Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2022, 5:45 am

The queue outside is the non-priority security line.

You arrive at the terminal, and head straight for the SP check-in area. If you don't need a check-in desk you just walk behind it and go upstairs to security through the small stairs that Johan has posted pictures multiple times of.
jerry_greece and FlyingRVS like this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 5:50 am
yno

Programs: FB, Accor, Marriot
Originally Posted by malmostoso
Yes. You can try and see if it's a quiet day and the access is not guarded, but make sure to have a plan B if you're at the airport late.
indeed, have your plan B ready... and I agree that in the past it could work, but not always. Now with the crowds they have taken a strict approach
Old Sep 12, 2022, 5:54 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by malmostoso
The queue outside is the non-priority security line.

You arrive at the terminal, and head straight for the SP check-in area. If you don't need a check-in desk you just walk behind it and go upstairs to security through the small stairs that Johan has posted pictures multiple times of.
Thank you malmostoso ! That's a relief for sure.
malmostoso likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 6:33 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by erik123
Just print out your boarding pass twice for show and tell. They don't seem to check very carefully.
Erik, to be sure I understand you correctly: are you suggesting I print my own boarding card (which has the Sky Priority logo on it) twice, and let my wife use one to bypass the person who's checking for SP logo? Interesting approach..

Thanks !
FlyingRVS
Old Sep 12, 2022, 6:39 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Angry T3 departures

Just in from Dutch news:
https://nos.nl/artikel/2444325-weer-...n-te-annuleren
https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieu...n-te-annuleren

source:
Schiphol heeft vanwege drukte aan meerdere luchtvaartmaatschappijen gevraagd om vluchten tussen 16.00 en 23.00 uur te annuleren. Het gaat om vluchten die vertrekken vanuit hal 3, zegt de luchthaven in een persbericht. Vanuit die hal vertrekken onder meer Corendon, Surinam Airways en Turkish Airlines.

and

Hij legt uit dat er beveiligingspersoneel wordt besteld aan de hand van het verwachte aantal reizigers. Vandaag is er sprake van 'onderlevering', zegt de woordvoerder. Er zijn dus minder beveiligers dan besteld.

English:
Amsterdam airport requests airlines that depart from T3 to cancel flights between 16.00 - 23.00 H due to busy departure terminal because of less security staff . Security is deployed in unison with estimate amount of departing passengers and the hiccup was less security staff possible to cope with expected passenger flow.

Sigh....
And the Autumn-Holiday weeks (School Herfstvakanties) hav'nt even started......
(that'll be 2 weeks of unexpected random hiccups)
boss315 likes this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Sep 12, 2022 at 7:37 am
Old Sep 12, 2022, 8:59 am

Absolute chaos today.

Schipol website said a "busy" day. Changed to "peak" day at arond 11am.
Our airline (Easyjet) said to arrive 3 hours before. We arrived 3.5 hour sbefore.

Waiting in the non-schengen non-priority queue for 3.5 hours. In all that time we queued iniside for an hour, then outside for 2.5 hours. Just got inside again, still nowhere near security. I think the flight must have left empty because there is no way 4 hours would have been enough time to clear security. When we left the queue to head back to the train station, they were stopping everyone from going upstairs to departures because the floor was full.
HadesNL and BA850 like this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:06 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Wow, thanks for the report. That is really bad. And once again a clear sign that the problems are far from over. To the point that, from what it sounds like, at times things are again just as bad as the first few days of this mess (back in May).

Them blocking pax from going from Plaza to Departures hasn't happened in quite some time. That's a very important detail as this would prevent anybody to proceed: Including Priority and Privium pax.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:09 am

Is anybody, apart from Benschop/Schiphol, surprised?

You give people a bonus during the summer and when that bonus is ended, there isn't enough staff to man the security points..

Nobody could have seen that coming.....
Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Twitter seems to be grilling Dick Benschop....

Seems word got out that Schiphol & Dick Benschop negotiated the security staff hourly wage increase.......
- only untill the end of the summer vacation -

now that that period is over, wages revert back to the old (low) amount,
less security staff is keen to resume work / do their work / continue at this work
according to unions

taking from source twitter :
https://twitter.com/hashtag/schiphol?f=live

So it seems nobody in Schiphol upper management planned longterm for the rebound travel season to continue in September untill at least the autumn holidays / herfstvakantie

and to keep present/new security staff interested in their jobs with better wages

to keep up with the steady flow of passenger influx

-----
OT:
disclaimer <not my opnion>
observation of my teens socials:
many online folk believe now is the last time to travel
before the next general Dutch vaccination round starts,
-(adapted) booster type to suit wintery season going mainstream across the population-
and foreign countries/destinations/enterprises
demand to ask for proof of (adapted) booster type
and it becomes mandatory for international travel again
------
"explains" the rush to travel and the continued exodus of departing passengers from Schiphol

Last edited by HadesNL; Sep 12, 2022 at 12:07 pm
Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
I was at SPL this evening and the queus were bizarre. Hundreds of people lined up for the baggagehall. Presumably they missed their flights and needed their bag back. Queues for security started outside im both Departures 1 and 3. Meanwhile the KL check-in desks were deserted.
HadesNL and FlyingRVS like this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Is AMS still tolerable for non-Schengen to non-Schengen transit passengers flying KLM?

May have to transit AMS on Sunday morning. Assume that I will not have to reclear security if arriving from LHR? No plans to leave the secure area.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Three colleagues (so far!) have had their AMS departures tomorrow afternoon canceled. Mine's still scheduled, but I'm counting on a major delay at best. Will report here.

Johan
Old Sep 12, 2022, 12:32 pm

johan rebel : thanks for keeping us all informed!

It seems this is going to be a breaking news development and major déja vu relived from last spring.....

Was contemplating for next week a AMS BA evening flight back to the City but will book out of RTM instead
johan rebel and BA850 like this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 12:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Is AMS still tolerable for non-Schengen to non-Schengen transit passengers flying KLM?

May have to transit AMS on Sunday morning. Assume that I will not have to reclear security if arriving from LHR? No plans to leave the secure area.
Ordinarily fine (but I’d strongly advise against travelling with checked luggage if you can avoid it), and no need to re-clear security or pass through the Dutch/Schengen border.

However, if the imposed cancellations reported upthread continue or snowball, then this coming Sunday may prove tricky.

Can you go via CDG instead?
Old Sep 12, 2022, 1:25 pm

Questions queues terminal 3 - Priority lanes

Dear All,

Next Sunday, we will fly from Amsterdam to Doha, at 04:15 pm from terminal 3. It is our first time from Schiphol and I have a few questions. We reserved a parking slot in the parking garage of P3. There is a shuttle bus to the terminal. Will the bus stop directly at the terminal, or, if the queue is outside, at the end of the queue? Are the long queues only for the security gate or also for the check-in? I read a lot about the long queues but only for terminal 1 and 2. Is it also the same for terminal 3? Did somebody have experience with the check-in with Qatar? We will fly business and normally they have a special check-in desk. Can we also use the priority lane or is it only for Sky members in AMS? Have everybody experiences with the luggage? I have seen the big mountains in the arrival hall. Do you have also lost your baggage? If yes, at departure or at the return flight? Do they try to send it to you, later?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.