S. Korea - Prepaid 3G data+voice SIM?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

S. Korea - Prepaid 3G data+voice SIM?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
The SIM comes with 20,000 won for voice calls. If you want data, you choose one of the data packages that get subtracted from the 20,000 won.

If you buy online, you can partition that data in advance so when you pick up your card, it's already done and ready to use.
Old May 11, 2014, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by abraxis
The SIM comes with 20,000 won for voice calls. If you want data, you choose one of the data packages that get subtracted from the 20,000 won.

If you buy online, you can partition that data in advance so when you pick up your card, it's already done and ready to use.
Ah I see - it just gets taken away from the 20k wan amount. Got it.

How does return of this work, as the website makes it look like you need to mail to back on your own? Can you return it at the pickup spot?
Old May 11, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: Auto shop by CHO Frequent Oil Changer; Kayak Incognito Mode Platinum
Originally Posted by mojo2121
How does return of this work, as the website makes it look like you need to mail to back on your own? Can you return it at the pickup spot?
You don't have to return it. They offer a way to return the SIM for legal reasons, but it gets you no refund, and there's no penalty for keeping your SIM. Mine is sitting on my desk here in Virginia as I type.
Old May 15, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by VT_hawkeye
You don't have to return it. They offer a way to return the SIM for legal reasons, but it gets you no refund, and there's no penalty for keeping your SIM. Mine is sitting on my desk here in Virginia as I type.
Please be advised that your IMEI will be blacklisted if you just keep the SIM card. You'll need to cancel the prepaid service when you return to Korea to use your phone with another prepaid SIM. Otherwise, your phone won't work with Korean SIM in Korea. I know, this doesn't make any sense, but that's how it is in Korea.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: Garuda, SQ KF, Le Club, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors
Anyone knows if EG offers 4G LTE networks?
Also, as I'm arriving late at ICN, any ideas on how to efficiently collect the card (the site says that ICN shop closes at 7pm, my flight lands at 10:30pm)
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:14 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
You'd have to collect it at one of these places.

http://www.egsimcard.co.kr/eng/buy-e...to-collect.asp

I've never used this service, so don't know any other details, sorry.

I always recommend visitors get a KT Olleh Wifi Egg while they're here. It's 8,000W per day with a 200,000W refundable security deposit. 4G data, works everywhere, and you can share with everyone in your group. If you show your Korean Air boarding pass, you get a discount. My father just did.

Unfortunately, the KT Olleh pick up counter closes at 10 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:16 pm

Personally, I think a SIM card is worthless if you just need data (wifi egg is unlimited, works for more people, better value). If you really need to call someone, use Skype/messaging app. If you really need to call someone for business in Korea, your company should have paid for that haha.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:58 pm

I think my tmobile simple choice plan allows free roaming and texting in Seoul. no data charge but slow and Calls are 20 cents . I am taking my phone there
Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:15 am

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Yes, your t-mo simple choice will work in Korea... the data speeds will be very slow near the airport (google maps was pretty much unusable), but once you get into the city, it does the job. If I would just remember to refresh Google Maps and the various zoom levels before I left the airport....

Last edited by Starblazer; Feb 28, 2015 at 1:23 am
Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:00 pm

Just returned from Seoul, and I used an Olleh Egg plus my T-Mobile Simple Choice plan.

I was able to get the Egg for 5,500 Won/day for 14 days. I'm still confused regarding how that worked out; the KT page quotes the 8,000 Won/day rate, and describes a discount for long-term rental which I won't pretend to understand. In any case, we found the Egg worked pretty well for us.

I did make a reservation for the Egg, but I'm not sure it delivered any benefit. They never emailed me a confirmation or quoted me a price, and though I kept a PDF of the submission, I forgot to email it to myself, however, so it was back home on my desktop HDD when I needed it. When I picked up the Egg at ICN, I filled out paperwork and was quoted the 5,500 Won/day price without the benefit of the reservation. It was only after I had completed the transaction that the clerk indicated she'd found my reservation, and it apparently changed nothing.

Regarding the T-Mobile roaming, as others have indicated, I found it worked well for me. My son had not updated his iPhone's carrier settings, so we believe that's why he wasn't able to roam there.

Upon landing, I got a text message which read:

Free T-Mobile Msg: Welcome to South Korea. Unlimited text incl with your global coverage. Talk $0.20/min. More info http://t-mo.co/tc
Free T-Mobile Msg: Unlimited web included as part of your global coverage. To purchase high speed data please visit: http://t-mo.co/4G-Data
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:00 am

EG SIM card is readily available from any GS25 convenient store. At first I thought it is only available at the airport. However, when I was at a few GS25 stores in the city and saw that all of them sell EG SIM card.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:08 am

Search EG simcard, they are available at the airport for pickup, i dont know what everyone is talking about with the no prepaid sims, as every company literally has one.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:43 am

The problem is activation and set up. And not all GS have them, just most of them in the tourist areas.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
The problem is activation and set up. And not all GS have them, just most of them in the tourist areas.
If I order and EG SIM for pickup Friday at the airport will it be able to be activated right away?

I've got a flight on Thur and arriving Fri.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 7:25 am

somewhat related question...I am on TMO with a Note 4 - had it with me when in Manila/Tokyo/Seoul (in transit) back in January 2014. I have their "unlimited data plan" which when outside the USA/4G LTE, it dropps to 3G.

Worked like a charm in Japan, while in transit in Seoul it was good to...but Manila....psh, dialup is faster (not). Are the main/big cities atleast 3G in Korea as I'll have that Note 4 with me when I (hope to) travel to Seoul w/a friend in July next year....

TIA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.