Night downtown

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Night downtown

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Night downtown

I will be spending a night in Seoul arriving 8pm and departing 2pm the following day.
With ~4 hours I can dedicate to sightseeing, it seem logical to stay as close to the Gyeongbokung palace as possible.

I currently have reservation for Courtyard Seoul Namdaemun, but consider changing that to Best Western New Hotel Seoul which seem to be closest to the palace. Additionally it seem to benefit from the fact Airport Limo stops ~1 minute walking distance from the hotel.

Any suggestions?
AX
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:17 pm

Courtyard is more centrally located and easier to get to other tourist spots like Myeongdong and Itaewon. Cabs are also super cheap, you could easily take a cab from the Courtyard to the palace. Courtyard is also right by Seoul station which has train service to the airport, which is much faster than the airport limo, although the airport limo is easier if you're travelling with a lot of baggage.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Those two hotels are literally steps away from each other. As far as getting to other areas, the transit options, ease of taxi access etc. will be the exact same. Just a matter of which hotel you prefer. I haven't stayed in either, so I can't comment.

The immediate area around the hotel will be busy during the day with office workers and fairly quiet after 9 PM. For nightlife, you can just walk east to Jongak/Jongno 3 area, Myeongdong etc.

There are several airport buses including Korean Air Limo Lines that go to that area, so in reality, you can catch one of several buses if they come earlier than the other.

Also, on the way back to maximize time, take the train. If your flight is at 2, you should be at the airport around 12-12:30. Don't want any lunchtime traffic risk.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Thanks B407 and mikesaidyes.
As I have platinum status with Marriott and no status with BW I guess Courtyard is better choice.

As it will be Sunday, I guess there will be less lunch hour traffic, so I am actually planning to use taxi.

How difficult it is to find a taxi at the Seoul station?

AX

Last edited by AX9465; Apr 6, 2017 at 9:50 am
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Westin Chosen has frequent airport bus service right at its door.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by AX9465
As I have platinum status with Marriott and no status with BW I guess Courtyard is better choice.

As it will be Sunday, I guess there will be less lunch hour traffic, so I am actually planning to use taxi.

AX
Taxis are everywhere, you should not have any difficulty flagging one. Traffic in Seoul can be bad on weekends too, so if you're planning to take a taxi to the airport make sure you allocate ample time.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:49 am

Do not take a taxi or a bus to the airport around that time. The interstate is clogged badly on weekend afternoons. I would take the train. You can maximize time and have a guaranteed on time arrival.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:49 am

And for taxis, if the red light in front is on, it's open.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by AX9465

AX
Just FYI BW does status matches. Marriott Gold got me BW Diamond, Plat will surely get you at least that.

Probably too late for this trip, but more statuses never hurt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.