Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Japan Customs & Immigation Discussion (was Extremely long wait times...)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Japan Customs & Immigation Discussion (was Extremely long wait times...)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2016, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P

All - just wanted to give you a heads up on some really unusual wait times at NRT and HND lately. I fly in and out of Tokyo (both airports) about 8 times per month - I arrived yesterday around 3pm and the lines were unlike anything I had ever seen. Although this is a holiday week in China and there were lots of tourists the lines were excessive - literally backed up back into the terminals! There were lines set up - just to get into the lines in the immigration lines!

I attached a pic to show you the conditions... Also, HND was just as bad this week - not sure what is going on - even the lines to get out of baggage claim were so backed up that you couldn't walk past the carousels. It seems they are being much more careful with immigration lately. Typically is takes me about 20 minutes from deplaning to leaving baggage claim - yesterday it took me almost two hours... In the last 6 six years of being here I have never seen it like this - never.

Hopefully it is just people on holiday - just wanted to give people a heads up...
Attached Images  
Old Mar 27, 2016, 5:38 pm
In Memoriam

long lines

arr. NRT 11APR abt. 9a, hope the lines have cleared by then.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 5:58 pm

2hrs from gate to arrival concourse is unheard of! What is going on?!
Old Mar 27, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: FT
Yikes. 8pm arrival from hkg into NRT was so qucik I got a nex train early than anticipated.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 6:46 am

So it will be carry on luggage and ABTC when I arrive next week. I'm already arriving a bit late on a Saturday night so I don't want to waste precious Tokyo drinking time standing in an airport queue!
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I am sure this is not everyday occurrence happening all day long at NRT. However, right now is cherry blossom season in Japan and cherry blossom season has become very popular among non-Japanese tourists, just see how many people posted about traveling to Japan during cherry blossom season here at FT. With bad timing of your flight arrival and it is possible to face long line like that at an airport, I suppose. Authorities in Japan are aware of increase of foreign visitors to Japan. However, increase is happening much faster than front line people at airports can handle during peak time. Same time it is typical red tape observed everywhere in the world. It is not like authorities in Japan are quick to respond to changing needs
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: NH Dia (MM), QF-Plt, S-La GC Dia, Marriot Plt
Wow. That's pretty bad and I haven't seen it that bad before- I often fly into Narita on Saturday afternoons around 3pm and it's generally pretty light (terminal 1). The madness I have seen is when flying out on Sunday afternoon... typically outbound immigration gets a bit crazy after 4 o'clock. I'm curious if the OP meant you flew in on Saturday or Sunday.. could you clarify? Also, you are flying that much and not using the automated gates?

Last edited by Akihabara; Mar 28, 2016 at 7:57 am
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:08 am

NOOOOOOOO!

I'm arriving 11 Apr in the afternoon. Hopefully this was a fluke. Others flying in/out of NRT/HND can hopefully keep people up to date with the line situation...
Old Mar 28, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
We arrived Monday on the ANA flight from SFO and landed about 25 minutes early, so just before 3pm. We were lucky to be first off that plane as we got into the coral area and watched as the room behind us filled up. Crazy! It took us 40 minutes to get through that line but I think people way at the back were well over an hour. I couldn't see for sure but I think the line went back out of the room to where the travelators are located.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
How does ABTC work in a situation like this when lines in the terminal are themselves lines to the lines in the immigration lobby? Do you cut the initial lines and then grab the attention of the line-keepers?

Also were there long lines for Japanese residents?
Old Mar 28, 2016, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

To answer some of the questions - I arrived at 3pm on Sunday (a typical arrival for me) - lines were all the way back into the terminals - in fact there was a line in the terminal just to get into the line in immigration.... The japanese lines were empty - and being used for foreigners as overflow... The lines to leave baggage claim were insane as well - as were the lines to buy tickets for the bus... Was a crazy day - easily my worst ever arrival. Today I fly out of HND to PVG and then back on Friday - hope it's better by then!
Old Mar 28, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: NH Dia (MM), QF-Plt, S-La GC Dia, Marriot Plt
bmwe92fan, It sounds like you are not using the automated gates then (right?). For someone travelling as much as you I would highly recommend and there is the added bonus of your passport not filling up so quickly given no stamping.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Akihabara
bmwe92fan, It sounds like you are not using the automated gates then (right?). For someone travelling as much as you I would highly recommend and there is the added bonus of your passport not filling up so quickly given no stamping.
Yes- have been considering it - just have never needed it or bothered with it before as I am usually off the plane and on my bus to TCAT within 20 minutes... Fortunately I do get to use the e-gates and the EU citizen lines in the UK even as a US citizen - fantastic system just never considered it for Japan...

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Mar 28, 2016 at 6:14 pm
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:24 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Yes- have been considering it - just have never needed it or bothered with it before as I am usually off the plane and on my bus to TCAT within 20 minutes... Fortunately I do get to use the e-gates and the EU citizen lines in the UK even as a US citizen - fantastic system just never considered it for Japan...
I also highly recommend it -- it has saved my behind on numerous occasions.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by tide
How does ABTC work in a situation like this when lines in the terminal are themselves lines to the lines in the immigration lobby? Do you cut the initial lines and then grab the attention of the line-keepers?

Also were there long lines for Japanese residents?
Well, you're not cutting the initial lines, you're joining the correct line which is appropriate for you and your circumstances. If you get to a pinch point like at the back of the hall you just show the card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.