Wiki Posts
Search

Overnight transit in AMS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM and 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Overnight transit in AMS

In a couple of weeks, I am taking two KLM flights on the same ticket: a late evening flight MAN-AMS, and an early morning flight the next day AMS-PRG. I am currently booked for that night at the Mercure hotel inside AMS security at Schiphol Terminal.

I was planning to take my carry-on on the MAN-AMS flight, but I see that the plane is an ERJ 190, which means my roll-aboard will probably not fit on the plane. I am wondering how (or if) I can do these flights without having to leave the AMS security zone that night to pick up my bag. Is it possible in Europe to check a bag at the gate and pick it up airside, like in the US? Not sure if KL would check the bag through from MAN all the way to PRG, which would be fine as well.

Just wondering if there is an issue here which would make it safer to stay outside the terminal at AMS that night....thanks.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
If your bag is too big to fit into the overhead bins it will be marked in MAN for delivery at aircraft in AMS. All E190s in AMS arriving from non-Schengen destinations (such as MAN) will be disembarked via the stairs, so that's where you'll pick up your carry-on again.

The overhead bins in E190s are pretty spacious too, so it may not be an issue at all.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Uncle Lars
In a couple of weeks, I am taking two KLM flights on the same ticket: a late evening flight MAN-AMS, and an early morning flight the next day AMS-PRG. I am currently booked for that night at the Mercure hotel inside AMS security at Schiphol Terminal.
Good choice, I did that recently. Now I need to try the yotel as a point of comparison!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! Looking forward to checking out this hotel (I did this transiting Seoul many years back, actually liked the "capsulish" feeling...)
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:46 pm

Looks like you've got it sorted, but just for future reference... if you check your bag KLM will keep it overnight, so there is no need to go landside to collect and re-check it.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Just wanted to log in my experience and thank you for your help.

The Mercure was clean and modern, with a lovely rain shower. It's also right across from the KLM lounge. However, there is massive construction at AMS which resulted in massive noise, I mean like jackhammers, starting at 2 AM. I would not stay here again till this construction is over, sadly.

One tidbit: since I couldn't sleep, I went to the KLM lounge at 4:45 AM upon opening. I saw the lounge ladies taking drinks out of the hands of some young folks who seemed to be there after some massive all-night partying...

Thanks again.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Looks like you've got it sorted, but just for future reference... if you check your bag KLM will keep it overnight, so there is no need to go landside to collect and re-check it.
In case the usage of "will" in the above gives any future readers the impression that this is mandatory, it is not; the default is that KLM will check your bags only as far as the location of an overnight layover; if that happens to be AMS or CDG you may request them to check it onwards for the following day's flight (s).

[In that case, show a ground agent the luggage tag well in advance of boarding to satisfy yourself that the bag has not been forgotten. This applies particularly for CDG!)

http://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/prepare_for_travel/baggage/baggage_allowance/index.htm#p11
Old May 17, 2017, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Uncle Lars
However, there is massive construction at AMS which resulted in massive noise, I mean like jackhammers, starting at 2 AM. I would not stay here again till this construction is over, sadly.
This has been the case intermittently for years now. However, the Mercure has always given me advance notice with the option to cancel, or reaccommodated me in the Sheraton at no extra cost.

Johan
Old May 24, 2017, 10:11 am

In case the usage of "will" in the above gives any future readers the impression that this is mandatory, it is not; the default is that KLM will check your bags only as far as the location of an overnight layover; if that happens to be AMS or CDG you may request them to check it onwards for the following day's flight (s).
Not my experience - and I do quite a lot of overnight transits at AMS.

A few years ago they used to ask whether or not I need my checked baggage in Amsterdam, and tag it accordingly. These days they just tag it to my final destination, without asking. I'm sure they would short-check it if I asked them to, but the default now seems to be to check it all the way through. That's been my experience in the last couple of years, with no exceptions.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bump - may I reopen for quick questions?

I have an overnight layover in AMS coming up. Arriving around 8 pm intra Schengen, leaving to USA 9.40 the next morning. All KLM Business. Staying at the Sheraton, intending to go into central Amsterdam for the evening.
My question is how early should I plan on getting to Security on a Friday morning? Any significant time advantage to checking my bag through vs. carrying it on (I'd have a briefcase in either case)?
Thanks for any tips.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus, Avis Preferred
I would aim to arrive at the airport between 7:40 and 8:00. If you check your bag through, you don't have to recheck it on Friday morning, so you'll be saving a few minutes.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyteamEP
I would aim to arrive at the airport between 7:40 and 8:00. If you check your bag through, you don't have to recheck it on Friday morning, so you'll be saving a few minutes.
Thanks. Two hours was my default plan. I've arrived at AMS and transited through, but never originated there and wanted to check about the typical weekday morning security wait. I'll double check with staff the evening I arrive, just to make sure there isn't a special circumstance that day.
Cheers.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:57 am

For morning departures, I actually walk over to Departures 3 for the security check. After the passport check, you are right in front of the KLM Lounge, so no additional walking. In the morning, security 3 is very quiet.

So ideal route: drop of baggage at departures 2, walk land side to departures 3, clear security and passport check there and enter the lounge.
Wangja and rickg523 like this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Another user name to remember
For morning departures, I actually walk over to Departures 3 for the security check. After the passport check, you are right in front of the KLM Lounge, so no additional walking. In the morning, security 3 is very quiet.

So ideal route: drop of baggage at departures 2, walk land side to departures 3, clear security and passport check there and enter the lounge.
That's excellent. Thanks for this tip, which I doubt I'd find anywhere else than on FT.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.