 18, 4:40 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: KBL
Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
Posts: 279
I really have a bad karma. I tried to book a 3rd tunnel&Panmunjon Tour for the first week of May (05 to 09 May) but was told that :

- 05/05 is not possible due to national holiday in Korea;
- 06&07/05 are not possible because Panmunjon is closed on Sundays and Mondays
- 08/05 is not possible "due to military reason".

And since I'm leaving on the 09/05, it looks like I won't be able to visit Panmunjon.

I have the opportunity to visit the 3rd Tunnel as well as the Dora observatory. Is that interesting/worth it?
Enthilza is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 18, 12:42 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hotlanta.
Programs: I've gone underground!
Posts: 3,313
Originally Posted by Enthilza View Post
I have the opportunity to visit the 3rd Tunnel as well as the Dora observatory. Is that interesting/worth it?
I did exactly this on my first Korea trip and found it incredibly fascinating.
emma dog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 18, 10:00 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea
Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
Posts: 1,566
Try another company, too. My friend that was visiting a few weeks ago had her trip cancelled due to "military exercise," BUT she claimed others that were at the tunnel and observatory did actually go that day. They told her "her time" was cancelled. So check again definitely!

And I mean, yes, I would go to see the Observatory and the Tunnel if you really want to. Just try to book the shortest tour possible for that to save your time. No need for lunch or a tour with a shopping stop.
mikesaidyes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 18, 11:36 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: KBL
Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
Posts: 279
@emma dog
Good to know. I ended booking that "Half DMZ Tour" from Koridoor, looks interesting indeed.

@mikesaidyes
That's what I did. I sent emails to 3 different companies and unfortunately they all had the same schedule. I agree with you and really wanted to avoid the ginseng/amethyst shopping stops. The tour I booked has a lunch stop but no shopping stop.

Thanks for the info folks.
Enthilza is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 18, 3:48 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Sunny So Cal
Programs: SPG, HH, IHG, BA, DL
Posts: 95
Originally Posted by Enthilza View Post
@emma dog
Good to know. I ended booking that "Half DMZ Tour" from Koridoor, looks interesting indeed.

@mikesaidyes
That's what I did. I sent emails to 3 different companies and unfortunately they all had the same schedule. I agree with you and really wanted to avoid the ginseng/amethyst shopping stops. The tour I booked has a lunch stop but no shopping stop.

Thanks for the info folks.
We just came back from Korea and used Korridor tours.

They were very convenient to get to by train and the half day was actually more like 3/4 day.

Learned quite a lot and got to see the super deep tunnel that the NK dug claiming to be a coal mine, train bridge between north and south, and the famous Unification train station that is not being used but so clean ready to re-connect with the north.

Good lunch at the military / train station too!



DMZ museum
4sallypat is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 18, 12:01 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 128
Originally Posted by saaveraward View Post
I found this company with an 11:00 am Saturday departure and booked it. Will advise how it turns out.

DMZ TOURS Korea DMZ Tour Reservation Center - Seoul Tour Korea
Honest question. The other tours start at 7-9am. You've found one that started at 11am.

You ended your other post with "too much to do in Seoul"

What other things were you planning to do for 4 hours in the morning?

I understand sleeping in.
travelbarefeet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 18, 3:13 pm
  #30  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 22,066
Originally Posted by travelbarefeet View Post
Honest question. The other tours start at 7-9am. You've found one that started at 11am.

You ended your other post with "too much to do in Seoul"

What other things were you planning to do for 4 hours in the morning?

I understand sleeping in.
Doint know when you are going, I will be there in 2 weeks and all of the JSA tours for Oct were KOed, although there are some for Nov+ I think if things start moving between all the sides that they too probably will be KOed. Im not talking about the 1/2 day tours that dont go to JSA. Back in Sept there were numerous JSA tours to be booked but as things moved ahead they were all KOed

Im doing Koridoor only cause its very close to where I will be staying and will be rushed to get to an evening event afterwards
craz is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread