Wiki Posts
Search

No dogs in Hold on Boeing 787?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2021, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan;KLM;UA
No dogs in Hold on Boeing 787?

I just tried to reserve a spot for my dog on flights to and from YYZ/AMS this December /January.
We have done this many times since 1999.
When I finally got through to KLM, they said there was a pet in hold 'embargo' on this plane. (KLM used to run 747s on this route).

Indeed on the pet travel page they now have this note:

"It’s not possible to bring your pet in the hold if: ...
  • your flight is operated with a Boeing 787-9 or 787-10 aircraft."
from Flying with a dog or cat in the cabin or hold - KLM

AFAICT, other airlines, including Air France, transport animals in the hold of this plane.
Any insight as to why KLM doesn't?
Seems incongruous with KLM's high reputation for animal transport and care.

Net effect was that we cancelled my wife's KLM ticket and are flying her and the dog into another airport on Air Canada.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 7:26 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
I believe that due to the reduced cargo volumes KLM can transport on B787 as opposed to airframes such as B747 and B787, it has prioritised higher margin types of cargo such as PER (Perishables such as cheese and flowers) and VAL (Valuables such as diamonds and cash). Hence this embargo to ensure it can serve its important cargo clients who export these kinds of special cargoes regularly and are more profitable than the odd passenger wanting to move his or her pet occasionally.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan;KLM;UA
Thanks ....Well that sucks.

On the other hand I've just moved 3 of our 4 upcoming flights YYZ/AMS to Air Canada from KLM.
Reluctantly since I much prefer KLM to AC.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 9:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond
It's been two years since the last post on this topic but there still exists the question of why KLM embargoed dogs in the hold of 787. I'm curious since I just booked a kennel in the cargo hold from CDG to SEA on an AF 787-9, Dec 7. As recently as this last spring (2023) I have heard about this 787 dog embargo from KLM personnel. I flew from AMS to ORD on KLM yesterday and I asked the flight attendants if there was an embargo on this 787-10 and they said they didn't know why that would be but that they would check with the people up front. I assume that means the pilots but in any case, I think they forgot about the question minutes after I asked. Does anybody have any new data on this embargo? Does it still exist and why?
Regarding the profitability of taking dogs in the hold for passengers, I can give you my experience yesterday as an example of profitability I'm a Delta Diamond so I have an obvious incentive to fly on DELTA. I was booked on DELTA in Premium Select on DL 80 CDG-SEA nonstop in December. For some reason, I could have upgraded my seat to Business for just around $400 but instead I changed to AIR FRANCE, the SAME FARE CLASS on the nonstop CDG-SEA AF 368, same day FOR $800 MORE because DELTA DOES NOT TAKE DOGS IN THE HOLD FOR REGULAR CUSTOMERS (ONLY MILITARY AND DIPLOMATIC.) In addition to that charge I will pay 400 Euros for the dog for a grand total of $1230 for the dog. I think it would be a clear advantage for DELTA to allow dogs in the hold on certain, nonstop routes but they remain inflexible.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 10:24 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
PETC AVI handling is wrought with risk. Especially on longhaul flights. I'm not surprised that many airlines avoid it.
hhdl likes this.

Last edited by Fabo.sk; Nov 14, 2023 at 12:56 pm Reason: Wrong special code :(
Old Nov 14, 2023, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
PETC handling is wrought with risk. Especially on longhaul flights. I'm not surprised that many airlines avoid it.
KLM doesn't avoid it, except in the 787. On all other types animals in hold are allowed.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 7:39 am
Suspended

There are two reasons for this. One is reduced cargo hold space and secondly its to stop idiots who thing they cant live without their dog travelling by plane. Now as soon as all those idiots in USA get it into their heads, service dogs are also known as . "I dont want to pay to put my dog in a kennel syndrome."
irishguy28, mlin32, hhdl and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 9:29 am

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by leosantos
and secondly its to stop idiots who thing they cant live without their dog travelling by plane. Now as soon as all those idiots in USA get it into their heads, service dogs are also known as . "I dont want to pay to put my dog in a kennel syndrome."
Too bad there isn't a 'dislike' button, this is really uncalled for

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.