FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   KL tightens non-rev regs (a teeny-weeny bit) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/1928580-kl-tightens-non-rev-regs-teeny-weeny-bit.html)

johan rebel Sep 2, 2018 10:53 am

KL tightens non-rev regs (a teeny-weeny bit)

Non-rev perks do not form part of the collective bargaining agreement, so KL can change the rules on a whim, much to the chagrin of the unions.

The latter are now up in arms, because KL has decreed that:

- non-rev pax may no longer introduce themselves as such to the crew (and thus put themselves first in line for special treatment and perks). KL says that the purser already has all the info he needs on his iPad. The unions ridiculously assert that this constitutes a safety threat, as FAs will no longer be able to call on non-revs for assistance in an emergency.

- the seat allocation generated by the reservations system must be adhered to. Hitherto, GAs have "corrected" seat allocations, as the reservation system allocates from back to front and from highest to lowest in the non-rev pecking order, which the unions consider unfair.

The airline says that the changes have been introduced in response to complaints. The unions, with impeccable logic, claim that tightening the rules will lead to more breaches, and thus more instead of fewer complaints.

Will be interesting to see where this goes.

Johan

KLflyerRalph Sep 2, 2018 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 30158726)
- non-rev pax may no longer introduce themselves as such to the crew (and thus put themselves first in line for special treatment and perks). KL says that the purser already has all the info he needs on his iPad. The unions ridiculously assert that this constitutes a safety threat, as FAs will no longer be able to call on non-revs for assistance in an emergency.

I have the feeling this will definitely not materialize. If anything, a verbal introduction will change to the handover of a box of chocolates.

johan rebel Sep 3, 2018 1:45 am

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph (Post 30159176)
I have the feeling this will definitely not materialize.

KL has already promised the unions to refrain from strict enforcement.

Johan

mfkne Sep 3, 2018 4:33 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 30160717)
KL has already promised the unions to refrain from strict enforcement.

If there was any doubt about KLM being Dutch, there you have proof that they are.

johan rebel Sep 3, 2018 6:38 am

KL has also announced that it will abolish in-flight sales, on which the cabin crew earn commission.

The unions are now demanding compensation for the loss of income. Great idea: get paid more for doing less work.

Johan

OpenSky Sep 3, 2018 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 30158726)
Non-rev perks do not form part of the collective bargaining agreement, so KL can change the rules on a whim, much to the chagrin of the unions.

- the seat allocation generated by the reservations system must be adhered to. Hitherto, GAs have "corrected" seat allocations, as the reservation system allocates from back to front and from highest to lowest in the non-rev pecking order, which the unions consider unfair.

Johan

Well I only wish US airlines would do this. Back when I was flying United, my seat ( often the nicest on the plane) was often poached by the GA on behalf of non-revs while I was moved to another seat. In the same cabin of course. Complained to United many times, documented the incidents, and reported them. Some of these incidents went to the employees file.

Non US flag airlines would never do this. At least to my knowledge.

I guess, i can be assured that next time I book seat 4B ( the crown) on the 744, it would stick.

The few times I have encountered KL non reves were on the 787-9, and often they spent a huge part of the flight chatting….
My favorite non revs are on LH. No one asks for anything special, and they basically take what ever is given to them.

And for those that wonder how I can tell who is a non rev, well, its not that hard. After a while.

Xizm Sep 3, 2018 4:47 pm

In Dutch:

Irritaties over IPB aanpassingen
We hebben KLM zeer duidelijk te kennen gegeven dat we de gepubliceerde aanpassingen in de IPB regeling onzinnig en onbegrijpelijk vinden! Met name de stoeltoewijzing van achter naar voren, het niet meer mogen voorstellen aan collega’s aan boord en het stellen van sancties op zogenaamde overtredingen hierop… KLM sputterde in eerste instantie dat het slechts om tekstwijzigingen ging en dat de aanpassingen ‘in lijn zijn met de geldende praktijk’. Omdat alle VNC bestuurders cabinecollega’s zijn en dus de praktijk kennen, zorgde deze stellingname voor een fikse discussie. Kort samengevat staat de VNC op het punt dat de aangescherpte IPB regels onnodig bemoeilijkt worden. Met als kanttekening dat we ons afvragen hoe eerlijk het is (IPB’ers met een goed nummer zitten achterin in de M-class en minder goede nummers als het meezit in economy comfort of C- class) en hoe veilig het is (om FS reden is het juist goed dat IPB’ende crew zich voorstelt zodat zij bij eventuele calamiteiten/evacuaties kunnen ondersteunen). Bovendien staat het haaks op het door KLM zo gepromote kompas waarin de werkgever stelt dat zich gewaardeerd en erkend en herkend voelen hoog in het vaandel staan…

KLM gaf toe dat de aanpassingen qua timing en tekst ‘onhandig zijn’ zeker omdat zij juist het toelaten aan boord op anciënniteit beter wil regelen. Dat is nu technisch niet mogelijk en daar wil KLM iets aan doen. De stoeltoewijzing wordt namelijk sinds een paar jaar via het Altea reserveringssysteem ingedeeld, dat het beste nummer als eerste indeelt maar dat doet dat in de volgorde van M- naar C-class (van achter naar voren). Grondcollega’s corrigeren dat handmatig maar in de aangepaste tekst lijkt dit verleden tijd.

Goeden moeten niet onder de kwaden lijden
De reden om met meer sancties te dreigen, onder andere op het voorstellen, is volgens KLM omdat terughoudendheid gewenst is en er in de IPad staat wie er IPB reist. Op onze vraag ‘wie verzint zoiets’, werd er in de ‘wij van KLM’ vorm gereageerd terwijl ook cabinecollega’s ‘wij van KLM zijn’. Bij doorvragen blijkt het aanscherpen van de IPB regeling vanuit de HR afdeling te komen, zogezegd vanwege klachten. De VNC meent echter dat de goeden niet onder de kwaden moeten lijden en als er op de grote meerderheid een klein aantal zich níet weet te gedragen dit dan uitgezocht moet worden en diegenen eventueel met sancties te maken krijgen. De insteek van KLM blijkt om de klachtenstroom te verminderen maar de VNC heeft aangeven dat bij verhoging van strenge sancties de klachten eerder meer zullen worden omdat je eerder ‘in overtreding bent’. Daarmee slaat de werkgever de plank volledig mis.

Geen strenge handhaving
KLM trok wederom de kaart dat IPB een gunst is en geen recht en daarmee ook geen arbeidsvoorwaardelijk onderwerp. Haaks hierop staat echter dat hoe breder je het sanctiebeleid maakt, des te groter de klachtenstroom kan worden wat mogelijk leidt tot meer problemen. In dat soort cases zou de VNC partij kunnen zijn om leden bij te staan en zitten we aan tafel, dus wordt het wel arbeidsvoorwaardelijk.
Om de verwarring compleet te maken gaf KLM aan dat het gestelde sanctiebeleid echt niet zo streng zal worden gehandhaafd en bijvoorbeeld voorstellen dus niet bestraft zal worden. Kortweg eindigen wij dus met de conclusie ‘onzinnig en onnodig’ en de VNC is hier nog niet klaar mee. We blijven het onderwerp IPB op de agenda houden tot het op een aanvaardbare manier is geregeld.

Sales aan boord anders invullen
KLM is voornemens om in de nabije toekomst de sales aan boord af te schaffen, onder meer vanwege een dalende omzet. Uit een evaluatie blijkt dat het verkopen aan boord op de huidige manier nog weinig toekomst heeft en er wordt gekeken naar alternatieven. De VNC heeft opgebracht dat dit een cao onderwerp is en dat de eventuele gevolgen, denk bijvoorbeeld aan het wegvallen van crew commissie, besproken moeten worden. KLM heeft toegezegd hier tijdig op terug te komen dus wordt vervolgd.

Source

Meneer Guggenheimer Sep 4, 2018 12:24 am

Testerday on KL888 there was a Non Rev'er who really wanted to introduce himself. Ofcourse he ended up on the upper deck while people in Economy Confort got a free shower from the leaking airconditioning on all the A seats. Always interested to see how the KLM non rev's immediately offer to switch seats......

jb2008 Sep 4, 2018 4:41 am

Imagine if you worked in a shoe factory, and when you went into one of your company’s retail outlets to buy some new shoes, you weren’t allowed introduce yourself to your colleagues there behind the till because the other customers might get jealous that you get a discount.

And if those same other customers used a public forum to complain about the fact that you get a discount on shoes and they don’t.

mfkne Sep 4, 2018 4:49 am

They already get a discount, and I don't think anyone has a problem with that. In this case they also get upgrades while paying customers (often Platinums and Platinum for Lifers) will never get an upgrade, or worse, get moved to other seats than the ones they selected so a friend of a crew member can be accommodated. I also witnessed other behaviour that had an impact on passengers - in one case on a KLC flight during cabin service the flight attendant stopped mid-cabin to talk to a non-rev colleague for 15-20 minutes while the rest of the cabin were waiting for drinks and snacks. Needless to say since the flight was short, service was abandoned shortly after. That kind of behaviour is just not professional, and that's why KLM are trying to stop it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for treating your employees well, but if your customers suffer because you treat your employees well, things cross a line.

jb2008 Sep 4, 2018 5:09 am

If you are a frequent flyer you have the opportunity to upgrade your seat using money or miles numerous times during the ticketing and check-in process, and you will always have priority over non-revs if you choose to do that. And, if operational upgrades are necessary, platinum passengers are always the first to be chosen. What you want is to be upgraded for free, and the company is not going to do that because then you will stop buying tickets in business class in the first place. If you are asked to change seats and you don’t want to do that, why can’t you just say no? I agree with you that service should be consistent always and attention divided equally amongst all passengers with special attention towards the elite, but I don’t understand the mentality of those who think that they should get more than they paid for.

mfkne Sep 4, 2018 5:42 am

Don't get me wrong - I for one also do not expect courtesy upgrades, and I know why KLM don't do them. What I don't understand is why KLM's crew should then be allowed to upgrade their friends when it is company policy to not upgrade passengers unless required - it just sends the wrong message.

Also, regarding seat swaps - I'm not concerned about being asked to swap seats on board, I'm talking about seat changes that happen behind the scenes where you simply get a new seat assigned during boarding.

arjen05 Sep 4, 2018 8:05 am

Similar example couple of weeks ago, BCN-AMS. 6 empty seats in J, then 4 non-rev pax were moved to the front, after that the purser came to see me and asked if I would like to move seats to J (why not?), immediately adding that there were not enough J meals on board, so I would get Y catering. Of course I was totally fine with that.

Shortly after take-off the non-rev pax received their business class meals and I got an economy sandwich. Again, I was happy with the upgrade, but from my customer perspective it's odd to see staff in free time being treated better than loyal customers.

caliform Sep 4, 2018 11:53 am

Originally Posted by mfkne (Post 30164967)
Don't get me wrong - I for one also do not expect courtesy upgrades, and I know why KLM don't do them. What I don't understand is why KLM's crew should then be allowed to upgrade their friends when it is company policy to not upgrade passengers unless required - it just sends the wrong message.

And this is why complaints keep coming in. It's awful if you're a frequent flier and get garbage treatment and see this kind of stuff happening regularly. It's puzzling to me that the cabin staff can't see this.

johan rebel Sep 4, 2018 12:32 pm

The weirdest things happen.

Back in the Good Old Days, KL had an unpublished RoyalWing benefit: they would block the adjacent seat on request.

I once had one of those so-called 'PROTstoelen', which also happened to be the last vacant WBC seat. Shortly after the doors closed, a lady came up the stairs to the UD, grabbed my belongings from the vacant seat, and started to look around for somewhere to stash them. Turned out she was the mom of one of the junior FAs working in coach.

After take-off the senior purser, who had obviously not been informed, came and introduced herself to "Mr. & Mrs. Rebel". Needless to say, the whole matter caused her quite some embarrassment, and the downstairs FA did not dare come visit her mom more than once, very briefly.

Johan