Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leveraging status/Privium to manage AMS security queues

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2022 | 4:14 am
Original Poster

Leveraging status/Privium to manage AMS security queues

Conscious that there are multiple scattered threads on this already, but I wanted to summarise my experience flying from AMS over the past weeks to get your views on whether I might be missing out on some efficiencies.

My general observation is that the queues have become much worse over the last few days. I havent had to queue outside but that queue is always there irrespective of departure time.

I have Privium access - staff in Departures 2 recognises the card and will assist with accessing the dedicated gate to the escalators. The problem is that youre then often mixed with the general queue - you need to fight your way through the crowd as you go up the escalators, then proactively approach staff on level 2, who will let you into the priority queue.

My partner isnt eligible for Privium and the staff will not allow you to bring a guest. However, they seem to recognise BA gold and silver status, even if the boarding pass doesnt state priority on it. Is this normal or did we get lucky?

Yesterday, I flew KLM business. I was scrutinised prior to entering the deserted SkyPriority check-in area (as so often, staff only seems to check younger passengers), and took the dedicated priority escalator per advice from this forum. I asked if they would allow access through Privium and the agent had no idea what I was talking about.

Once upstairs, I scanned my boarding pass and found myself in the longest priority queue Ive seen so so far (~40min). The worrying part was that post gate, there were 2 members of staff double checking pax flight information. They appeared to be turning away pax who got there thanks to their status but were flying economy. This is my primary concern and Id like to hear re your experience.

Bottom line - is it best to avoid using the SkyPriority escalator and instead use the general entrance? Are AMS staff really this familiar with BA status, and does it rightfully give you access to priority security? And if so, was it correct for the staff to deny SkyTeam status pax flying economy access to the priority queue? Privium appears to be the best solution, however its a no-go for my partner due to nationality.
Old Jun 21, 2022 | 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See my very recent post in the Mess thread about my Privium experience this morning.

Johan
Old Jun 21, 2022 | 9:22 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by dubistokay
Are AMS staff really this familiar with BA status, and does it rightfully give you access to priority security?
According to this thread BA Silver/Gold or Business gives prio.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.