Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:06 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Note that snowfall is the last graph shown. The first one is total precipitation including snow and rain.

Anyway the chance of snow is up again across the whole week, and virtually guaranteed on Monday. I'm very happy that I decided to fly on Sunday and not Monday...
Old Jan 15, 2024, 5:38 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
So, I received a reply from one of Marjan Rintel's aide about my claim (they were actually quite fast to respond, but I left it pending for a few weeks because I'm busy)

There's a long tirade about why my delay is not compensated by EC/261. I will copy it below. I am still NOT 100% convinced that I wouldn't win if I took it all the way to MCOL/SCC, but not sure if I want to be bothered to be honest...
Flights at Schiphol Airport were regrettably disrupted due to air traffic flow restrictions caused by adverse weather. This was reported in the media:

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/messages/...due-to-weather

All flight plans are tracked by a central flow management unit (CFMU). The flight departs according to a slot which is a period of time within which take-off has to take place.

If a slot is missed as here, the airline must wait for the CFMU to assign a new one. The slot and any revisions are communicated to the aircraft operator as well as the air traffic control unit at the departure airport.

As the cause of the delay to your flight could not have been prevented by any reasonable measures at our disposal, the circumstances should be regarded as extraordinary under the terms of the EU261 legislation you refer to, which relieves the airline of its obligation to pay the compensation you seek.
They did pay my expense claim already, but truncated, and still without providing a breakdown to explain what they are paying for and what not so I'll need to calculate it all myself and reply.

However they said that claims for alcoholic beverages would not be honored, which I'm a bit surprised as it's a first for me.

I must decline expenses relating to alcoholic beverages as this is not within the rights of what would be permitted under EU regulations.
For info I had 3 alcoholic beverages on claim, which doesn't seem that unreasonable... 2 while waiting for my 4hr delayed airplane, alongside a sandwich (Lounge had been closed prematurely). And one at 1AM at the hotel, alongside my delivered pizza. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all...

They've always been paid for before so is this something new? KL been taken over by Calvinists? Or is it just because they're on separate receipts that is the problem?

I also received a commercial gesture of 60 for my troubles, which to be honest is more than I expected so I'm happy enough with that.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 6:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
The advice on the BA board is always that they wont reimburse alcohol. Im not aware of it being in the regulation text, but maybe its from a ruling over the years.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 6:41 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Disgusting penny pinchers... I had LH reimburse alcohol (with the meal) without any questions asked.

I can see why, mind, encouraging healthy habits and all that, but a bit hypocritical considering the self-serve heineken at their lounges. But I'll know better not to mention that lest they also take that away

The commercial gesture will more than cover the cost of those 3 pints.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 6:57 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Looks like the snow didn't come, despite KNMI insistence it will.

KL is currently warning of delays due to deicing capacity though.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Looks like the snow didn't come, despite KNMI insistence it will.

KL is currently warning of delays due to deicing capacity though.
Sitting at home in Amsterdam there was definitely some snow in the morning, going down for 2 minutes and dissipating 2 minutes later, rinse and repeat few times with the sun shining in between.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:27 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
It wasn't looking too bad when I passed through this morning, but after my connection was shortened from 65 to 20 minutes by the inbound delay, I wasn't hanging around to evaluate the weather.

The wheels seem to have come off the wagon as the day has progressed with many hours-long delays and plenty cancellations. As always when deicing is required.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 11:45 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Disgusting penny pinchers... I had LH reimburse alcohol (with the meal) without any questions asked.

I can see why, mind, encouraging healthy habits and all that, but a bit hypocritical considering the self-serve heineken at their lounges. But I'll know better not to mention that lest they also take that away

The commercial gesture will more than cover the cost of those 3 pints.
+1, but then KLM. I had a forced overnight stay near LCY, booked hotel and meal (including 2 wines) myself, and it was paid. But yes, show me the sentence in EU261 that paying a reasonable amount of drinks, alcholic or not, is excluded for EU261 when it concerns alchol ;-)
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:22 pm

Programs: FB Plat
There's a couple of cm of snow on the ground this morning and it would appear to be sticking around for now.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 7:12 am

KLM is canceling ALL flights tomorrow.
Can't believe what I am seeing in Flightradar24, all KL is canceled.
It will be a shitshow.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 7:44 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
I don't know where you're looking but https://www.schiphol.nl/en/departure...ate=2024-01-17 shows no such thing.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by mfkne
I don't know where you're looking but https://www.schiphol.nl/en/departure...ate=2024-01-17 shows no such thing.
"KLM is canceling ALL flights tomorrow.
It will be a shitshow."
Old Jan 16, 2024, 8:19 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, Vistara Gold, Accor/IHG Platinum, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mfkne
Originally Posted by BobTL
"KLM is canceling ALL flights tomorrow.
It will be a shitshow."
So I have also had notifications about my flights on 17.01 and 18.01 being cancelled. The notifications came across on almost every platform that I get flight information from.

I did call the Ulti team and they checked a few places but couldn't find any information about cancellations either. So right now.... \_(ツ)_/
Old Jan 16, 2024, 8:59 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
A few cancellations notwithstanding, https://www.klm.nl/en/flight-status/...irportCode=AMS shows normal operations tomorrow. I guess FR24's data feed is broken.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 9:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Nothing more than a handful of cancellations in the Schiphol app for tomorrow, so that extra doesn't pass the smell test.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.