Wiki Posts
Search

Weird automatic seat allocation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Weird automatic seat allocation

Not sure what's going on here. No J? No EC?

Mine is the only occupied seat in the first 24 rows. I had no problems moving myself around to various seats in row 2, which is normally also J.

This is the return leg, for the outbound I cannot even access the seat map.

Johan
Attached Images  
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:15 am

Which flight is that? The seat configuration seems like the HV 737-800 rather than the KL one (no 1D-1F)
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
Which flight is that? The seat configuration seems like the HV 737-800 rather than the KL one (no 1D-1F)
Ahh . . . that might explain it.

KL1125. Never seen a HV aircraft on that route before. Nor have I ever set foot on an HV plane. How's the legroom in the bulkhead rows?

Johan
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by johan rebel

KL1125. Never seen a HV aircraft on that route before. Nor have I ever set foot on an HV plane. How's the legroom in the bulkhead rows?

Johan
See https://insideflyer.nl/klm-leaset-to...van-transavia/ (CPH is included) and https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Tr...ng_737-800.php. next to https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/KL...ng_737-800.php
Essentially you loose 3 inch if you can book EC for free (or fly J....). Interestingly the KL and Transavia both have 32 full rows so overall density should be similar - I distrust Seatguru in saying KL has 30 inch for regular economy while Transavia is suggested less....where did the 18 extra inch for row 1-6 in KL go? Transavia has further 3 seats in row 1 where KL has a galley.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:47 am

Johan
I've only flown HV once and not in a bulkhead seat so no idea, but on a similarly configured airplane, row 2 legs space is decent (compared to the rest of the rows) where as row 1 is very limited.

Originally Posted by atflyer
See https://insideflyer.nl/klm-leaset-to...van-transavia/ (CPH is included) and https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Tr...ng_737-800.php. next to https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/KL...ng_737-800.php
Essentially you loose 3 inch if you can book EC for free (or fly J....). Interestingly the KL and Transavia both have 32 full rows so overall density should be similar - I distrust Seatguru in saying KL has 30 inch for regular economy while Transavia is suggested less....where did the 18 extra inch for row 1-6 in KL go? Transavia has further 3 seats in row 1 where KL has a galley.
KL doesn't have row 13, so HV basically have one extra row on the A-C side.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the info and links.

row 2 legs space is decent (compared to the rest of the rows) where as row 1 is very limited
Is that true for all of row 2?

2DEF are bulkhead seats, but have more room than 1ABC? Or is it 2ABC that have more space?

Johan
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:55 am

Thanks for the info and links.

Is that true for all of row 2?

2DEF are bulkhead seats, but have more room than 1ABC? Or is it 2ABC that have more space?

Johan
2DEF has more leg space than 1ABC
2ABC is like any other normal row
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

2DEF has more leg space
Great, I already moved myself there.

I get to fly a new airline! How exciting!

Johan
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
You've never flown HV Johan? I gotta say, I'm surprised!
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:16 am

KL doesn't have row 13, so HV basically have one extra row on the A-C side.
Yes that is what I meant - half a galley less and 3 seats more, that explains the difference between 186 seats at KL and 189 seats at HV in a 737-800. But my puzzle is that KL has 33 inch at row 1-6 and 30 inch in the rest, while HV is claimed to be 29-30 inch for all rows. Does not make sense...a KL 737-800 has the same length as a HV one not?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by atflyer
Yes that is what I meant - half a galley less and 3 seats more, that explains the difference between 186 seats at KL and 189 seats at HV in a 737-800. But my puzzle is that KL has 33 inch at row 1-6 and 30 inch in the rest, while HV is claimed to be 29-30 inch for all rows. Does not make sense...a KL 737-800 has the same length as a HV one not?
Maybe the galley on the right hand side is bigger to compensate for the 1/2 missing one on the left hand side?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by caliform
You've never flown HV Johan? I gotta say, I'm surprised!
If it is any consolation, I can report that I have flown DY, and found the experience entirely satisfactory.

Johan
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: FB Plat, SQ*G, OW Emerald, Hertz PC
Well, row 2 DEF is the way to go here, or row 1 or an exit row because all other rows are terribly bad with legroom on HV.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just had another look at the seat map. Still wide open, but now the first three rows show as unavailable, and it says

"This flight is operated by
Please note that now only a limited number of seats is available. During check-in you can choose from more seats, and reserve seats in the Economy Comfort zone too"

The map does not show any EC rows, and I'm still seated in row 2.

For the outbound I yet again cannot access the seatmap, but I see that I've been moved from an EC aisle seat to a middle seat:

05B Economy Comfort (payment in progress)

and

Thank you for booking one or more extra options. As soon as your booking and payment are processed, your extra option(s) will be visible as confirmed via My Trip.

Johan

Last edited by johan rebel; Oct 20, 2018 at 4:27 am
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:20 pm

Just had another look at the seat map. Still wide open, but now the first three rows show as unavailable, and it says

"This flight is operated by
Please note that now only a limited number of seats is available. During check-in you can choose from more seats, and reserve seats in the Economy Comfort zone too"

The map does not show any EC rows, and I'm still seated in row 2.

For the outbound I yet again cannot access the seatmap, but I see that I've been moved from an EC aisle seat to a middle seat:

05B Economy Comfort (payment in progress)

and

Thank you for booking one or more extra options. As soon as your booking and payment are processed, your extra option(s) will be visible as confirmed via My Trip.

Johan
These seem two issues. One: the extra option one books is not seen as paid for, despite positive emails with jubilant information such as 'Your extra's are fully booked and paid for' of KLM, see other treads on this. I had this a week ago on a KL flight AMS-LYS where I booked an upgrade to EC but for which my AMEX payment was somehow not processed [KL site at some points showed the caveat that payment still was processed]. Upon checking in, I was bumped to a regular seat, but I could pay again with AMEX for the upgrade to EC and this time it worked well. Two: HV aircraft operating a KL flight. Then there is no J, no EC. Indeed, the seats on HV are much less comfortable as on KLM in Y (as I expierenced a day ago seated in 4F on a flight from NCE to AMS, KL flight number, HV aircraft with KL catering rules).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.