Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DUS - LAS with 2 short connections, doable?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue
DUS - LAS with 2 short connections, doable?

Hi

I can book the following ticket for a very low price, leaving on July 12, back on July 31. It has 2 connections (not ideal) but the overall fly time is not bad (13 - 14 hours).
Connection in AMS is only 45 min and in MAN 1h10m which is very short. KLM of course confirms this is doable, but I am a bit in doubt.

AMS connection might work, I assume same terminal, no passport/security check?
MAN connection is a connection to the US, so here I expect more hassle....

Anyone experience/advice? Thanks!

06:20
Dusseldorf, International Airport, Germany (DUS)
07:15
Amsterdam, Schiphol, Netherlands (AMS)

KL 1852, Embraer 175

Operated by: KLM Cityhopper
Class: Economy Class , selected fare: Light

Transfer time: 0h40

07:55
Amsterdam, Schiphol, Netherlands (AMS)
08:15
Manchester, Manchester Intl., United Kingdom (MAN)

KL 1071, Boeing 737-800

Operated by: KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Transfer time: 1h10

09:25
Manchester, Manchester Intl., United Kingdom (MAN)
12:10
Las Vegas, McCarran Intl., USA (LAS)

KL 4845, Airbus A330-300

Operated by: Virgin Atlantic

Total travel time 14h50
Old Jan 18, 2020, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
If you are booking this all in one transaction on a single ticket, then yes, "it can be done". However, you may wish to see if you can book a flight from DUS the night before and stay at the airport overnight, as missing your connection in AMS will require them to rebook you and possibly delay your plans.

If you are booking this in some other way - then no, it cannot be done.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Hi, Yes this is all on one ticket.

So you think the 45 mins in AMS can be a bigger challenge than the 1h10m in MAN?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
If all flights run on time or early, you will make the connection.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jan 18, 2020 at 7:29 am
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
If all flights run on time or early, you will make the connection.
The good news here is that in July the chance of snow, fog, freezing rain or howling gales is fairly low at AMS. On the other hand, there could be thunderstorms.

At MAN I've only ever transfered in the other direction, i.e. US - Schengen, and that was a pain. It involved finding a bus terminal, waiting for a bus, taking a tour around the airport to a dedicated security checkpoint, going through immigrations, and then a long slog through a crowded terminal to the departure gate. My transfer time was similar to yours, and I did make it, but even a slightly late arrival would really have messed things up.

Johan
Old Jan 18, 2020, 12:33 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by lord_bonez
Hi, Yes this is all on one ticket.

So you think the 45 mins in AMS can be a bigger challenge than the 1h10m in MAN?
You need to do Schengen-non Schengen. Assuming you arrive at C-gates (or if an Embraer bussed to the entrance between C and D) you just have to pass customs between Schengen and non-Schengen which brings you right at D-gates, where your Man flight likely is departing from. Only extreme queues (next to a delay of the DUS flight) can spoil things but then obviously ask gently if you can pass due to short connection if they do not have a short connection lane open. But then the DUS departure is the first flight of the plane that day, so delays not very likely....unless something happens as events described in the thread 'Mess at Schiphol today'.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:32 am

I don't understand why people are so worried about making a connection. Let's say you miss the connection in AMS to MAN, there are literally tons of options how to travel from AMS to LAS. They will rebook you on the direct flight. Or one with a connection in the US (JFK/LAX/SLC/ATL/SEA/BOS/DTW/SFO to name a few). Same with missing the connection in MAN, heaps of options there too. I really don't understand the worries.
Porcepic likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: FB Plat
According to Google Flights, the itinary is available to be booked through KLM. https://flights.app.goo.gl/HvJqH
You may want to play with other return flights, but be warned, not all of them could be booked through the KLM website, according to Google Flights.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

There is also an option to fly to LAX from MAN, with a 5 hour stop over. This is rather long, but in case I miss AMS MAN, there are later flights as well. I might go for this one.

how about return flight: connect 50 mins on MSP?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by BobTL
I don't understand why people are so worried about making a connection. Let's say you miss the connection in AMS to MAN, there are literally tons of options how to travel from AMS to LAS. They will rebook you on the direct flight. Or one with a connection in the US (JFK/LAX/SLC/ATL/SEA/BOS/DTW/SFO to name a few). Same with missing the connection in MAN, heaps of options there too. I really don't understand the worries.
Because it is high season and the options for rebooking on the day of travel may be very limited and even if there is availability, the seating by that time is inevitably the dregs. If one is in Y, that means a middle seat near a lav or galley or both for what is a fairly lengthy journey.

East Coast to LAS if one is rerouted to a US gateway are all on narrow body with 3-3 configuration for what is a 5-1/2 hour flight.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:04 am

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by lord_bonez
how about return flight: connect 50 mins on MSP?
First, it's doable.
Second, if you don't have any important matter on 1-2 August (a week-end), I wouldn't really be worried. MSP is one of Delta's hub, they will put you back to Europe one way or another, and any missing XP caused by a rerouting can be claimed afterwards by reaching the FB assistance (call, or even their form on the FB website). As you can see, Delta/KLM/AF have more flights the same day. Once you are in Europe, they will fly you to DUS.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador
I have done a 40 min connection from DUS many times. Just do not hang about when you get off the bus.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:52 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
The transfer at MAN could be the main problem.
Virgin are T2, KLM are T3.
I don't think that there is a quick airside connection for this. See Manchester Connection Question
Please check this before you book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.