Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Code Share' it's a joke and passenger inconvenience.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
how much lower?
Cannot remember exact difference but it was over £400/Person

I've got it down to £1470 on your given dates, but with long layovers and 4 flights per direction on a hotch-potch of airlines (CWL-DUB(BE), DUB-LGW(FR), LGW-OAK(DY), OAK-ONT(WN); ONT-LAS(WN), LAS-FLL(NK), FLL-BOG(NK), BOG-GRU(JJ); GRU-LIS(TP), LIS-STR(TP), STR-DUB(FR), DUB-CWL(BE)

My given dates price was for 2 People 'Me and the Missus' so each full trip ticket with Delta was £1426.50.
I guess we could get One Bottle of Bushmills to help us along on your Itinerary and then it might be as expensive as your ticket! LOL!!!

If you could live with LAX instead of ONT, you can get it for only £1243 and with slightly fewer stops (CWL-CDG(BE), CDG-LAX(DY); LAX-MEX(Y4), MEX-LIM(4O), LIM-SCL(H2), SCL-GRU(O6); GRU-OPO(TP), OPO-ORY(TP), ORY-DUB(TO), DUB-CWL(BE).

Nah......We came into LAX 2 years ago from Canada (Calgary) and it was a Nightmare!!!

Of course, the blindingly obvious thing to do would be for you to depart from London, where an all-Star Alliance ticket (Air Canada and United, only two stops max on each leg) can be yours for only £930

Why should I have all the STRESS &
Aggravation of getting through LHR that can take 3 HOURS (That's London Heathrow)
when I have a local airport with around 40 minutes to get checked in, clear security and immigration and be on our way?
That is of course before we reach AMS and the Body Scanners followed by the 'Pat Down' before you can collect your belt, trousers and sandals after travelling through in just your swimming costume and T Shirt! LOL!
Oh dear the joys of flying!!!

P.s. 6 Times so far going around the World, once the wrong way in 6 days on what they called a 'Business Trip' but flying Coach, leaves it's mark, while on a different trip, getting our luggage 'robbed' of a video battery charger as it went through security in LAX and having to spend 4 hours on the 'Dog and Bone' (Phone) in New Zealand making the claim with the Airline still rankers!

Trust me on these two occasions for us we have no option but to go by plane otherwise now I much prefer to travel overland with a good 4x4. ^^
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Traveller11
So.......The Delta Route/Tickets have been purchased, while interestingly I now have 1 Flight Confirmation Number from Delta for the complete journey and a different Flight Confirmation number with KLM while surprisingly it includes 'Leg 2' which KLM said they could not accommodate.
Creating a PNR is one thing, ticketing it is a completely different thing where all the different restrictions comes into play.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
I still don't get what the problem is. You got your ticket and you saved money.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Why should I have all the STRESS &
Aggravation of getting through LHR that can take 3 HOURS (That's London Heathrow)when I have a local airport with around 40 minutes to get checked in, clear security and immigration and be on our way?
Because it saves you a further £1000. The ticket I posted above is only £930.

That is of course before we reach AMS and the Body Scanners followed by the 'Pat Down' before you can collect your belt, trousers and sandals after travelling through in just your swimming costume and T Shirt! LOL!
You have no security check whatsoever in AMS, as you would be transferring from non-Schengen to non-Schengen....not that flying from LHR would require you to back-track to AMS. You would be flying directly to YYZ on Air Canada on that cheaper ticket...
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
Creating a PNR is one thing, ticketing it is a completely different thing where all the different restrictions comes into play.
What's a 'PNR'?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:50 am

" Has someone not paid the electricity bill between here and the USA, or do you really want a KLM Frequent Flyer to put his business elsewhere? "

I'd be glad not to have you as a customer. You do understand that there are actual, real people on the other end, right?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:52 am

What's a 'PNR'?
If you click on the Glossary link at the bottom, and go to P, you will find PNR, along with other useful acronyms commonly used around here
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

..So.......The Delta Route/Tickets have been purchased, while interestingly I now have 1 Flight Confirmation Number from Delta for the complete journey and a different Flight Confirmation number with KLM while surprisingly it includes 'Leg 2' which KLM said they could not accommodate.
What's a 'PNR'?
Passenger Name record. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_name_record
Probably what you refer to as "Flight Confirmation number"--> "Booking Reference ‘JWYQB7"

When a ticket that has multiple airlines each airline will have its own PNR. Often the passenger does not see these or know about these.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Collective reply as no further replies will be forthcoming:

irishguy28: Sorry Delta Itinerary Tickets already purchased, while 3 weeks ago in AMS transferring to our flight back to CWL as we came in from Kazakhstan it seems that the rules in Security in AMS have changed as we and a lot of other passengers off different flights were herded by security through the the full pre-flight security checks of as a Security Officer closely examined another passengers duty free bottle of alcohol in its DF see through bag, before it went through x-ray.

Mwenenzi: Thanks for the much clearer definition of PNR and that fact that passengers don't get to see it.

GiveMeEggs: No comment

This is my last input/reply.

There is also a rule restricting the number of replies you can post per 24 hours on this forum which I hit yesterday.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:38 am

Collective reply as no further replies will be forthcoming:

irishguy28: Sorry Delta Itinerary Tickets already purchased, while 3 weeks ago in AMS transferring to our flight back to CWL as we came in from Kazakhstan it seems that the rules in Security in AMS have changed as we and a lot of other passengers off different flights were herded by security through the the full pre-flight security checks of as a Security Officer closely examined another passengers duty free bottle of alcohol in its DF see through bag, before it went through x-ray.
As you won’t be replying, this is for the benefit of others.

You have to rescreen because you are coming from Kazakhstan (a country not cleared unlike the US, UK and EU), not as a general rule. I fly Kazakhstan Amsterdam UK and return regularly. Never screened coming back.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Canada is another "trusted" origin, as I believe so is the UAE.

On a UK-to-US (or vice versa) transfer at AMS, no security [unless there's an intelligence-driven spotcheck, or just a piece of "security theatre" being performed that day] and no passport check.

It's no surprise that Kazakhstan isn't on the list of "trusted" origins.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 3:50 am

Your answer is the key to this discussion.

It's not because flights are there and flight numbers, codeshare or otherwise exist, that you can just slap them on a ticket.

The concepts of Fares, Fare Rules and, in this discussion, ROUTING RULES, seems to be utterly unbeknown to some.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by HB-IWC
The concepts of Fares, Fare Rules and, in this discussion, ROUTING RULES, seems to be utterly unbeknown to some.
Never let a lack of understanding the rules and facts stand in the way of a good rant...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.