Wiki Posts
Search

Can Luggage be checked though to final

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Platinum AA, Silver United
Can Luggage be checked though to final

I have two separate record locators all with skyteam can baggage be checked through to final destination. One was reward travel and one is not.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
As a general rule, no. Luggage is only through-checked to the final destination of the ticket (subject to the usual exceptions, i.e. clearing luggage at the point of entry to the USA, retrieving luggage on overnight stopovers, etc).

You *may* have your request granted if you ask at check in, but you should be aware that you have no entitlement to have your luggage checked through on separate tickets, even on the same carrier.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-f...-pnrs-ams.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...ervations.html
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Thank you! I am actually flying through Amsterdam question is answered.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
I have not had trouble getting luggage checked through on KL/DL/AF, checking in with either of these three airlines and connecting (separate ticket) on a different one of the three airlines. Just ask nicely and have the itinerary and boarding passes for the separate ticket handy upon check-in for the first flight.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:43 pm

I have also had no problem doing this a couple of times, both times were checking in at outstations, connecting through AMS. Didn't even have to ask them to do it. Travelling in C probably helped, though..
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
Didn't even have to ask them to do it.
If you didn't ask, how would they know your intention of travelling onwards on a separate ticket? (Telling a check-in agent about, or showing them a printout of, a second itinerary is asking)
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:37 am

Good question. I presume that when the check in agent enters one's personal info into the system it must come up with all itineraries that are available for check in? ie: within the next 24 hours? Didn't have boarding passes or anything at all printed on both occasions. Simply walked up to the check in counter with my passport.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
I have also had it offered without asking, agent saw next flight on screen and asked if I wanted bags checked through
Old Sep 10, 2017, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by ninjalad
I have also had it offered without asking, agent saw next flight on screen and asked if I wanted bags checked through
it's the way it should always be because it has become so easy for the agents to do it. With most systems now, they don't even need the tickets info of the 2nd flight.
But unfortunately, the reality is far from this, as the airlines are more and more reluctant to cooperate and forget about the passenger needs.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Well it didn't work asked nicely and the agent from Alitalia said no. Travel started in Palermo with connection in Rome. All with skyteam but separate record locator. In Rome Alitalia agents were not pleasant and it seemed everything was a big inconvenience for them...
Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by jsc708
Well it didn't work asked nicely and the agent from Alitalia said no. Travel started in Palermo with connection in Rome. All with skyteam but separate record locator. In Rome Alitalia agents were not pleasant and it seemed everything was a big inconvenience for them...
Shame on them . But with AZ and their current problem and lack of future, there's clearly not a lot to expect from them
Old May 26, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Sorry to drag this up... but will KL thru check bags on separate tickets? Second ticket is non Skyteam.
Old May 26, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
Not to a non Skyteam flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.