Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are so many of the moving walkways at AMS broken?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2019, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
many moving walkways are broken. Non get fixed in that period.
Many Americans need more exercise, maybe the airport is just offering some mild encouragement.

Johan
Old Nov 6, 2019, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just did my occasional Schiphol evening constitutional cum sightseeing amble and can report the following :

G concourse : one out of four walkways inoperative.

Link between G and T3 : 2/4 inoperative

T3 : the only up escalator to the mezzanine inoperative (McD side). The other two escalators were running down, including one that usually runs up.

Up escalator from arrivals to F inoperative.

F concourse : both working.

E concourse : 3/6 inoperative.

Between E and D : both inoperative, but one was running again when I came back.

D concourse (non-Schengen) : 3/4 inoperative (4/4 when I walked back)

D concourse southern fork : both working.

D concourse northern fork : 3/4 inoperative. First two completely walled off.

I was not impressed.

Other highlights :

A lady in KLM uniform at the end of the F concourse offered me (and others) a plastic cup of water from a trolley. I accepted gratefully, gleefully ignoring any objections Greta might have.

Saw trolleys laden with Christmas decorations here and there, as well as huge, hideous and sparkling Christmas clogs in various locations. The latter must be a Dutch thing. Less controversial than Zwarte Piet, perhaps.

There was initially quite a bit of commotion on the D side. Crowds of pax staring at the info screens and at the transfer centers, lots of others running in all directions with their wheely bags.

Johan
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by johan rebel
I just did my occasional Schiphol evening constitutional cum sightseeing amble and can report the following :

G concourse : one out of four walkways inoperative.

Link between G and T3 : 2/4 inoperative

T3 : the only up escalator to the mezzanine inoperative (McD side). The other two escalators were running down, including one that usually runs up.

Up escalator from arrivals to F inoperative.

F concourse : both working.

E concourse : 3/6 inoperative.

Between E and D : both inoperative, but one was running again when I came back.

D concourse (non-Schengen) : 3/4 inoperative (4/4 when I walked back)

D concourse southern fork : both working.

D concourse northern fork : 3/4 inoperative. First two completely walled off.

I was not impressed.

Other highlights :

A lady in KLM uniform at the end of the F concourse offered me (and others) a plastic cup of water from a trolley. I accepted gratefully, gleefully ignoring any objections Greta might have.

Saw trolleys laden with Christmas decorations here and there, as well as huge, hideous and sparkling Christmas clogs in various locations. The latter must be a Dutch thing. Less controversial than Zwarte Piet, perhaps.

There was initially quite a bit of commotion on the D side. Crowds of pax staring at the info screens and at the transfer centers, lots of others running in all directions with their wheely bags.

Johan
That's a pretty impressive % of non working walkways. Sounds like my thread wasn't completely unfunded.

I hope at least you got a decent amount of steps on your little excursion!
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: FB plat for life
Arrived last night at B35 and luggage was delivered at belt 16 (Arrivals 3). A walk of 1.1 km with only 1 walkway in operation out of 7....

To some non-Dutch I wanted to apologise (plaatsvervangende schaamte) but could not come up with a reasonable excuse.

A shame

Only plus was that the luggage took so long that everyone made it to the belt before the 1st bag
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Ever since this topic has been created I am actually always counting broken vs non broken. It is not only airports. Together with escalators they are broken a lot.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:18 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by pjhartog
Arrived last night at B35 and luggage was delivered at belt 16 (Arrivals 3). A walk of 1.1 km with only 1 walkway in operation out of 7....

To some non-Dutch I wanted to apologise (plaatsvervangende schaamte) but could not come up with a reasonable excuse.

A shame

Only plus was that the luggage took so long that everyone made it to the belt before the 1st bag
Had the same yesterday morning, with CSA. Delayed as well. Poor lady seating next to me was trying to catch a flight in G pier in like 20 minutes to gate close...

anyway an awful long way. The belt is all the way by the further exit passport control from NS... it's like OK does things on purpose to make people not fly with them.

Walkway wise, from B to central Schengen lounge, 2/3 worked. And I've noticed that they are outright removing the walkways in the B pier itself... why?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: FB Platinum PA; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Talking

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
And I've noticed that they are outright removing the walkways in the B pier itself... why?
So people stop complaining about broken walkways
Old Dec 31, 2019, 6:45 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Thank you for this thread, it gives me the attraction of watching people struggle on broking escalators or on out of order travellators.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
OMG, seems like I've created a monster (at least a baby monster) with this thread. Didn't expect this to be such a topic of interest...

Now if AMS only would bother improving things...
Old Dec 31, 2019, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Now that I come to think of it, all the walkways down to B gates were inoperative when I went through the airport a week ago. I had to make it out to B36, which is the furthest gate away. No problem making it on time, I am a long distance walker anyway. But quite a few people were struggling.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
This is such a hot topic that even on new year's eve we are talking about it (borrelpraat).

the walkways between B to C gates seem to be all out in 1 direction, no bother putting an under construction notice board
Old Dec 31, 2019, 9:40 am

Add: they might want to punish those arriving passengers flying on star alliance carriers.
It gives a unique selling point to KLM: you'll reach the aircraft and Amsterdam in comfort and style with exclusive walkways
Old Jan 1, 2020, 12:50 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
Originally Posted by HadesNL
Add: they might want to punish those arriving passengers flying on star alliance carriers.
It gives a unique selling point to KLM: you'll reach the aircraft and Amsterdam in comfort and style with exclusive walkways
Don't say this out loud!!! Knowing KLM, when they read your proposal, they'll probably request an upcharge for this "service", automatically added to the ticket. DL Diamonds and KL/AF Platinums get a 15% discount.

Happy New Year everyone!!!
johan rebel and Mozart0815 like this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by HadesNL
I've arrived there Monday on a KL marketed flight. ugh. (and more ugh, baggage belt was in Arrivals 3, on F pier level...)

left also on plenty of Cityhopper flights from the "far" side of B pier that has stair to the ground and Embraers parked directly there, though never arrived at this position so I don't know if you just walk up into B or go by bus.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
I've arrived there Monday on a KL marketed flight. ugh. (and more ugh, baggage belt was in Arrivals 3, on F pier level...)

left also on plenty of Cityhopper flights from the "far" side of B pier that has stair to the ground and Embraers parked directly there, though never arrived at this position so I don't know if you just walk up into B or go by bus.
If your Cityhopper is parked on the apron: upon departure they may bus you from a B-gate with stairs. Upon arrival they bus you to an entrance close to D and close to Arrivals 1. If you are lucky your Embraer is directly parked at a B-gate, both for departure as arrival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.