FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - KL connection time at TXL for harebrained scheme?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:20 pm
kac2138

Programs: MileagePlus
KL connection time at TXL for harebrained scheme?

Hi all-- I am sorry, I'm not exactly sure where to post this because it's kind of cross-airline...but any help would be appreciated.

I have a week in Amsterdam and Berlin in November. I am flying EWR -> AMS and AMS -> EWR on United. I wanted to fly mid-week from AMS to TXL. The only way I see to do that is on KLM.

AMS -> TXL no problem.
TXL -> AMS...question.

The earliest flight from TXL -> AMS is at 6:00, landing 7:25.

The UA AMS -> EWR leaves 9:15.

That technically gives you 1:50 to connect. Assuming no delays, it looks perfect.

However, issues I see:

1. Any significant delay at all could basically kill you.
2. UA only leaves once a day, so missing it means you have to wait a day to come home if you miss.
3. KLM and UA are not partners, so if you miss the UA, you have to buy a new ticket on UA at your expense.

You may ask why not just fly TXL -> EWR, and the reason for that is that AMS -> EWR is dramatically cheaper (by like a ton).

Is this an insane plan? My alternative was coming home from TXL -> AMS a day earlier and spending another night in Amsterdam, it just requires another night in a hotel in Amsterdam. Since the days are separate, you kind of don't get a bulk discount.

Sorry this is cockamamie. Looking for any feedback.

edit: Sorry, I said connection time at TXL...I really meant connection time at AMS! My mistake. The flight arrives on KLM from TXL into AMS and then I'd have to hoof it to the UA gate.

Maybe assume I don't check luggage?

edit: The more I think about it, going from Schengen to non-Schengen means I'd need to go through customs and immigration. It just can't work. Super harebrained.

Last edited by kac2138; Aug 21, 2019 at 7:46 pm