Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KL connection time at TXL for harebrained scheme?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus
KL connection time at TXL for harebrained scheme?

Hi all-- I am sorry, I'm not exactly sure where to post this because it's kind of cross-airline...but any help would be appreciated.

I have a week in Amsterdam and Berlin in November. I am flying EWR -> AMS and AMS -> EWR on United. I wanted to fly mid-week from AMS to TXL. The only way I see to do that is on KLM.

AMS -> TXL no problem.
TXL -> AMS...question.

The earliest flight from TXL -> AMS is at 6:00, landing 7:25.

The UA AMS -> EWR leaves 9:15.

That technically gives you 1:50 to connect. Assuming no delays, it looks perfect.

However, issues I see:

1. Any significant delay at all could basically kill you.
2. UA only leaves once a day, so missing it means you have to wait a day to come home if you miss.
3. KLM and UA are not partners, so if you miss the UA, you have to buy a new ticket on UA at your expense.

You may ask why not just fly TXL -> EWR, and the reason for that is that AMS -> EWR is dramatically cheaper (by like a ton).

Is this an insane plan? My alternative was coming home from TXL -> AMS a day earlier and spending another night in Amsterdam, it just requires another night in a hotel in Amsterdam. Since the days are separate, you kind of don't get a bulk discount.

Sorry this is cockamamie. Looking for any feedback.

edit: Sorry, I said connection time at TXL...I really meant connection time at AMS! My mistake. The flight arrives on KLM from TXL into AMS and then I'd have to hoof it to the UA gate.

Maybe assume I don't check luggage?

edit: The more I think about it, going from Schengen to non-Schengen means I'd need to go through customs and immigration. It just can't work. Super harebrained.

Last edited by kac2138; Aug 21, 2019 at 7:46 pm
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
It is indeed too risky. You should fly back to AMS the day before and overnight there.
irishguy28 and manacit like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: FB Plat
Are you flexible with when you need to be in Amsterdam and Berlin, or not?

An alternative could be to fly to Berlin directly when you arrive at AMS (connection will be easier in this direction) and visit Amsterdam at the end of your trip, so that you do not split your nights spent there (nor have to spend a night at an airport hotel).
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
That Schengen to non Schengen passport control can get pretty jammed up at certain times of the day, although I saw that US passports can now use the electronic gates. That would be the bit that would worry me.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:27 am

Programs: FB Plat
If you don't have checked luggage, that seems doable to me. A bit risky in case of slight delays, even though all the delayed departures I experienced on KLM Intra-Europe flights since last year were always compensated upon arrival, so I don't consider it to be too risky.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Also for travelling between Berlin and Amsterdam you might be interested in using Easyjet. They have three or four flights a day in each direction between AMS and SXF (Berlin-Schönefeld).
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Doable definitely, I would believe the morning flight will be on time. But again, no guarantee.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the advice. Yeah I want to be in Amsterdam before Berlin since I have a friend who works in Amsterdam so he will only be free on the weekend.

I guess the safest route is to take the latest flight to ams from txl and stay in the airport hotel. I assume there’s a nice one? or a cheap one rather lol.

Unless others think its doable and i should chance it.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: Flying Blue
It is doable but if you fail to catch your flight (due to the mandatory security checks you need to go through). It will be expensive if UA does not help you out!

-

Airport Cheap and Hotel normally do not go hand in hand @ Schiphol

-

Take a train to cheaper location if budget is an issue

Citizen M hotel or Joytel are the nicest on a budget @ the airport!
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:14 am
Original Poster

I see an Airport Ramada! I will just put up a mosquito net.

I have never made money on any bet about UA helping me out, that's for sure.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by kac2138
I wanted to fly mid-week from AMS to TXL. The only way I see to do that is on KLM.
I would never attempt to arrive for my "main" flight on a separate ticket with such a short cushion.

2 months ago, i.e. in "summer", I had my 15:20 flight to TXL cancelled just as I was attempting to drop off a bag, followed a few hours later by having my replacement 16:45 flight to TXL cancelled, by which time the only remaining flight of the day at 20:45 was full. This was due to "wind"; these two TXL flights were 2 of the very few cancelled that day.

Bear in mind, also, that you have other options to get to/from Berlin. Easyjet flies to SXF. And there's also the train.

I would recommend that you get back to Amsterdam the day before your flight back to the US.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Yeah, so I didn't look at SXF, but I think I will do a late evening flight to AMS from SXF and stay there. Honestly I bet I could do it (I can run through the airport REALLY fast LOL) but the stress would just not be worth it. I'm stressing out about it now so I can only imagine the experience on the day of.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:21 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

This is risky but doable if you are able to check in for the UA flight online and don’t have bags. AMS has automated passport gates and when they aren’t available, staff will let you cut the line if you have a tight connection.

Morning flights are less likely to be delayed but anything can happen.

Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by kac2138
Yeah, so I didn't look at SXF, but I think I will do a late evening flight to AMS from SXF and stay there. Honestly I bet I could do it (I can run through the airport REALLY fast LOL) but the stress would just not be worth it. I'm stressing out about it now so I can only imagine the experience on the day of.
The Citizenm is on the airport property and about a 3 minute walk from the terminal. You don't want a hotel where you need to take a shuttle bus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.