AMS Lounge under COVID-19

Old Jun 22, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y1)
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Plenty of AMS-CPH-AMS flights get canceled these days, with KL1133/1134 and KL1129/1130 being the most common victims by far.

Cruise ship turnaround days in Copenhagen are an exception, KLM will operate the full complement of flights on those. If during the summer months the seatmap shows more than two rows of J at STD -72 , I know what I'm in for. American cruise passengers are a demographic so peculiar that they almost qualify for distinct species status. Yesterday's flight was a case in point. Packed to the rafters (I had the only vacant adjacent seat); eight or nine pax in various stages of decrepitude had to be pushed or hoisted on board; ridiculous amounts of checked luggage and carry-ons caused not only storage problems but also weight & balance issues, resulting in the flight being delayed even more than it already was; and the atmosphere on board was somewhat reminiscent of a domestic flight to LAS.

American lady behind me started yapping loudly on her cellphone as soon as she took her seat, and continued doing so when the safety demonstration started. After a few seconds the Cabin Supervisor stopped the demo, walked over to the lady and very politely, but in a firm tone that brooked no argument, told her to a) switch off her phone, and b) pay attention to his safety demonstration. Good for him!

Johan
the upside is: they rebooked me through CDG (which was triple the price at the time of booking the AMS one last Friday) as involuntary itinerary change, so I'm arriving 2 hours earlier in BCN, without having to go through Artis (the zoo in Amsterdam), with AF.

So honestly the earlier departure and arrival as well as route are better, at the same low low price I managed to get for KL's flights (165eur return, which is almost unheard of coming from or flying to CPH these days)
johan rebel likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by b12e
without having to go through Artis (the zoo in Amsterdam)
Actually Schiphol is a mongrel, the result of crossing Artis with het Rijksasiel voor Psychopaten Dr. S. van Mesdag.

Johan
b12e likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:29 am

Alright, so BP wasn't sufficient despite SkyPriority on it, but showing my FB Platinum card did work - Apartment it is.

Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alright, so BP wasn't sufficient despite SkyPriority on it, but showing my FB Platinum card did work - Apartment it is.
A very sleepy apartment! Quiet and calm is just what lounges should be, but very rarely are these days.

Johan
Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
A very sleepy apartment! Quiet and calm is just what lounges should be, but very rarely are these days.

Johan
it is pretty full though. Hardly any free seats.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:27 am

Programs: DL DM
Flying BLQ-AMS-BHD tomorrow and have an 8 hour layover. With all the fuss in AMS lately is it advisable to step into town for the day? Would it be possible to store my things in the lockers below the Schengen lounge and pick them up prior going to the non-Schengen lounge for my AMS-BHD flight?
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Originally Posted by presence.unknown
Flying BLQ-AMS-BHD tomorrow and have an 8 hour layover. With all the fuss in AMS lately is it advisable to step into town for the day? Would it be possible to store my things in the lockers below the Schengen lounge and pick them up prior going to the non-Schengen lounge for my AMS-BHD flight?
Unadvisable, under normal circumstances you would be able to spend 5-6 hours in the city, under current circumstances more than 2 would be incurring a risk unless you have priority.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it is pretty full though. Hardly any free seats.
I seem to remember the days, not at all long ago, when I was in the company of only one or two other patrons, if not alone. Catering was only available in that flying beer hall next door, though.

Johan
b12e likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.