Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bidding for Upgrade - Flying Blue Points Earning?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Bidding for Upgrade - Flying Blue Points Earning?

Hi All,

We are flying with KLM in a few days and currently have an option to bid for upgrades. If we bid and win, what fare class will we get for earning points? We are currently on a very cheap fare (V), which I think earns about 25% points.

Will winning this now boost us to 100% (or more)? The terms of the bid winning says the following:

The conditions of your original Economy Class ticket type still apply.
I know for OLCI buy-ups that your points etc will stay the same. OLCI is usually a bit cheaper than the bids, so will hold out for them depending on the answer
Old Jun 24, 2017, 11:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Bids should be cheaper than OLCI, actually. Sure, you can over-bid, but they start a lot lower.

If you have a V fare you will earn V fare miles. Nothing changes but the seat and food (and lounge, Skypriority access).

Sometimes, there's a 'bug' where your reissued ticket does earn more miles. When this happens just shut up and enjoy it, but don't count on it happening
Old Jun 24, 2017, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
thanks for the answer!

Originally Posted by caliform
Bids should be cheaper than OLCI, actually. Sure, you can over-bid, but they start a lot lower.
Its PTY-AMS, and I have seen OLCI at $250! Current starting bid is 329 EUR, not bad for a 10 hour flight

Sometimes, there's a 'bug' where your reissued ticket does earn more miles. When this happens just shut up and enjoy it, but don't count on it happening
understood
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
thanks for the answer!

Its PTY-AMS, and I have seen OLCI at $250! Current starting bid is 329 EUR, not bad for a 10 hour flight
The $250 is very low. It suggests to me you already paid for eco comfort? This way its more to the normal +-330euro for an upgrade if a flight is overbooked ..
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EvD86
The $250 is very low. It suggests to me you already paid for eco comfort? This way its more to the normal +-330euro for an upgrade if a flight is overbooked ..
$250 is very low, it was on a friends ticket last year - he was at the very back, no eco comfort. I have already purchased eco comfort for our upcoming trip, $47.88 per person. I understand that I get this refunded if I win the bid, or that it will come off the top of any OLCI buy-up offer
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:19 am
Original Poster

my min bid of 329 EUR didnt cut it - it was outbid (3x by the same person, 409, 419, 429). 90% sure that this person didnt get an upgrade either, as the inventory was 5 seats before and after the auction closed.

got no OLCI offer too, which I figured I might have as there were 5 seats open. Inventory was 1 seat overall a few hours before the flight. Looks like 4 people purchased/upgraded once OLCI opened
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
How can you tell that it was the same person?

Why would the same person bid against themselves (409, 419, 429)?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28

That's the way it looks in the interface, if I remember correctly they show something like 'bidder 1', 'bidder 2' etc.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
$250 is very low, it was on a friends ticket last year - he was at the very back, no eco comfort. I have already purchased eco comfort for our upcoming trip, $47.88 per person. I understand that I get this refunded if I win the bid, or that it will come off the top of any OLCI buy-up offer
Not sure how it works for bidding, though the deduction at OLCI is correct indeed!
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by EvD86
Not sure how it works for bidding, though the deduction at OLCI is correct indeed!
The bidding system is separate, so if you bid and win then you can get eco comfort refunded. It's not automatic though, you need to fill out a form.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:46 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by CyBeR
The bidding system is separate, so if you bid and win then you can get eco comfort refunded. It's not automatic though, you need to fill out a form.
Huh, it was automatic for me last time I won it.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 4:46 pm

Huh, it was automatic for me last time I won it.
Maybe they've changed that? I've never tried *not* filling out the form but more importantly I'm pretty sure it said to do that somewhere if you won the bid and had already paid for a seat.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I am not sure, but I was automatically charged the bid minus the EC fee.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 4:38 am
Original Poster

The interface said 4 bids, 2 bidders (I was the original bid)

no clue, but I am also disappointed that people can put in fake bids (set an "unconfirmed" bid), even a few hours before it closes. Seems to easy to run up bids. I wonder if the 409/419/429 person was to put in unconfirmed bids, and there were seats available to bidding winners, if when the auction closes, I would win the upgrade, due to it removing all the unconfirmed bids?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:06 pm

I am not sure, but I was automatically charged the bid minus the EC fee.
That's *definitely* different then. The last time I bid, I was charged the exact amount I bid (despite having already paid for EC, which was refunded after filling in the form.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.