Wiki Posts
Search

Michelin Seoul 2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Morning Calm, Marriott Plat., Hyatt Globalist
Michelin Seoul 2017

Michelin announced bip gourmand selections for Seoul. The list seems like a decent start, including not only "Bibimbap" and "BBQ" but more traditional mild flavored Korean food!

http://guide.michelin.co.kr/en/813/b...-seoul-2017-2/

And will be announcing Michelin Seoul guide on 11/7. Perhaps we can start a thread about the favorites and dislikes on the list!
Old Dec 24, 2016, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Morning Calm, Marriott Plat., Hyatt Globalist
https://www.viamichelin.com/web/Rest...kyTGprNU56YzU=

Here is a nice map compilation of the Michelin restaurants

Korea is a great food destination. On the other hand, corporate dining dominate the revenue stream of many high-end restaurants. Usually these venues are horrendously expensive, catering toward Korean values and lack value / sophistication / elegance / taste etc.

I think the Michelin guide did an awesome job in filtering many of the above restaurants while incorporating much local flavor. If you are new to the dining scene of Korea, it could serve as a nice guide working bottom to top. I do really like the bip gourmand list.

Some subjective thoughts on the restaurants

1. La Yeon (3 star): This is one of my goto place if I have to treat a foreigner VIP, although not exactly sure if it deserves 3 star status (= to make a trip to Seoul for the sole purpose to dine here). It will serve great Korean food in a method well presented and does combine the tastes quite elegantly.

2. Gaon (3 star): I have only been here once about a year or more ago. My impression was that they dumped normal Korean food in a petite manner and nice plate, often impacting the taste or temperature of the dish. The service and atmosphere is top notch, but the food left much to be desired. (Felt like food experiment went wrong)

3. I have not been to any of the 2 star ones, have heard good things about Kwon Sook Soo and loved Pierre in Hong Kong.

4. Jung Sik Dang / Mingles (1 star): If you want to see how high end Korean can be done, these are nice places to start at!

5. Balwoo Gongyang (1 star): Pleasantly surprised this made it. As a temple food place: if you are more of a gentle / mild palate person this could be for you.

Seems like I have so many places to try out next time I make it to Seoul!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.