Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Support Desk and Website for EU-claims

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2007, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by frankvb
Actually what you are saying is that at the moment the air fares are too low to allow the EU compensation to take place. If that is the case, I see no other option than for the airlines to increase the fares in order to cover that. Nothing wrong with that as far as I can tell.
The problem is if fares rise significantly then we start losing passengers which could mean service cuts, etc.
On the other hand I agree that those 'no cure/no pay' agencies do have serious downsides, e.g. they are usually not there to help the customer but to help themselves in the first place. So they don't take on cases which may be winnable but would incur too much costs.

BTW: (no offence meant) why is it ok for you (and other knowledgeable people) to claim compensation, but not for everyone?
Basically I believe that if everyone claimed compensation then it would result in increased fares, but then again it may also result in improved reliability too because they'd have a more financial incentive to run a reliable service. However, the way I said the message could have been worded better. Airline passengers should be informed of their rights in the event of a delay and it should be up to them whether they're bothered to claim the legal compensation.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 1:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM
Another novel idea: the airlines could actually improve the reliability of their operations so that they not only avoid paying compensation but also avoid pissing off their customers by weasling out of their contractual commitments.
Now why didn't I think of this novel idea, actually improving service Just indicates my trust in airlines keeping commitments in general I suppose.....
Old Feb 6, 2007, 3:05 pm

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
Personally I think the only regulation that airlines should face is that if a flight is severely delayed or cancelled you can get a full refund. Above that the level of compensation offered by an airline should be one of their own commercial policies, then airlines can then compete on the level of compensation they offer their customers when things go wrong.

Some people would rather pay for a bottom of the line fare and forego compensation and others would rather pay more money and get reliability and reimbursement when things go wrong. Personally I'd go for the reliability any day, but people fly FR and U2 and they'd probably be happier with a cheaper fare, if getting constant compo claims from these companies puts the LCC's out of the picture then a lot of people won't be able to fly.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 1:58 am
Suspended

a degree of honesty would help soften the blow to KLM
Old Feb 9, 2007, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M, BA Executive Club, Sofitel Plat, Priority Club, Starwood Preferred Guest
Travellers are entitled to a reliable service, that is the bottom line and that is why the EU regulations were enforced in the first place.
Of course certain things cannot be planned but these days some carriers are so tight with their aircraft deployment that one substantial delay can cause a ripple effect throughout the whole network and effect thousands of passengers.

I don't see anything wrong with a company that assists passengers in claiming their compensation although one could argue if 27% is a fair proposition.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Dutch multinational Philips has announced that they are negotiating with EUclaims to pursue claims on behalf of Philips' employees. Philips says the company loses €26 million every year due to airline delays and cancelations, and that airlines are very reluctant to pay compensation.

Source : Luchtvaartnieuws.nl

Johan
Old Mar 6, 2007, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by johan rebel
The Dutch multinational Philips has announced that they are negotiating with EUclaims to pursue claims on behalf of Philips' employees. Philips says the company loses €26 million every year due to airline delays and cancelations, and that airlines are very reluctant to pay compensation.

Source : Luchtvaartnieuws.nl

Johan
I'd have thought they could do this inhouse for cheaper than the fees this company is charging.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by layz
I'd have thought they could do this inhouse for cheaper than the fees this company is charging.
You obviously have no experience working in or with the Philips organisation. Remember, this is the bloated company that has let every major technological breakthrough they ever made slip through their fingers to be successfully exploited by the competition. Why would they be better at expense and claim management?
Old Mar 7, 2007, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM
Another novel idea: the airlines could actually improve the reliability of their operations so that they not only avoid paying compensation but also avoid pissing off their customers by weasling out of their contractual commitments.
The airline who doesn't screw up gets to keep ther customers and keep them happy. The airline that does screw up pays fines in the short term and a loss of market position in the longer term as their costs increase, profits decrease and their customers become less loyal.
What a strange idea! Next thing you'll be telling us that airlines are run for the convenience of the passengers...

Give me your address and I'll send the boys with the long white coats around
Old Jun 7, 2007, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to Luchtvaartnieuws Dutch travel agent D-Reizen will provide free assistance to clients who wish to file a claim. D-Reizen will cooperate closely with EUclaim. The latter say that 30% of successful claims handled by them were initially rejected by the airlines.

Johan
Old Aug 20, 2007, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to an article in Dutch newspaper AD, EUClaim has handled some 15,000 claims so far, with a success rate of 60%. They will be opening offices in the UK, Ireland and Germany before the end of the year.

Johan
Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
According to an article in Dutch newspaper AD, EUClaim has handled some 15,000 claims so far, with a success rate of 60%.
I think that article talked about a subset of claimants, during the last 2 months. It was rather confusing.

There was another article, printed in both AD and Telegraaf, that says that since the inception in February 30,000 claims have been filed, the success rate is 1 in 8, and the average pay-out is €445.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 12:36 pm

Does anyone know whether there is a statute of limitations within which a claim must be filed, and if so how long it is? I looked at the EU regulation and couldn't find one.

The reason I ask involves a cancelled flight back in April.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 12:46 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Counsellor
Does anyone know whether there is a statute of limitations within which a claim must be filed, and if so how long it is? I looked at the EU regulation and couldn't find one.
That's because there isn't one.

On the flip side, there is also no specific deadline for the airline paying-out the compensation ...
Old Sep 11, 2007, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to Luchtvaartnieuws.nl EUclaim will take BA, Easyjet and Ryanair to court for refusing to reveal the exact reasons for delays for which they have refused to compensate passengers.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.