FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No dogs in Hold on Boeing 787?
View Single Post
Old Nov 14, 2023, 9:58 am
mtdog

Programs: DL Diamond
It's been two years since the last post on this topic but there still exists the question of why KLM embargoed dogs in the hold of 787. I'm curious since I just booked a kennel in the cargo hold from CDG to SEA on an AF 787-9, Dec 7. As recently as this last spring (2023) I have heard about this 787 dog embargo from KLM personnel. I flew from AMS to ORD on KLM yesterday and I asked the flight attendants if there was an embargo on this 787-10 and they said they didn't know why that would be but that they would check with the people up front. I assume that means the pilots but in any case, I think they forgot about the question minutes after I asked. Does anybody have any new data on this embargo? Does it still exist and why?
Regarding the profitability of taking dogs in the hold for passengers, I can give you my experience yesterday as an example of profitability I'm a Delta Diamond so I have an obvious incentive to fly on DELTA. I was booked on DELTA in Premium Select on DL 80 CDG-SEA nonstop in December. For some reason, I could have upgraded my seat to Business for just around $400 but instead I changed to AIR FRANCE, the SAME FARE CLASS on the nonstop CDG-SEA AF 368, same day FOR $800 MORE because DELTA DOES NOT TAKE DOGS IN THE HOLD FOR REGULAR CUSTOMERS (ONLY MILITARY AND DIPLOMATIC.) In addition to that charge I will pay 400 Euros for the dog for a grand total of $1230 for the dog. I think it would be a clear advantage for DELTA to allow dogs in the hold on certain, nonstop routes but they remain inflexible.