FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Bidding for Upgrade - Flying Blue Points Earning? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/1849875-bidding-upgrade-flying-blue-points-earning.html)

pmarrsouth Jun 24, 2017 10:25 am

Bidding for Upgrade - Flying Blue Points Earning?

Hi All,

We are flying with KLM in a few days and currently have an option to bid for upgrades. If we bid and win, what fare class will we get for earning points? We are currently on a very cheap fare (V), which I think earns about 25% points.

Will winning this now boost us to 100% (or more)? The terms of the bid winning says the following:

The conditions of your original Economy Class ticket type still apply.
I know for OLCI buy-ups that your points etc will stay the same. OLCI is usually a bit cheaper than the bids, so will hold out for them depending on the answer

caliform Jun 24, 2017 11:12 am

Bids should be cheaper than OLCI, actually. Sure, you can over-bid, but they start a lot lower.

If you have a V fare you will earn V fare miles. Nothing changes but the seat and food (and lounge, Skypriority access).

Sometimes, there's a 'bug' where your reissued ticket does earn more miles. When this happens just shut up and enjoy it, but don't count on it happening :)

pmarrsouth Jun 24, 2017 11:36 am

thanks for the answer!

Originally Posted by caliform (Post 28481777)
Bids should be cheaper than OLCI, actually. Sure, you can over-bid, but they start a lot lower.

Its PTY-AMS, and I have seen OLCI at $250! Current starting bid is 329 EUR, not bad for a 10 hour flight

Originally Posted by caliform (Post 28481777)
Sometimes, there's a 'bug' where your reissued ticket does earn more miles. When this happens just shut up and enjoy it, but don't count on it happening :)

understood ;)

EvD86 Jun 25, 2017 2:22 am

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth (Post 28481819)
thanks for the answer!

Its PTY-AMS, and I have seen OLCI at $250! Current starting bid is 329 EUR, not bad for a 10 hour flight

The $250 is very low. It suggests to me you already paid for eco comfort? This way its more to the normal +-330euro for an upgrade if a flight is overbooked ..

pmarrsouth Jun 25, 2017 8:28 am

Originally Posted by EvD86 (Post 28483593)
The $250 is very low. It suggests to me you already paid for eco comfort? This way its more to the normal +-330euro for an upgrade if a flight is overbooked ..

$250 is very low, it was on a friends ticket last year - he was at the very back, no eco comfort. I have already purchased eco comfort for our upcoming trip, $47.88 per person. I understand that I get this refunded if I win the bid, or that it will come off the top of any OLCI buy-up offer

pmarrsouth Jun 29, 2017 7:19 am

my min bid of 329 EUR didnt cut it - it was outbid (3x by the same person, 409, 419, 429). 90% sure that this person didnt get an upgrade either, as the inventory was 5 seats before and after the auction closed.

got no OLCI offer too, which I figured I might have as there were 5 seats open. Inventory was 1 seat overall a few hours before the flight. Looks like 4 people purchased/upgraded once OLCI opened

irishguy28 Jun 29, 2017 7:42 am

How can you tell that it was the same person?

Why would the same person bid against themselves (409, 419, 429)?

Ditto Jun 29, 2017 10:43 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 28499753)

That's the way it looks in the interface, if I remember correctly they show something like 'bidder 1', 'bidder 2' etc.

EvD86 Jun 30, 2017 1:04 am

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth (Post 28484281)
$250 is very low, it was on a friends ticket last year - he was at the very back, no eco comfort. I have already purchased eco comfort for our upcoming trip, $47.88 per person. I understand that I get this refunded if I win the bid, or that it will come off the top of any OLCI buy-up offer

Not sure how it works for bidding, though the deduction at OLCI is correct indeed!

CyBeR Jun 30, 2017 7:27 am

Originally Posted by EvD86 (Post 28503317)
Not sure how it works for bidding, though the deduction at OLCI is correct indeed!

The bidding system is separate, so if you bid and win then you can get eco comfort refunded. It's not automatic though, you need to fill out a form.

caliform Jun 30, 2017 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by CyBeR (Post 28504088)
The bidding system is separate, so if you bid and win then you can get eco comfort refunded. It's not automatic though, you need to fill out a form.

Huh, it was automatic for me last time I won it.

CyBeR Jun 30, 2017 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by caliform (Post 28505765)
Huh, it was automatic for me last time I won it.

Maybe they've changed that? I've never tried *not* filling out the form but more importantly I'm pretty sure it said to do that somewhere if you won the bid and had already paid for a seat.

caliform Jun 30, 2017 7:09 pm

I am not sure, but I was automatically charged the bid minus the EC fee.

pmarrsouth Jul 1, 2017 4:38 am

The interface said 4 bids, 2 bidders (I was the original bid)

no clue, but I am also disappointed that people can put in fake bids (set an "unconfirmed" bid), even a few hours before it closes. Seems to easy to run up bids. I wonder if the 409/419/429 person was to put in unconfirmed bids, and there were seats available to bidding winners, if when the auction closes, I would win the upgrade, due to it removing all the unconfirmed bids?

CyBeR Jul 4, 2017 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by caliform (Post 28506441)
I am not sure, but I was automatically charged the bid minus the EC fee.

That's *definitely* different then. The last time I bid, I was charged the exact amount I bid (despite having already paid for EC, which was refunded after filling in the form.)