Wiki Posts
Search

Seat blocking in WBC depending on booking class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Seat blocking in WBC depending on booking class

Perhaps this is something that is already well known to others but I just discovered that KL blocks seats in WBC depending on your booking class. Thus, if you buy, say, a D class ticket, you will not see the same seat map as if you buy a C class ticket.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting!

In what way do the seat maps differ?

Johan
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Interesting!

In what way do the seat maps differ?

Johan
In my case, quite substantially: 10 seats in a 777 cabin available when booking C class, 7 of which showing as unavailable (on KL and other online booking channels) or blocked (in EF) when booking in a lower booking class: see here.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder what the logic is behind that.

As opposed to the 744, the 777 J cabin is pretty uniform as far as seats are concerned. Row 6 is best avoided because of the trolley traffic to and from coach, but otherwise the choice is basically between window or aisle, which comes down to individual preference.

Makes you wonder why, for instance, a D fare pax can select 4A, but not 3A. Perhaps they just want to keep as wide as possible a mix of window and aisle seats available for those who book full fare tickets at the last minute.

In any case, I always book the lowest available fare, and invariably find the seat map wide open. This may well be because I usually plan ahead and book three to five months out. Maybe the seat choice restrictions only kick in when the flight starts to fill up?

Johan
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:22 am

Interesting indeed — I’ll go and look back at a few past bookings to double check the booking class, purely out-of-curiosity as I don’t seem to remember any ‘odd’ seat-map arrangement. That said, I’m happily joining Johan in wondering what’s the mechanism (if any) behind this, even though I recently switched my long-haul (mostly SCL these days) to AZ — the 1-2-1 on their 772, the seat itself together with the decent food on offer all win hands down.

G
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, I am puzzled too. I bought my ticket a couple of months ago and don't recall seeing anything special at the time as far as the seat map is concerned. Then again, I don't recall choosing the seat that was allocated to me and it is not a seat I would normally go for so perhaps I was having a senior moment at the time. Be that as it may, I was surprised to see so little choice in the cabin when I went to change it last week when KL was still offering 8 tickets for sale.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:15 pm

Looking at the seat map of a future flight in June, booked in I class, I see 7 seats as unavailable, the rest is wide open (on a 777), interestingly enough if I make a new booking while not logged in, I only see a handful of available seats (1st picture), while if I login, I get many more to choose from (2nd picture)

Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
So 2nd and 3rd row available on top of the other rows.
Do you have FB status?

I can imagine they want to limit non-status low-fare passengers to what could be perceived as "worse" seats. Bulkhead rows or close to galley/toilets?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:11 pm

KLM Flight to Bangkok BC discount fare - row 2 / 3 not available. I am Silver member.
When I book the full fare row 2 and 3 are available.

Now I have booked seat 1A and 1C
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
So 2nd and 3rd row available on top of the other rows.
Do you have FB status?

I can imagine they want to limit non-status low-fare passengers to what could be perceived as "worse" seats. Bulkhead rows or close to galley/toilets?
Yes, I am FB Plat.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
Yes, I am FB Plat.
And I am FB Gold so it would seem then that it would only be Plats who are given access to the rows 2-3 seats on lower fares.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB platinum, BAEC bronze
That explains why, on my coming flight to YVR (Z class, FB Gold) I cannot choose a "G" seat in row 3 which looks available on the KVStool map (I now have a C seat, but in a 2-2-2 config I usually try to get the aisle in the central section (D or G seat). The question is: what happens at OLCI ? Will the full map be available to everybody ?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure about the fare bucket, but lowest available fare.

Johan
Attached Images   
Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Logged in?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Logged in?
Yep.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.