Wiki Posts
Search

Casual racism at AMS - Part II

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Casual Racism by KLM Flight Attendant at AMS

Heading to a D-gate this afternoon, I passed a male and female KL flight attendant standing at the top of the stairs to the waiting area. I can't be 100% sure (stopping to continue eavesdropping would not have been very polite) but they were apparently discussing their Asian colleagues. The female FA said that she much preferred the Chinese to those "kut-Japanners met hun halfvolle vluchten" (those f*cking Japanese with half-full flights).

Charming!

Johan

Last edited by johan rebel; Jan 30, 2018 at 12:40 pm
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:57 am

This is less "racism at ams" and more "a private conversation between people you shouldn't have been listening to and lack context for".
Old Jan 28, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by CyBeR
This is less "racism at ams" and more "a private conversation between people you shouldn't have been listening to and lack context for".
Conversations in a public place are hardly private. If you want to vocalise such revolting views be prepared for the consequences.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CyBeR
Hey, this was at AMS, she was a KLM employee in uniform standing right at the top of the stairs leading to a gate, and the comments were of a derogatory nature. A large number of passengers (the people who pay her salary) walked straight past at a distance of not even one meter. Some of them may even have understood Dutch. That would include me. What on earth would you suggest I should have done? Put my fingers in my ears? Wear earplugs every time I pass through Schiphol?

That FA should have had the sense to shut up, or voice her opinions elsewhere. She chose to let me and everybody else who walked past know what she thought of her Japanese colleagues. I was not impressed.

Johan
Xizm and hugolover like this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:01 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Do we really need another one of these threads? The last one didn't go well. At the very least perhaps title it 'casual racism by employee' rather than dragging an entire airport into it.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Heading to a D-gate this afternoon, I passed a male and female KL flight attendant standing at the top of the stairs to the waiting area. I can't be 100% sure (stopping to continue eavesdropping would not have been very polite) but they were apparently discussing their Asian colleagues. The female FA said that she much preferred the Chinese to those "kut-Japanners met hun halfvolle vluchten" (those f*cking Japanese with half-full flights).

Charming!

Johan
You cant be 100% sure but you will post it anyway? How strange.

Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm 100% sure of what I heard. Hence the quotation marks.

I'm also well aware that KL's Asian FAs are not very popular with some of their Dutch colleagues. Their unions view them as competition, not colleagues, and have in the past repeatedly done their level best to keep their numbers at a minimum.

Johan
hugolover likes this.

Last edited by johan rebel; Jan 30, 2018 at 12:47 pm Reason: typos
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by caliform
Do we really need another one of these threads? The last one didn't go well. At the very least perhaps title it 'casual racism by employee' rather than dragging an entire airport into it.
Thought same thing. The post is just repetitive. Be prepared for Part VI
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by caliform
At the very least perhaps title it 'casual racism by employee' rather than dragging an entire airport into it.
Can't change the thread title, adding a title to the first post was the best I could do for you. With pleasure, of course.

Johan
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:16 am

I'm 100% sure of what I heard. Hence the quotation marks.

I'm also well aware that KL's Asian FAs are not very popular with some of their Dutch colleagues. Their unions view them as competition, not colleagues, and have in the past repeatedly done their level best to keep their numbers at a minimum.

Johan
So you are now 100% certain (original post said you were not 100% certain) they were involved in a racist conversation but rather than have words with the people you heard being racist or report them to their superiors you come on to a flyer forum and make a post about it. How strange.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Now, there's a statement that requires explanation and clarification.

What do you mean by "Asian FAs"?

Are we talking purely (and this has to be asked, given the title chosen for the thread) about ethnicity?

Do the "unions" not allow "Asians" to become members, seeing as they are the "competition"?

Or are we talking about staff hired from/based in countries other than the Netherlands, and hence working under different contracts [if so, why refer to the difference in terms of ethnicity]?
Billyfergus likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: FB Gold
Oh for goodness sake, is this the level that this forum has sunk to now? Someone heard a snippet of other people’s conversation and rushed to enlighten us with their interpretation of it. Ooh, you’ll never guess what I overheard on the way here today…..

Apparently, somewhere in the world on the 27th of January a racist remark was made during a private conversation. Who’d have thought it? I wonder how many times that did actually happen somewhere in the world on the 27th of January. Let’s throw in sexism, homophobia, ageism, all discrimination, how many times does that occur each day? But apparently this is important enough to start a new thread and link it to AMS and KLM. How many international airports in the world have never been the setting for the utterance of a discriminatory remark during a private conversation?

And in any case what is one supposed to do with this information that was deemed so important, other than express displeasure that discriminatory remarks are made, wherever that may be in the world, in airports and not in airports, and by people who work for airlines, and people who don’t work for airlines?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by AJCNL
Oh for goodness sake, is this the level that this forum has sunk to now? Someone heard a snippet of other people’s conversation and rushed to enlighten us with their interpretation of it. Ooh, you’ll never guess what I overheard on the way here today…..

Apparently, somewhere in the world on the 27th of January a racist remark was made during a private conversation. Who’d have thought it? I wonder how many times that did actually happen somewhere in the world on the 27th of January. Let’s throw in sexism, homophobia, ageism, all discrimination, how many times does that occur each day? But apparently this is important enough to start a new thread and link it to AMS and KLM. How many international airports in the world have never been the setting for the utterance of a discriminatory remark during a private conversation?

And in any case what is one supposed to do with this information that was deemed so important, other than express displeasure that discriminatory remarks are made, wherever that may be in the world, in airports and not in airports, and by people who work for airlines, and people who don’t work for airlines?
I couldn't agree more, spot on. That said, the thing I find most amusing is the people those sort of threads normally attract, users who do not contribute to the AF/KL forum(s) in normal circumstances (i.e. when it comes to discussing about miles, products and the likes, in essence what FT is actually about, dare I say), yet you would see them appearing as soon as any reference is made to politics/racism (amongst others) so that they can post their let's change the world slash finger pointing's sort-of statements (@johan rebel - this is not directed to you at all). Lastly and as a reminder to everyone, there's an OMNI's forum on FlyerTalk which could easily welcome such discussions and perhaps the moderators may want to consider transferring content and thread altogether accordingly over to that part of the world.

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Jan 31, 2018 at 3:21 am
Old Jan 31, 2018, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
I couldn't agree more, spot on. That said, the thing I find most amusing is the people those sort of threads normally attract, users who do not contribute to the AF/KL forum(s) in normal circumstances (i.e. when it comes to discussing about miles, products and the likes, in essence what FT is actually about), yet you would see them appearing as soon as any reference is made to politics or racism so that they can post their let's change the world sort-of statements (@johan rebel - this is not directed to you at all) Lastly and as a reminder to everyone, there's an OMNI's forum on FlyerTalk which could easily welcome such discussions.

G
Must be aimed at me then. I am sitting at gate D12 waiting on my flight to Dublin and this is the 11th day in January I have flown via Schiphol. I have had approx 500 landings / take offs from this airport (as a passenger) over the years so quite experienced in this location. During this time I have only witnessed good manners and civility from the KLM employees and they have all been a credit to their employers.

If I was to witness any racist comments or behaviour I would have no hesitation in taking it up with those making these comments and their superiors. I would not be coming on a frequent flyer forum telling people that I think I heard some racist comments but did nothing about it.

Great_circle likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Billyfergus
Must be aimed at me then.
Not at all, your statement was spot on and resumed what I basically thought concerning the matter as a whole ^

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.