FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - up to March 2022 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/1821396-mess-ams-today-up-march-2022-a.html)

Fabo.sk Feb 18, 2022 5:31 am

Currently 30 gusting 40 knots. Strong wind, but not that bad. Looks like the worst should be at 3-5pm.

Xandrios Feb 18, 2022 5:44 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert (Post 34002312)
Why not call KLM and see if you can just fly today - if any of the flights to your destination is operating?

That would be a good approach but unfortunately today's flight is an evening flight and would require me to overnight at the destination due to late arrival. If that flight actually operates today (Departure early evening, the eye of the storm) :p

Ive travelled down to AMS as well and will overnight there. As they seem to be trying to operate today's flight I have good hopes that they will tomorrow morning as well. Both flights are fully booked.

Around 1PM there was a rather long line at the ticketing desk - stretching until midway the corridor to terminal 3. Long line...but by far not as bad (yet) as I have seen in with previous events like these.

Fabo.sk Feb 18, 2022 7:44 am

40 gusting 57 knots, meaning over 100km/h gusts now.

Not much activity at AMS. KLM from Barcelona just landed on the second try, easyJet from EDI has to try again.

A small number of aircraft, are readying to depart. A KLM 737 to Munich also just departed. Must have been an interesting one against such a wind.

dkeng Feb 18, 2022 9:33 am

Looks like the Oostbaan has been in use for arrivals most of the day, that’s always a fun experience.

im waiting now to see if I make it home tomorrow, where the storm is due to hit my current location…

curiousexplorer Feb 18, 2022 9:53 am

Quite good that KLM cancelled flights proactively instead of having thousands stranded in the airport today. However it's a bit tricky that they're not sending emails or notifications when a flight is cancelled, I only found out from using the Schiphol app alerts and my partner never got any notification either. Was lucky to get rebooked quickly, now let's see what tomorrow brings. Both flights seem to be fully booked already, so it should be fun tomorrow in the airport and lounge. :D

dkeng Feb 18, 2022 9:58 am

From my experience indeed you can often spot a cancellation on Schiphol.nl earlier. KL will send the cancellation and the confirmed auto-rebooking notices simultaneously, I guess this takes a bit of time to sort out.

bioyuki Feb 18, 2022 10:41 am

How are things looking for the forecast for Eunice to clear? Is it still 01:00 to 02:00? Agree Saturday should be an interesting day at Schiphol and at the Crown Lounge

jerry_greece Feb 18, 2022 3:40 pm

If you fly on Saturday there would still be no trains in the morning in the whole country (that includes Schiphol). It will take time to inspect the tracks.

HadesNL Feb 19, 2022 12:23 am

Yesterday afternoon/evening it was quite spooky in Amsterdam, Eunice made quite some waves in the Amstel river, the attic windows were shaking and i thought they would blow out of the hinges.

Source: https://nos.nl/artikel/2417991-vanoc...or-stormschade

Today, at least 420 out of the 1000 flights are canceled at AMS.
if wind comes from the western direction, there are less takeoff/landing lanes available

Also very restricted train services:
www.ns.nl
https://www.nu.nl/storm-eunice/6185065/schade-aan-spoor-is-groot-mogelijk-tot-in-de-middag-geen-treinen.html

Vluchten geannuleerd

Op Schiphol zijn vandaag van de 1000 vluchten zo'n 420 geannuleerd. Zolang de wind uit westelijke richting komt zijn er minder banen beschikbaar. Vandaag en de komende dagen zal er ook nog minder capaciteit zijn, maar een goed beeld van wat dat voor passagiers betekent heeft de luchthaven nog niet, zegt een woordvoerder.

Schade storm Eunice te groot: deze ochtend zeker nog geen NS-treinen

Laatst gewijzigd: 18 februari 2022, 22.05 uur

ProRail is inmiddels druk bezig met het controleren van het spoor. Dit is door de aanhoudende harde wind nog niet overal mogelijk. Dit betekent dat er deze ochtend helaas nog geen treinen kunnen rijden. Wanneer dat wel weer mogelijk is, is op dit moment nog niet te zeggen, houd er rekening mee dat het tot in de middag kan duren. Plan uw reis kort voor vertrek.

dkeng Feb 19, 2022 1:43 am

Surely the number 420 must refer to yesterday? Today looks nowhere near as bad, flightaware counts 54 cancellations today and the board at schiphol.nl seems fairly consistent with that.

https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled/today/ams

Xandrios Feb 19, 2022 8:58 am

Boy am I glad that I didn't plan to travel to AMS (by train) this morning (2h journey), but rather yesterday noon. Wouldn't have been possible today - and resulted in an expensive taxi bill most likely. Even now in the evening most train lines are still not running.

I've stayed at the HI express hoofddorp. Very basic, but affordable and fine for a day of remote work. And that was an easy trip to the airport from there this morning.

Flights seemed mostly to be operating, though many having some amount of delay. We departed about 30 min behind schedule.

Ardecos Feb 20, 2022 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios (Post 34005908)
Boy am I glad that I didn't plan to travel to AMS (by train) this morning (2h journey), but rather yesterday noon. Wouldn't have been possible today - and resulted in an expensive taxi bill most likely. Even now in the evening most train lines are still not running.

I've stayed at the HI express hoofddorp. Very basic, but affordable and fine for a day of remote work. And that was an easy trip to the airport from there this morning.

Flights seemed mostly to be operating, though many having some amount of delay. We departed about 30 min behind schedule.

I often stayed at HIX in Hoofddorp for short visits, as you say it is easy to reach from Schiphol by train and connections are good. However, it is more than 18 months since I was able to stay and at that time there was a lot of building work going on around the hotel. Did you notice how it is progressing?

curiousexplorer Feb 20, 2022 11:16 am

Passed through Amsterdam yesterday and spent 6h in the lounge, no major issues overall. Just a weird delay due to “shortage of staff” for the Edinburgh flight (first delayed due to shortage of cabin crew, then we boarded and they had shortage of the ground staff and couldn’t have our luggage boarded). But in the end we arrived with a 1h delay in Edinburgh.

So overall it was surprisingly calm in AMS. The lounge was also relatively empty (non-Schengen), and until 18:00 was surprisingly well stocked (was afraid after reading horror stories here that it would be much worse) and quite good.

Xandrios Feb 20, 2022 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Ardecos (Post 34008567)
I often stayed at HIX in Hoofddorp for short visits, as you say it is easy to reach from Schiphol by train and connections are good. However, it is more than 18 months since I was able to stay and at that time there was a lot of building work going on around the hotel. Did you notice how it is progressing?

I'm not sure what the exact state was 18m ago, however it was still quite a mess. When arriving (From direction of the trainstation) the site on the left (across the road from the hotel) is being worked on. And in such manner that the road is closed going forward (it basically ends at the HIX hotel now). I do have to say that I did not notice any noise from that building site during my visit though.

At 60 euro or so it's a very affordable option for Schiphol, including simple/light breakfast. Though, walking back to the train station, I noticed a Novotel right next to the station which I may give a try next time. It has a somewhat better location in relation to public transport. The hotel shuttle busses don't seem to run any more.

olivedel Feb 20, 2022 7:55 pm

MEX-AMS-LHR

Flying tonight from MEX to LHR through AMS.
got notified of a 1h delay on arrival that is likely to make us make our connection in AMS.
Got the worst possible servicing over the phone, called the Platinum lounge and got the post helpless agent (French speaking)
we tried to reach the platinum line with the account of my wife (English speaking) and gave up after 1.5h.
The French line after insisting accepted to book me two seats in Y on the last AMS-LHR tomorrow in case I can’t make the 40 min connection.
At check-in in MEX, no mention of the delay whatsoever, and bags were checked in normally on our original flight.
let’s see tomorrow, I am a little worried because I have a business trip to GRU right after on a separate ticket.