Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When does the award availability "increase"?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2004, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Question When does the award availability "increase"?

How far in advance do you typically see the award availability increase?

I am trying to book a Jan/Feb 2005 KLM flight to Africa from the US in World Business Class (C) using OnePass miles. This is not a peak season, so significant award availibility should eventually show. Award availibility is there, but is very slim and with poor connections. After speaking with someone at OnePass, they said the availability looks uncharacteristically low, but he couldn't indicate when the availability would increase.

So I ask those who have been in this same situation -- how many months prior to a non-peak season do you typically see availability increase on KLM flights?
Old Apr 26, 2004, 3:30 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
depends...

Depends on where you want to go. I'd consider December through March peak season when it comes to travel to/from South Africa.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 9:45 am
Suspended

If I remember correctly "High Season" in Southern Africa starts towards the end of November and last until end of March / early April.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Going to SSG

Actually, I'm headed to SSG (Malabo, Equitorial Guinea). Given the small number of tourists, it is hard to believe that place would ever have a 'high season'...
Old May 5, 2004, 2:52 am
Suspended

KLM launched scheduled services to Malabo in Equatorial Guinea and Douala in Cameroon in July 2003. The service, Amsterdam - Malabo - Douala - Malabo - Amsterdam, is operated twice weekly, on Wednesdays and Fridays, with Boeing 767-300ER equipment.

Both of these West African cities are key business destinations in the region, where the economy has grown sharply over the past few years due to the local oil industry.

KLM isn't the only carrier to have recently introduced new services or increased frequencies to Malabo so the demand for flights must be high. No wonder then that you may be experiencing problems in securing any awards seats. Before you maybe get excited and consider requesting a reward tickert on Air France... you won't be able to as there are no award seats available on the Malabo route because it's a "Dedicate" product.

Air France flights to Malabo are served with Air France's A319 "Dedicate" aircraft. Air France have invested in a new fleet of A319 aircraft which, have two additional fuel tanks, can fly up to 6500km non-stop. The aircraft is fitted with an 82 seat, two-cabin configuration and the comfort of a long-haul aircraft.

Flytertalk doesn't allow you to post any photos to threads so I've posted information and Dedicate cabin layout plan on the
KLM Passenger Forum.
Old May 5, 2004, 8:25 am
Suspended

At the press conference today it was announced that wherever Air France and KLM offer less than 6 or 7 weekly flights or flights with stopovers, these flights will be rationalized and upgraded in order to offer customers daily non-stop service. So there'll definitely be changes to this route - you may very well see KL drop this route in the coming months and AF will operate it on a daily basis with the A319 Dedicate.

Last edited by criscokid; May 5, 2004 at 8:29 am
Old May 5, 2004, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by criscokid
KLM launched scheduled services to Malabo in Equatorial Guinea and Douala in Cameroon in July 2003.
The launch was not exactly trouble free. KL decided not to bribe the people who mattered, with the result that various attempts where made to make things very difficult for the first aircraft that landed at Malabo. Its path was blocked with vehicles, the (un)loading of luggage was hindered etc. Hopefully things are running more smoothly now.

Originally Posted by criscokid
Both of these West African cities are key business destinations in the region, where the economy has grown sharply over the past few years due to the local oil industry.
Given Air France's focus on low frequency/high yield oil industry destinations (they even have a "Petroleum Club" for oil industry professionals), I suspect they will take over most of KL's flights to such destinations in due course.

johan

johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.