Why are so many of the moving walkways at AMS broken?

Old Sep 26, 19, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Why are so many of the moving walkways at AMS broken?

Iím not a big fan of Schipol overall, but had several stopovers here over the last weekS. One thing I noticed was that quite a noticeable number of the moving walkways werenít functioning. Given that especially if you arrive via CityHopper at the B gates distances can be quite large, this is quite annoying.

Even worse, since my last stopover here two weeks ago none of these seem to have been fixed. So it really feels like the airport just doesnít care.

Is this exceptional or a known issue?
Old Sep 26, 19, 2:21 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
Had to board a flight at gate E24 last Saturday and literally all moving walkways were out of order, some of them with and some without signage. My Apple watch was very happy with my walking distance that day.
Mozart0815 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arjen05 View Post
Had to board a flight at gate E24 last Saturday and literally all moving walkways were out of order, some of them with and some without signage. My Apple watch was very happy with my walking distance that day.
Indeed I also flew from E24 last week. Same experience. But my question is why donít they just fix them?
Old Sep 27, 19, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
I think they realised that the majority weren't using them as walkways, so they switched them all off!
Mozart0815 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 19, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
I think they realised that the majority weren't using them as walkways, so they switched them all off!
What do you mean? What would the majority be using them as?
Old Sep 27, 19, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chris0815 View Post
Is this exceptional?
Nope, it is par for the course.

Even when up and running these walkways are rather annoying, simply because they are not wide enough to easily pass all those people who come to a complete stop the second they set foot on the walkway. Bigger bags and larger pax just make it worse, especially because those who obviously would benefit from walking more are the most likely to stand still.

Johan
Old Sep 27, 19, 4:21 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
(...) those who obviously would benefit from walking more are the most likely to stand still.
Surely the purpose of your statement was not to casually fat shame people in a forum related to something completely different. Do I understand your quote correctly as being addressed to all those stressed frequent flyers who spend unholy amount of hours locked in pressurized metal tubes, and who would benefit from a little stretch?
Kannai, KLBGO and Barrheadlass like this.
Old Sep 27, 19, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Schiphol seems to have more walkways out of order than London Underground has dysfunctional escalators. It's bursting at the seams and has become a much less enjoyable experience in the last 10 or so years, which is a shame as it used to be mine (and just about everyone else's favourite airport back in the good old days). At least security seems to be getting better, with the new scanners in place.
Old Sep 27, 19, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB View Post
What do you mean? What would the majority be using them as?
Somewhere to stand, and impede others trying to rush by!
Old Sep 27, 19, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
Even when up and running these walkways are rather annoying, simply because they are not wide enough to easily pass all those people who come to a complete stop the second they set foot on the walkway. Bigger bags and larger pax just make it worse, especially because those who obviously would benefit from walking more are the most likely to stand still.
You're talking about the ones in the D pier.

The ones connecting the lounge to the B pier are far wider, and have indeed been in an even worse state of disrepair than the narrow D pier walkways. Nearly every time I have used the B gates in the last several years at least one was out of action, and usually had a team of technicians trying to fix it. The last time I used B a few weeks ago, every single walkway on the way towards the gates was non-operational, and there was no sign of any work being done on any of them. No-one was using them, which made the remainder of the corridor incredibly busy.
Old Sep 27, 19, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone so Iím not the only one annoyed by this phenomenon.

It is just something I never noticed anywhere else. Sure youíll have the occasional one out of order but never such a huge number. Plus no signs of repairs going on.

Really weird. Iím not sure why they donít realize this is the kind of stuff that drives away transit passengers.

Iím pretty ok with the KLM J long range product but the pretty poor Schiphol ground experience plus the fact that the City Hoppers always include 4 annoying bus transfers and no business class comfort to speak off Iíll really try to avoid AMS in the future.
Old Sep 27, 19, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ok986 View Post
Surely the purpose of your statement was not to casually fat shame people in a forum related to something completely different. Do I understand your quote correctly as being addressed to all those stressed frequent flyers who spend unholy amount of hours locked in pressurized metal tubes, and who would benefit from a little stretch?
Anybody and everybody who is not impaired for whatever reason and thus prevented from keeping moving. Walking is a beneficial acitivity, standing still far less so.

I relish the opportunity to strech my legs after being stuck in an airplane seat, so unless I'm in a real hurry I have no objection to arriving at or departing from an end-of-the world gate. But I'm also a fast walker who keeps going on moving walkways and escalators, so the fewer obstacles the better. If nothing else, I like beating the crowd and getting to immigrations first. In this respect the situation at Schiphol has deteriorated substantially over the years. Mainly a matter of overcrowding, but to some extent also because more and more people now seem to think that the main purpose of moving walkways is to transport them while they are checking e-mails or sending text messages, which renders them even more oblivious to those who would like to squeeze past. Almost as bad as all those pedestrians in their digital bubbles I have to deal with when riding my bike. At least I can scare the latter sensless without bothering my conscience.

Johan
Old Sep 27, 19, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

every single walkway on the way towards the gates was non-operational, and there was no sign of any work being done on any of them. No-one was using them, which made the remainder of the corridor incredibly busy.
Therein lies an advantage. As people for some reason are reluctant to use a non-moving walkway, you can use it to avoid the crowds. A bit like having the commuter lane almost to yourself.

Johan
Giantlonglegs likes this.
Old Sep 27, 19, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Somewhere to stand, and impede others trying to rush by!
Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying.
Old Sep 27, 19, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chris0815 View Post
It is just something I never noticed anywhere else. Sure youíll have the occasional one out of order but never such a huge number.
There was a time when non-functioning walkways was an all-too-frequent feature at LHR but they seem to have got their act more or less together in the last few years.
Mozart0815 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: