Wiki Posts
Search

KLM IRROPS urgent advice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
KLM IRROPS urgent advice

Booked a flight LUX-AMS-BIO for a friend of mine on KL1740 connecting to KL1687 in C using DL miles. Got an email to say KL1740 has been cancelled tomorrow morning with no reason why (seats still purchasable online). Called KLM who said it was cancelled due to weather?? And they can only rebook in award class and then went on to offload from KL1740 and put on the 08:15 flight (2hr25 earlier) without my permission.. I explained my friend can't actually make it to the airport this early and they say there is nothing they can do.

Im just waiting to speak to a supervisor.. there are other options with C seats on AF or KL later in the day but presumably no award seats and they are unwilling to help. Wishing I had just left this to the airport because now she will turn up at the expected time and they will say she missed her flight... Any recommendations??
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Hang up, call again?

If they cancel the flight they should be able to rebook on any reasonable alternative. Sounds like you got a clueless agent.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

They're transferring my to flying blue now. No supervisor available. I explained to her that in IRROPS I should be put on the next suitable alternative regardless of fare code. She won't accept that. Will HUACA if no luck now. The problem is she has now offloaded her from LUX-AMS so booking just shows as AMS-BIO which will cause even more problems at the airport.

Edit: No help from them they just transferred me to the closed CS department. Now trying to call USA line.

Last edited by pogonation; Sep 26, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by pogonation
They're transferring my to flying blue now. No supervisor available. I explained to her that in IRROPS I should be put on the next suitable alternative regardless of fare code. She won't accept that. Will HUACA if no luck now. The problem is she has now offloaded her from LUX-AMS so booking just shows as AMS-BIO which will cause even more problems at the airport.

Edit: No help from them they just transferred me to the closed CS department. Now trying to call USA line.
Ridiculous. I hope by now you got it resolved. The other avenue to try is Twitter.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the initial segment has been deleted and the earlier flight is impossible anyway, can the friend take a train from LUX to AMS in time for the AMS departure? How about a train the evening before the flight?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:24 am

Called KLM who said it was cancelled due to weather??
Yes, it is rather foggy this morning in AMS, foggy enough for the Schiphol app to send out a notification of delays, inevitably in such cases there would also be cancellations, such as the KL1739/KL1740 service to/from LUX

And they can only rebook in award class and then went on to offload from KL1740 and put on the 08:15 flight (2hr25 earlier) without my permission.. I explained my friend can't actually make it to the airport this early and they say there is nothing they can do.
Keep in mind that KL will have many pax to reboot, both for the cancelled LUX-AMS flight, as well as other flight cancellations, usually in such conditions they tend to book PAX connecting in AMS on flights not going at all through AMS to avoid the issue altogether, nonetheless you can't really force them to put you on a specific service, you are right in saying that booking class shouldn't matter, but there might just not be other seats available.

The only recourse if you do not accept the re-routing would be to cancel for a full refund, no compensation is due if the IRROPS are due to weather.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:32 am

Use Facebook or Twitter DM

I would hang up try again till you have it fixed or try social media team.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Never mind. There was a fog advisory for Monday, but nothing on the website for today...
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Never mind. There was a fog advisory for Monday, but nothing on the website for today...
I don't know about you but I couldn't see the street from my window this morning.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses, after 3.5 hours on the phone finally a US based ticketing agent put her on the evening flight with KL. Was a lot of hassle that really wasn't needed. It seems like a lot of flights arriving around 11-12 this morning have been cancelled/delayed so weather seems a legitimate reason. Let's hope I just got bad agents and this isn't standard practice for KL
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
I don't know about you but I couldn't see the street from my window this morning.
Yeah, same down here, don't recall any such fog on Monday but was surprised at how much there was this morning!

my first thought was...there's going to be a few disgruntled KLM passengers today!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Yeah, same down here, don't recall any such fog on Monday but was surprised at how much there was this morning!

my first thought was...there's going to be a few disgruntled KLM passengers today!
51 colleagues departing from Schiphol today, and 38 flying in (only one on KL). The former all flying this afternoon or evening, so they should be pretty much OK. Most of the latter on longhauls that arrived over half an hour early, a handful landed just under an hour late on a shorthaul.

Given the mess this morning they can't complain.

Johan
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by f4free
I would hang up try again till you have it fixed or try social media team.
I messaged AF's facebook last week due to IRROPS and... still waiting for a reply. Is KL's any better?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:40 am
Original Poster

An update.. new flight KL1746 delayed so missing the last flight AMS-BIO so has been rebooked for tomorrow morning. Anyone know how to find reason for delay so I can advise to claim the compensation?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:48 am

An update.. new flight KL1746 delayed so missing the last flight AMS-BIO so has been rebooked for tomorrow morning. Anyone know how to find reason for delay so I can advise to claim the compensation?
Probably doesn't matter. They will claim weather affected operations anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.