Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

MERS Outbreak - What's being said in South Korea?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MERS Outbreak - What's being said in South Korea?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: sad kettle
I also have travel booked later on this year that transits via Seoul both ways- and purposely factored in a overnight stays!
Family in Asia thinks it's better for me to rebook - the MERS coverage is greater and fearful than it is here in the US - but I'm still on the fence. I'm still on the fence since there's still plenty of time for this outbreak to be contained and die down, PLUS I already transferred and used a ton of UR points on Korean Air!

Ack, so conflicted I don't mind staying away from drinking camel's milk though!
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I think later this year will be fine Horchata.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:49 am
Original Poster

From the sounds of it, what we should be watching for is for the number of new infections to go down by the end of the week. Patient 0 infected a bunch of people at the hospitals he visited because he wasn't quickly diagnosed with MERS. And then apparently one of the initial persons infected by patient 0 infected another large group of people at the hospital(s) he/she visited. With a maximum incubation period of 2 weeks, the timeline is that those who were infected by the second person (and hopefully most of the secondarily infected) should be identified and cases should dwindle by the end of the week if they really have it under control. And hopefully things will be back to normal by July.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The latest from Korea.

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/...daily|home|top
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Great graphic. Thanks for sharing.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: Skyteam
I haven't read any articles but, sounds like it's caused by camel milk or meat.
I saw on Bizarre Food that it wasn't very good.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In Korea, it was caused by one or two people who went to the Middle East and came back with it. The camel here don't give milk or aren't eaten either. Purely zoo creatures.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: sad kettle
Originally Posted by Aventine
In Korea, it was caused by one or two people who went to the Middle East and came back with it. The camel here don't give milk or aren't eaten either. Purely zoo creatures.
Thanks for sharing the infographic!! I know I'm being somewhat paranoid haha....if anything I think I'll finally have an excuse to wear a Rillakuma face mask in public.

And was totally joking about the camels (my lame humor doesn't come across well) - I'm more of a soju kinda gal
Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by Horchata
Thanks for sharing the infographic!! I know I'm being somewhat paranoid haha....if anything I think I'll finally have an excuse to wear a Rillakuma face mask in public.

And was totally joking about the camels (my lame humor doesn't come across well) - I'm more of a soju kinda gal
Soju will definitely kill off any MERs virus.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Masks are normal here even without MERS. Wear it with confidence!

More kimchi too!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
- Always wash your hands with soap/sanitizer when there is an opportunity

- Avoid mass transport in the next few days until the incubation period of the virus from the last hospital outbreaks is over

- Avoid public spas and saunas for the same reason as their ventilation systems are often inadequate and possible infected visitors can transmit the virus through shared surfaces and door handles etc.

- Not sure about the necessity of face masks outside of hospitals but at least they might give some sense of security. More important, in my thinking, is not to touch eyes, nose, ears etc. unnecessarily and take care of personal hygiene by washing hands etc.

- Only eat well fried, grilled or boiled foods, no raw fish or meat until the worst spread of the virus is over
Old Jun 11, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mosburger
-
- Avoid public spas and saunas for the same reason as their ventilation systems are often inadequate and possible infected visitors can transmit the virus through shared surfaces and door handles etc.
Not to mention these are not the cleanest places at the best of times.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://mengnews.joins.com/view.aspx?aId=3005306

They fully sealed off two hospitals yesterday.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
I also have travel booked later on this year that transits via Seoul both ways- and purposely factored in a overnight stays!
Family in Asia thinks it's better for me to rebook - the MERS coverage is greater and fearful than it is here in the US - but I'm still on the fence. I'm still on the fence since there's still plenty of time for this outbreak to be contained and die down, PLUS I already transferred and used a ton of UR points on Korean Air!

Ack, so conflicted I don't mind staying away from drinking camel's milk though!
Similar itinerary as you, with an overnight stop in ICN on my way out.. In a bit of a quandary as to whether i leave the plans as it is or re-route...!!
Looks like a few Asian carriers have scaled back their flights to ICN also...not sure if it's related to this...??
Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quarryking
Similar itinerary as you, with an overnight stop in ICN on my way out.. In a bit of a quandary as to whether i leave the plans as it is or re-route...!!
Looks like a few Asian carriers have scaled back their flights to ICN also...not sure if it's related to this...??
If you can re-route then by all means do so. When is your trip? Sooner or later?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.