Search

Connecting Y to J on separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Connecting Y to J on separate tickets

A colleague is flying from NCL to AMS on KLM in Y and has 1 x 23kg allowance. They are connecting onto KLM to DEL in WBC where the allowance is 2 x 32kg. KLM twitter support has advised us that they will not honour the long haul allowance which is fair enough but what is the best way to get 2 x 32kg bags to AMS?

The only option I see is to buy an extra bag at €45 and then pay 2 x €70 for the 32kg bag surcharge?

Is there any other way or will it cost €185 to take the extra luggage to AMS?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: KL Plat
Fairly sure KLM allow pooling of baggage weight, so you could buy 2x 23kg bags for whatever the price (If they aren't elite, elite+ or ivory they should sign up for ivory for discount on the 1st bag). That would give you total weight allowance of 69kg over 3 bags which is just over the 64kg of 2x 32kg bags.

Unless anyone can confirm either way whether this would indeed work, you could run it past KLM and see what they say... Maybe they would only allow if you actually checked in 3 bags?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Solevita
Fairly sure KLM allow pooling of baggage weight, so you could buy 2x 23kg bags for whatever the price (If they aren't elite, elite+ or ivory they should sign up for ivory for discount on the 1st bag). That would give you total weight allowance of 69kg over 3 bags which is just over the 64kg of 2x 32kg bags.

Unless anyone can confirm either way whether this would indeed work, you could run it past KLM and see what they say... Maybe they would only allow if you actually checked in 3 bags?
That would be perfect. Does anyone know if they will allow that?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by onlysuites
That would be perfect. Does anyone know if they will allow that?
I just read they are separate tickets so you could even check a dummy 3rd bag on the 1st leg, then pack this inside one of the other bags for the 2nd.

Or just pack 3 bags (1 soft holdall or something) with 20ish kg each then repack into 2 bags, more hassle but definitely would be OK.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I just read they are separate tickets so you could even check a dummy 3rd bag on the 1st leg, then pack this inside one of the other bags for the 2nd.

Or just pack 3 bags (1 soft holdall or something) with 20ish kg each then repack into 2 bags, more hassle but definitely would be OK.
Problem is the 70 min connection at AMS so collecting bags would be hard.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: FB plat for life
My experience is that even if you have the weight allowance, the 23 kgs limit per bag will be quite strictly enforced. We are both PE and therefore are entitled to 2 x 2 x 23 kgs when we fly in Y within Europe. Bringing just one bag of 26 kgs can still cause them to ask you to reduce the weight or to split it over 2 bags....

Especially at AMS this seems a point - the agents often tell us they get checked and reprimanded if they do not strictly enforce this.

So indeed, bring an extra piece with lower weight per piece.

I don't think checking thru to DEL should be the issue then.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:26 am

Programs: FB Club 2000, M&M Hon

KLM doesn't allow pooling baggage weight. You buy #bag * 23kg.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pjhartog
So indeed, bring an extra piece with lower weight per piece.

I don't think checking thru to DEL should be the issue then.
But KLM Twitter have advised me that they will only accept 2 x32kg PC max for the AMS-DEL flight as that is what my luggage allowance for Business class is. Would I be able to check in 3 x 20kgs to DEL if I buy another two bags at NCL?

Any other cheaper way way to do this?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
A colleague is flying from NCL to AMS on KLM in Y and has 1 x 23kg allowance. They are connecting onto KLM to DEL in WBC where the allowance is 2 x 32kg. KLM twitter support has advised us that they will not honour the long haul allowance which is fair enough but what is the best way to get 2 x 32kg bags to AMS?

The only option I see is to buy an extra bag at €45 and then pay 2 x €70 for the 32kg bag surcharge?

Is there any other way or will it cost €185 to take the extra luggage to AMS?
Given the length of time you've been on FT and your status haul, I'm a bit surprised that you didn't warn your friend of the much bigger problem he might face. I force a challenge with a 70 minute window between landing in AMS and (pushback?) on another flight on a different ticket (ie no connection), during which he'll have to enter Schengen, retrieve his luggage, check in again, go through security, and get to the gate before it closes. As you probably know, AMS is a huge airport, and I've often spent 15 minutes just taxiing to the gate. What will happen when the check-in window for the longhaul flight closes?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Given the length of time you've been on FT and your status haul, I'm a bit surprised that you didn't warn your friend of the much bigger problem he might face. I force a challenge with a 70 minute window between landing in AMS and (pushback?) on another flight on a different ticket (ie no connection), during which he'll have to enter Schengen, retrieve his luggage, check in again, go through security, and get to the gate before it closes. As you probably know, AMS is a huge airport, and I've often spent 15 minutes just taxiing to the gate. What will happen when the check-in window for the longhaul flight closes?
I wasn't involved in the ticketing at all. They had a DEL-AMS-BER-AMS-DEL ticket and decided to stop by in NCL which meant another ticket being bought for the AMS-NCL r/t segment. Since its KLM to KLM they are happy to tag the luggage through from NCL to DEL. So no issues with security and schengen zones.

Only issue is luggage. TBH I used to be FF on KLM but haven't flown them in 10+ yrs long haul other then a NCL-AMS once in a while. So not sure on their rules.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:25 am
Suspended

I honestly was not having a go at you. Apologies if that’s how it sounded. If KL is happy to tag to final destination then one hurdle is solved, but I still think there is significant risk in making flight #2. Can he move flight #1 forward?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:06 am

I wasn't involved in the ticketing at all. They had a DEL-AMS-BER-AMS-DEL ticket and decided to stop by in NCL which meant another ticket being bought for the AMS-NCL r/t segment. Since its KLM to KLM they are happy to tag the luggage through from NCL to DEL. So no issues with security and schengen zones.
Did he still flew AMS-BER-AMS as well?
Also, in case he has a stopover in AMS, does he really need to fly with all the luggage to NCL? he could leave one of the bags in luggage storage in AMS and avoid baggage fees altogether, it will of course require going land-side so a longer connection will be required.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I honestly was not having a go at you. Apologies if that’s how it sounded. If KL is happy to tag to final destination then one hurdle is solved, but I still think there is significant risk in making flight #2. Can he move flight #1 forward?
Unfortunately not as it’s a 11am departure from AMS and this is the earliest flight out from NCL.

If we upgrade at OLCI then the 2 x 32kg should apply right?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:22 am
Suspended

I'll leave that to the KL experts. I just get a bit jittery with short (real) connections at AMS because of the size of the place.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:34 am

No, OLCI upgrade doesn't change luggage allowance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.