Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

How strict is KLM with carryon weight/size and bag storage at AMS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2023, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Hi, my friend is flying economy IAD-AMS-PEK and has a long layover in AMS.

Does KLM check in or gate staff check the weight of the carry on and personal item (allowance is 12kg)? If she left Schiphol for a few hours, would Schiphol security check the weight or size of her carry on?

Also, any convenient recommendations for a locker or facility to store a carry on at or near the airport while my friend goes into the city?

Thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2023, 7:42 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
[QUOTE=fallinasleep;35515380]Hi, my friend is flying economy IAD-AMS-PEK and has a long layover in AMS.

Originally Posted by fallinasleep
Does KLM check in or gate staff check the weight of the carry on and personal item (allowance is 12kg)?!
Yes, if they see its too heavy or if overhead bins are full , so they might check her luggage

If she left Schiphol for a few hours, would Schiphol security check the weight or size of her carry on?!
Its not the business of airport security but airline only

Also, any convenient recommendations for a locker or facility to store a carry on at or near the airport while my friend goes into the city?!
Yes , there is a luggage storage service , i believe floor -1 , right after arrivals exit , it cost few euros per hour and you pay when you retrieve your luggage , beware this service is not working 24/7 as far as i know
fallinasleep likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 8:21 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Yes , there is a luggage storage service , i believe floor -1 , right after arrivals exit , it cost few euros per hour and you pay when you retrieve your luggage , beware this service is not working 24/7 as far as i know
You pay per 24 hours, and they are open 24/7.
fallinasleep likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 11:45 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
I have never seen KLM weighting hand luggage. They may gate check for free if it is obvious that luggage bins are full. Although most of the time I see them accepting everything followed by a frantic and time-consuming improvisation of crew to have it all stowed somewhere (e.g. a trolley of someone in row 18 ends up in a bin in business class). And obviously they prevent trolleys with too big dimensions to be boarded (and that will cost).

Last edited by atflyer; Aug 21, 2023 at 11:51 pm
Old Aug 22, 2023, 1:07 am

Programs: AF-KLM
Never had any issues, and frequently fly with a slightly too large rimowa cabin case.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 3:22 am

Programs: FB Plat, BA Bronze, Hotels.com
Quite a few lockers around AMS for self luggage store.

Recently used lockers in non-Shengen area. It was the ones on Holland Boulevard, between the Crown Lounge and Kebaya, located behind the stepped seating area (hopefully a helpful description!!)

Think it's was about €8 for the day.

Lockers large enough for any hand luggage you are likely to have.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 10:35 am

Programs: FB
In addition, airside in the Schengen area, there's lockers underneath the staircase/escalator to Schenghen D gates. They all work quite well. I've seen scales at the gates in Schiphol, but haven't seen them in use. Probably a good idea to make sure that your heavy bag is not big.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.