Wiki Posts
Search

Antwerp (ZWE) digital boarding card/train ticket

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2023, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver/KL Silver/SQ Silver/AZ Premium
Question Antwerp (ZWE) digital boarding card/train ticket

Has anyone recently been travelling between Antwerp (ZWE) and AMS with the Eurostar (former Thalys)? I'm asking because I see on the KLM website that you don't have to collect a ticket anymore at ZWE but you can check in online and get your train ticket and boarding pass(es) (https://campaigns.klm.be/en/travel-b...ssels-schiphol).

Doest this mean you don't have to travel to Antwerp anymore (at your own risk, I understand)? Or do you still have to collect a stamp in the train? If there is still the need to collect a stamp, what would stop me from entering the train in Rotterdam and ask for a stamp then?
Old Nov 3, 2023, 3:59 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
Originally Posted by williamvdh
Has anyone recently been travelling between Antwerp (ZWE) and AMS with the Eurostar (former Thalys)? I'm asking because I see on the KLM website that you don't have to collect a ticket anymore at ZWE but you can check in online and get your train ticket and boarding pass(es) (https://campaigns.klm.be/en/travel-b...ssels-schiphol).

Doest this mean you don't have to travel to Antwerp anymore (at your own risk, I understand)? Or do you still have to collect a stamp in the train? If there is still the need to collect a stamp, what would stop me from entering the train in Rotterdam and ask for a stamp then?
I assume this change has to do with Thalys moving to Eurostar IT systems. It would not surprise me if Eurostar's systems are a bit more sophisticated and track whether train tickets have been scanned at railway gates or in the train.

I once had a discussion with a check-in agent at AMS about whether I took the Thalys or not and I can tell you one thing, those are not a good start of your flights. Super annoying and it's extremely hard to proof you're right in some cases. My ticket at the time had not been stamped by a train supervisor. I didn't even see a train supevisor on board. I recalled taking some pictures in the train, which I've showed, and I could show the time I received the "welcome in the Netherlands" SMS from my phone provider which corresponded with the time the train entered NL. Super super annoying discussions and you can't just accept and get your boarding pass, because the new fare they wanted to charge me was over 900 euro's extra (basically a new flight ticket issued on the spot).
Old Nov 3, 2023, 4:46 am

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
Interessting, altough untill someone tries it and it gets confirmed a couple of times I'm not trying it out.

A flixbus to antwerp is 6 euro's and takes 2 hours...
atflyer likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by arjen05
I once had a discussion with a check-in agent at AMS about whether I took the Thalys or not.
Wow, that story is what I am always thinking about and fearing on these trains. Having to debate on the veracity of something you complied with, with anyone because of flaws in the transporter's own process is unacceptable and ridiculous.
Verboten likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 10:33 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
I once had a discussion with a check-in agent at AMS about whether I took the Thalys or not and I can tell you one thing, those are not a good start of your flights.
Incredible. With a physical ticket on your hand, they were still doubting your word?

Any idea what triggered the suspicion in the first place?
Old Nov 4, 2023, 4:14 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
Originally Posted by maalloc
Incredible. With a physical ticket on your hand, they were still doubting your word?

Any idea what triggered the suspicion in the first place?
The official printed train ticket shows some T&C on the ticket itself, and the first one is:

"To avoid any problems at the airport check-in, make sure that your ticket has been validated by the Train Manager when you have a connecting flight"

And my ticket was not stamped. The rule is not hidden somewhere small, it is printed on the ticket right under the train and seat number. Impossible to miss, so the ticket I showed them was at the same time the proof I didn't comply with their rules.

Obviously when it was clear that I took the train, there were no further issues.
jerry_greece, atflyer and maalloc like this.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 1:51 am

The flight schedule from AMS seems to be posted for up to october but availability from ANR after march is not. Anyone know when availability for tickets with trains from brussels midi and/or zwe after 18th of march coming?

Would love go get myself to hold one of those digital boarding cards for the (Thalys) eurostar leg.
LH757 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 7:04 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
"To avoid any problems at the airport check-in, make sure that your ticket has been validated by the Train Manager when you have a connecting flight
I'm guessing that with an E-Ticket this no longer applies as there is nothing to stamp/validate physically. The one thing they do, potentially, gain is the ability to check if the e-ticket was scanned anywhere (Boarding, or during ticket inspection). Question is if they offer that kind of integration.

So whenever the first reports come on from people traveling on an eticket we'll know if not picking up the ticket anywhere, and potentially not having it scanned on board, is enough to keep the itinerary alive. The big question is what happens if you don't scan the eticket during boarding at one of the station gates (Presumably). I'm guessing we won't find out until somebody actually tries (Risking losing the rest of the ticket).
Old Nov 14, 2023, 2:54 pm

Programs: AF/KL PLAT
Well. I took the ZWE-AMS train coded KL212 yesterday, so let me share the experience.
New procedure indeed. I was able to get a digital boarding card for this Eurostar leg. It looks exactly like a normal flight boarding pass, but mentions the Eurostar carriage # and seat # - and mentions explicitly to hold on to your luggage.
I did not have to go to the railway station ticket counter anymore like we had to do before (I had to do that as recently as Oct 10 - not sure when they changed over). There was still with a glitch in the procedure for getting the boarding card through the KLM mobile app - but I was able to get it OK through the website.
The Train Manager was very diligent about checking the tickets for the KL passengers. He did not scan though, but put the traditional 'round stamp' on the paper ticket. So no electronic validation (the Antwerp railway station also does not have any electronic gate where you could scan).
At Schiphol luggage drop / checkin this was not really checked though - but I would not take that as a data point as I can imagine I am not raising any suspicion as a Belgian citizen with an Antwerp home address. It might be different for someone with a Dutch passport.
Would love to hear others experiences on this new process.
irishguy28, arjen05 and DL116 like this.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 7:53 pm

Programs: KL-AF FB Elite Plus, LH M&M, BA, SQ, HHonors, etc.
<double post>

Last edited by LH757; Nov 14, 2023 at 8:16 pm
Old Nov 14, 2023, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by lpjanssen
Well. I took the ZWE-AMS train coded KL212 yesterday, so let me share the experience.
New procedure indeed. I was able to get a digital boarding card for this Eurostar leg. It looks exactly like a normal flight boarding pass, but mentions the Eurostar carriage # and seat # - and mentions explicitly to hold on to your luggage.
I did not have to go to the railway station ticket counter anymore like we had to do before (I had to do that as recently as Oct 10 - not sure when they changed over). There was still with a glitch in the procedure for getting the boarding card through the KLM mobile app - but I was able to get it OK through the website.
The Train Manager was very diligent about checking the tickets for the KL passengers. He did not scan though, but put the traditional 'round stamp' on the paper ticket. So no electronic validation (the Antwerp railway station also does not have any electronic gate where you could scan).
At Schiphol luggage drop / checkin this was not really checked though - but I would not take that as a data point as I can imagine I am not raising any suspicion as a Belgian citizen with an Antwerp home address. It might be different for someone with a Dutch passport.
Nice to read first hand experiences.
For the way back to Belgium did you visit Schiphol NS ticket office to collect train ticket or were able download during online chk.in / did KL credit XP? Many thx.
KL895 and atflyer like this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by lpjanssen
If you had a digital boarding pass, what did the train manager stamp?
jerry_greece, LH757, KL895 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 5:43 am

As the way things are with NS, Thalys (aka Eurostar), what happens to your onward ticket validity when train is disrupted at last moment and pax travels via alternative mode or boards train from elsewhere?

Last edited by LH757; Nov 15, 2023 at 7:26 am
Old Nov 19, 2023, 4:52 am

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Originally Posted by LH757
As the way things are with NS, Thalys (aka Eurostar), what happens to your onward ticket validity when train is disrupted at last moment and pax travels via alternative mode or boards train from elsewhere?
I had my Thalys leave me in Rotterdam. I called KL and they confirmed with the Thalys ticket, I could get any other NS train to go to Schiphol. Unfortunately no sprinters for the same reason the Thalys couldn't continue past Rotterdam, so took me a good hour to get from Rotterdam to Schiphol.

I missed my connecting flight and KL rebooked me (as they should) on the next one out.
irishguy28 and Digicola like this.
Old Nov 19, 2023, 6:11 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Today? HSL is closed and ICD are taking the detour via The Hague, but with a limited service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.