Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KL tightens non-rev regs (a teeny-weeny bit)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by jb2008
And, if operational upgrades are necessary, platinum passengers are always the first to be chosen.
Do you have a source?
Because that has been proven wrong on many occasions.
saraoutou and caliform like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by bodory
Do you have a source?
It is a combination of status and fare.

Last edited by Meneer Guggenheimer; Sep 6, 2018 at 3:44 am
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
It’s on order of status. But FB Plat is not the first on the list.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
you are right, family and friends first! And then the mistresses of a crew member....

Xizm, lynxy, arjen05 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:11 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Upgrades are based on status and fare. A silver member on an expensive fare is upgraded before a gold member on a cheapo fare.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by bodory
Do you have a source?
Well no, I don’t have a source because it’s not in the frequent flyer rules, it’s a matter of policy, and “always” was a poor choice of a word, I’ll admit. But I don’t believe that there are gate agents out there changing frequent flyers’ seats so non-revs can sit together; non-revs typically don’t get their seat assignments until ten minutes before departure so they couldn’t even if they wanted to. In the same way in case of operational upgrades the required uogrades are done way before the ‘crewmember’s misstress’ ever gets on board.

You get what you pay for in business, I don’t understand why people seem to think that airline seats should be any different.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: Many

Well no, I don’t have a source because it’s not in the frequent flyer rules, it’s a matter of policy, and “always” was a poor choice of a word, I’ll admit.

Thank you. My understanding of the difference between a rule and a policy being rather limited I will certainly appreciate more details, if you have them.

But I don’t believe that there are gate agents out there changing frequent flyers’ seats so non-revs can sit together; non-revs typically don’t get their seat assignments until ten minutes before departure so they couldn’t even if they wanted to. In the same way in case of operational upgrades the required uogrades are done way before the ‘crewmember’s misstress’ ever gets on board.
Seeing is believing. Not necessarily at the gate indeed (hard to see it anyway) but once the doors are closed many things happen.

You get what you pay for in business, I don’t understand why people seem to think that airline seats should be any different.
Maybe because (some) passengers regularly witness airlines favouring their employees over their customers in front of the very customers.

Imagine an employee in the retail business, just because he or she is entitled to, paying 20% of the price of the same article you are buying at the counter next to yours in the shop.
What is unacceptable is not the discount but the execution. This is the reason why it does not happen and why employee private sales exist: you know they exist but you don't see them.
Goldorak and Xizm like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Upgrades are based on status and fare. A silver member on an expensive fare is upgraded before a gold member on a cheapo fare.
If that is literally correct then your first sentence should be: "Upgrades are based on fare and status". But I wonder how correct it is. If for example only one pax needs (or can) be upgraded then a party of 2 is obviously not going to be the first option, whatever the fare paid or status. I have no inside knowledge I just feel that a lot of factors come into play.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:51 am

Well there’s a chance that the non-rev already had his seat on the upper deck and jus

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
Testerday on KL888 there was a Non Rev'er who really wanted to introduce himself. Ofcourse he ended up on the upper deck while people in Economy Confort got a free shower from the leaking airconditioning on all the A seats. Always interested to see how the KLM non rev's immediately offer to switch seats......
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Joost14
Well there’s a chance that the non-rev already had his seat on the upper deck and jus

It rained water on the pax in EC, and sauce on the non-rev on the UD?

Johan
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:21 pm

Programs: FB plat for life
on PTY-AMS on Friday - at least 4 non-revs in J, kept walking to cockpit and Y cabin during the whole night.
Made a remark to the purser - also about the noise from the galley during the whole night.

"Yes, it is a full flight....."
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: FB Platinum / Privium+ / Hilton Gold
Flew in J last month from GLA-AMS, 3 empty seats in J and 1 on Y. non-rev decided to go sit next to me. (2-2 seat map on E195).
extremely annoying since she had a massive attitude. Luckily only little over 1 hour flight.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hotels.com Silver,
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut
Flew in J last month from GLA-AMS, 3 empty seats in J and 1 on Y. non-rev decided to go sit next to me. (2-2 seat map on E195).
extremely annoying since she had a massive attitude. Luckily only little over 1 hour flight.
I surely can not be the only one, that wants to know more about that attitude?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Imagine if you worked in a shoe factory, and when you went into one of your company’s retail outlets to buy some new shoes, you weren’t allowed introduce yourself to your colleagues there behind the till because the other customers might get jealous that you get a discount.

And if those same other customers used a public forum to complain about the fact that you get a discount on shoes and they don’t.
Wrong analogy. The right analogy would be a catering company where employees have some privileges, e.g. when there are surplus stock employees can take them for their private consumption. Now the employees of that catering company deliver and set up a big buffet for a wedding party. There are some particularly nice pieces of meat on the buffet, and some smaller, boney and thus less desirable pieces. Before the wedding guests arrive, the employees help themselves to the nice pieces of meat, leaving the less desirable ones for the wedding guests.

That is the point: when there is a choice to be made between a paying customer and an employee about who gets the better piece of meat / the upgrade, you want to favour the employees. I think it should be the paying customer.

but I don’t understand the mentality of those who think that they should get more than they paid for.
Neither do I. So why do non-revs expect to get better treatment than they paid for? Why do they get the upgrades to J and the paying customers don't?

I agree that customers should not expect to be upgraded only because there are free seats in the higher cabin. But nor should non-revs, yet you seem to defend that they are allowed to expect that and make it happen through all kinds of shenanigans (personal introduction, box of chocolate, etc).

Then please do enlighten us why non-revs shouldn't only be getting what they pay for? Why is that rule only valid for the poor idiots who actually bring money to the airline, i.e. paying customers?

Originally Posted by mfkne

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for treating your employees well, but if your customers suffer because you treat your employees well, things cross a line.
Amen.

That sentence should be taught and repeated to every non-rev every day.
tff, Goldorak, Xizm and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
So why do non-revs expect to get better treatment than they paid for? Why do they get the upgrades to J and the paying customers don't?
Because in some cases they have the "right" (through their employment contracts) to those seats. Everybody has some kind of perks through their work. These employees have the perk that these upgraded seats are theirs if they are free at boarding. Other people get a mobile phone, laptop, company car, annual bonus. These people get upgraded seats. Accept it.
The doomed likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.