Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

MERS Outbreak - What's being said in South Korea?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MERS Outbreak - What's being said in South Korea?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:46 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Aventine
If you can re-route then by all means do so. When is your trip? Sooner or later?
July 13th night in Seoul at the moment..Just a night stop on my onward leg of the journey and currently booked into a hotel in the Incheon area..Incheon doesn't seem to be listing in terms of hospitals treating MERS patients...But was hoping to go into Seoul later that night...all plans of course are all up in the air now and need to take a call on it soon...
Old Jun 12, 2015, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by quarryking
July 13th night in Seoul at the moment..Just a night stop on my onward leg of the journey and currently booked into a hotel in the Incheon area..Incheon doesn't seem to be listing in terms of hospitals treating MERS patients...But was hoping to go into Seoul later that night...all plans of course are all up in the air now and need to take a call on it soon...

You could go into Seoul but getting back to Incheon could be a problem until morning? Do you have enough time? Might as well stay in Seoul if you want to be there for clubbing, eating, drinking, etc.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Silver
If there's not a pressing need to be in South Korea, I wouldn't come here either.
Well, I'm not sure if it's a pressing need, but I am getting married in north of Seoul while we are there...

Originally Posted by mosburger
- Always wash your hands with soap/sanitizer when there is an opportunity

- Avoid mass transport in the next few days until the incubation period of the virus from the last hospital outbreaks is over

- Avoid public spas and saunas for the same reason as their ventilation systems are often inadequate and possible infected visitors can transmit the virus through shared surfaces and door handles etc.

- Not sure about the necessity of face masks outside of hospitals but at least they might give some sense of security. More important, in my thinking, is not to touch eyes, nose, ears etc. unnecessarily and take care of personal hygiene by washing hands etc.

- Only eat well fried, grilled or boiled foods, no raw fish or meat until the worst spread of the virus is over
If my previous visit is anything to go by, staying with my family will mean we avoid most of what you've listed. Only the raw food that might be a problem..

I guess we just have to wait and see what happens until we get closer to our departure date, not leaving until the 20th of July.

Thanks to everyone for the updates in this thread!
Old Jun 13, 2015, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sitrus
Well, I'm not sure if it's a pressing need, but I am getting married in north of Seoul while we are there...

If my previous visit is anything to go by, staying with my family will mean we avoid most of what you've listed. Only the raw food that might be a problem..

I guess we just have to wait and see what happens until we get closer to our departure date, not leaving until the 20th of July.

Thanks to everyone for the updates in this thread!
Congratulations are in order. Hope it gets better and subsides before your big day.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: Eurobonus Silver
Congratulations are in order. Hope it gets better and subsides before your big day.
Thank you, already married, but missing the traditional korean part, so that's what we'll be doing. Will continue to watch this thread for any updates.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:19 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
First known case where someone under quarantine and even after being confirmed infected by MERS completely disobeyed authorities and even tried to spread the virus on purpose.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20150615000733

Unfortunately this also fits into some darker aspects of the Korean character, extreme stubbornness and a tendency towards anarchy.

Last edited by mosburger; Jun 15, 2015 at 1:47 am
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mosburger
First known case where someone under quarantine and even after being confirmed infected by MERS completely disobeyed authorities and even tried to spread the virus on purpose.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20150615000733

Unfortunately this also fits into some darker aspects of the Korean character, extreme stubbornness and a tendence towards anarchy.
There were also the cases where they showed a callous disregard for others in going golfing in rural Jeolla and attending a medical conference with 1500 other people. These individuals were supposed to observe a quarantine and the second one was a doctor from Samsung medical center.

In other grim news: http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/...daily|home|top

Shaken by the rising number of infections in its wards, Samsung Medical Center partially shut down operations Sunday in a desperate effort to stem the further spread of Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS).

Sunday’s measures, which will be in effect through June 24 at the least, was recognition that Samsung, one of the country’s largest and best hospitals, did not have proper procedures in place and was by far the largest source of MERS infections. With seven new confirmed cases in Korea reported Sunday, 66 people including two doctors, patients and their relatives have contracted the virus during a visit or stay at Samsung Medical Center in Seoul. Four out of seven reported Sunday were contracted at Samsung.

One patient alone, Patient No. 14, infected at least 60 people at Samsung. He is considered a “super-spreader.”

The total number of patients so far is 145 and there have been 15 deaths.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
There were also the cases where they showed a callous disregard for others in going golfing in rural Jeolla and attending a medical conference with 1500 other people. These individuals were supposed to observe a quarantine and the second one was a doctor from Samsung medical center.

In other grim news: http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/...daily|home|top
Strangely neither the US or UK are issuing any travel advisories pertaining to this as yet...???
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quarryking
Strangely neither the US or UK are issuing any travel advisories pertaining to this as yet...???
Hong Kong and Taiwan are alert red.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: Skyteam
This is blown out of proportion. You have higher chance of dying by choking on your food.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/...daily|home|top

More from the Korean rags.

Disquiet over Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS) deepened in Seoul Tuesday after it was revealed that an ill medical aide from Seoul’s Samsung Medical Center travelled widely around the city before he was quarantined Friday.

The central government has officially maintained that MERS infections were contained to medical facilities, but the Seoul Metropolitan Government conducted epidemiological studies on the 55-year-old aide and released the result on Tuesday.

Between the time he was infected and finally confirmed as a MERS patient last Friday, he used subways and visited crowded areas like a hair salon and a mall.

“Patient No. 137 used the subway between Seoul National University Station and Ilwon Station, transferring at Seoul National University of Education Station, for at least seven days [after exhibiting symptoms] including from June 5 to 8 when his condition worsened,” said Kim Chang-bo, the city government’s health authority. “We conducted sterilization of the mall and hair salon and isolated those who came in close contact with the patient at home.”
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Another stubborn MERS patient, despite having obvious symptoms, did not report to health autorities but kept on meeting family and colleagues as normal because he believed "to be able to control the disease".

Now his family are infected too and possibly several local government colleagues as well.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20150617000712

Due to this kind on behaviour the epidemic might linger in Korea for several months more than otherwise warranted,

Last edited by mosburger; Jun 17, 2015 at 1:47 am
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:48 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
I think that these people are being foolish and crazy, yes. But, remember, overall, MERS is no more dangerous than a bout of Influenza. I don't think it's going to kill a million or do severe damage because, well, the majority of people are healthy.

Personally, I think that worrying about this and continuing to discuss horror stories only makes it worse. Wearing masks aren't effective. Just keep clean, wash your hands and go about your life as it is. And don't go to a hospital. You'll be fine.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
I think that these people are being foolish and crazy, yes. But, remember, overall, MERS is no more dangerous than a bout of Influenza. I don't think it's going to kill a million or do severe damage because, well, the majority of people are healthy.

Personally, I think that worrying about this and continuing to discuss horror stories only makes it worse. Wearing masks aren't effective. Just keep clean, wash your hands and go about your life as it is. And don't go to a hospital. You'll be fine.
Wearing those flimsy paper masks don't help but N95 3M ones do.

Old Jun 18, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: A3 Silver, BA BLUE, IHG Gold, Hertz President's circle, AY plat
Anyone an idea or the DMZ is closed?

I'm next week in Korea and would like to visit it, but saw that some people on the tripadvisor forum say that all tours are cancelled, while others say that it's business as usual...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.