Wiki Posts
Search

ICN Customs Entry Que Warning

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
ICN Customs Entry Que Warning

Im a fairly frequent traveler into ICN from various international destinations in Europe and Asia.

Friday April 8th 7pm was a absolute nightmare to pass through customs, approx 1:30. I know occasions before when it has been bad but never like this I estimate that there were well over 1,500 people in the ques for one area (the other was just the same).

I know other country's are bad at times, but I have noticed this last year that it is taking more time to get through both on early morning and evening arrivals.

As my work is mainly in the middle of Korea, now my point of entry will be Busan and KTX to my destination.

Would advise anyone that can to avoid ICN until its better run.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 5:51 pm

Not alone in ICN

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...nd-lately.html
Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Do you qualify for ABTC? That does help avoid the long immigration lines.

Busan can get backed up as well, although nothing on the scale of ICN. I don't see any relief from this unless there is another health scare such as MERS in summer 2015. Also, barring any delays the new Terminal is expected to be operational by the end of 2016.

In the meantime, if you have to get in line then go to the Korea Citizen line. If they question you, just tell them that the Customs official told you to get in that line.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: AA CK Hilton Diamond
+1 on the ABTC card.

I've been beating my coworkers to the hotel by over an hour on arrival at ICN and beating them to the airline lounge by at least half an hour on exit. Although there is an arguement that waiting in long lines may be better than the KAL concourse lounge. I have SES and ABTC. If I had to pick between the two I'd get the ABTC card.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Absolutely agree with the OP. I went through ICN last week and it took over 1 1/2 hour to get through immigration. Departure wasn't any better with the queue to the security checkpoint backing up into the terminal.
Old May 3, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: DL SM
Are there any days/times that are worse than others? My wife and I are travelling for her work, and we're set to get in at 6:30pm on a Tuesday evening (and have a 1:50 connection time). We're DTW-ICN on DL and then ICN-CEB on Asiana. I assumed we should be plenty okay, and heard that ICN has a system for transit passengers where it shouldn't be a huge deal.

EDIT - now looks like I don't have to go through customs like here in the good ol USA. Thank god, the rest of the world is so much better at this. I'll only be impacted in our layover back in Seoul on the way back (which is 50+ hours).

Last edited by RuesterGAGT; May 3, 2016 at 9:33 am
Old May 3, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
By 6:30p, it shouldn't be as heavy for transit. For KE and OZ (largest tenants aka most traffic) the bulk of their America/Europe flights arrive 3-5p. Their evening flights to SE Asia start around 4-6, with some "late" ones around 8. You'll be fine. If you do find yourself in a massive line, show your itinerary to someone.

Generally, if you are cutting in close, you can skip security lines AT start of boarding time, which with Asiana, should be 30-35 minutes before departure. Show your boarding pass/itinerary to an ICN staffer managing the line. This is also true landside after check-in. You'll be fine!
Old May 8, 2016, 12:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I flew into ICN twice in March. The first time I arrived Tuesday afternoon at about 4 PM and the line took all of five minutes. The second time I arrived at about 9 PM on a Sunday and it took me 45 minutes to get through the line. In fact, it took so long my checked bag had been taken off the claim and brought to baggage services.

The latter experience was awful, one of the worst I've dealt with at any airport in my flying history.
Old May 11, 2016, 12:01 am

Passed through ICN immigration on a Sat ca. 2 weeks ago shortly after 5pm and happy to report that the whole area was virtually empty – perhaps some 20 people spread across 6 or 7 open immigration checkpoints. Took me less than 5 min to get through.

On the return leg a couple of days later at around 9pm on a Thu exit immigration took a little bit longer but not more than 20 min in total for both security check as well as passport stamp.
Old May 11, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Korean Air Morning Calm Premium Club
Originally Posted by noturbulence
Passed through ICN immigration on a Sat ca. 2 weeks ago shortly after 5pm and happy to report that the whole area was virtually empty – perhaps some 20 people spread across 6 or 7 open immigration checkpoints. Took me less than 5 min to get through.

On the return leg a couple of days later at around 9pm on a Thu exit immigration took a little bit longer but not more than 20 min in total for both security check as well as passport stamp.

I am very happy to hear this! Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:34 am

Any update ?

What is the current status of security and immigration at ICN ? Arrival time would be at 10 am on Thursday and departure at 930 am on Friday. Any VIP arrival or departure services for fee ?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Arrivals are fine. Its the morning departure that will be crowded. 9:30am means it'll be a zoo at the airport. No VIP departure service, but a good way to avoid the mess is to do the check in at Seoul Train station. However you will need to get there 3 hours before departure. Click here for more info.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
ICN seems good about elite check in lines IME but the problem is that exit passport control and security can be a big mess, with one hour from the check in counter to the gate being a good morning.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
You can also do check in at Gangnam City Air Terminal for many airlines if you are staying nearby. Seoul Station is only for KE, OZ and 7C (Jeju Air).

With check in at these two locations, you can use the Crew Security Lanes located on the sides of the security entrances. You MUST have the stamp on your boarding pass from the Seoul Station/Gangnam City Air Terminal Immigration offices, though.

You must check in at least 3 hours before departure.

I did this this on a Monday last month in Gangnam. No wait for KE web check in line. At the airport, I saved probably 30-40 minutes of security time. As others have said, mornings can be INTENSE at ICN.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:25 pm

How is the transit security during the peak evening arrivals around 530 pm for an Asiana to Asiana connection ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.